rear wing gaskets by jon m
Started on: 03-13-2014 12:23 PM
Replies: 16 (1280 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 12-19-2020 01:48 PM
jon m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi - does anyone produce the rear wing gaskets other than fierostore as theirs don't seem to be the right size.
I do still have the original ones but seem to be a bit of a pain to fit them right.

all opinions welcomed

jon
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't heard of another source. Here is what I did.... warm them up in a pan of hot water (boiling?) to soften, then install. Also, get something to seal the bolt/thread holes, as the "gaskets" don't do a good job and it could leak later (into your trunk).
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Store had them at one time, They sort of fit.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like an opportunity.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Find a sheet of neoprene rubber on Ebay or cut up an old innertube from a tire. I would go with the neoprene though.
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 04:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

Sounds like an opportunity.

it does - I've found that the fierostore's version doesn't really fit - ihave had mine oem ones in a bucket of hot soapy water which did help but are still a little difficult to have them fit perfectly without bending the raised edge in places.

jon
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if any mirror gaskets would happen to fit Fiero wing stands? See following examples on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/197...&hash=item3f155ae8cd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cor...em1e896c27df&vxp=mtr

If anyone is near one of these Vendors perhaps they could ask to do a trial fit on the wing stands.
Or would it be possible to make moulds from a good set of wing stand gaskets and use liquid rubber poured into the moulds to make new gaskets? There should be a few manufacturers that make rubber gaskets for automakers.

Does anyone know where or who made the initial Fiero wing gaskets? Too bad the Fiero store gaskets don't fit properly, perhaps they could ask their source to improve the fitment of their gaskets. Just throwing this out there as ideas.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I managed to get some deformed OEM gaskets to fit properly by putting them into a pan of very warm water. While they were still warm and pliable, I placed them onto the base of the stands so that the lip fit around the stand properly. In my case, the lip on both sides had somehow managed to get underneath the stand and were crimped down. The warm water made them pliable enough that I could reshape them around the stands. That might also work with the Fiero Store gaskets. I wouldn't suggest a hair dryer since that heat is applied in only one area. Warm water spreads the heat evenly.

Since a similar style wing was used on other GM cars, You might find something on the F-Body forums.
http://www.thirdgen.org/

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 04-16-2014).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

I managed to get some deformed OEM gaskets to fit properly by putting them into a pan of very warm water. While they were still warm and pliable, I placed them onto the base of the stands so that the lip fit around the stand properly. In my case, the lip on both sides had somehow managed to get underneath the stand and were crimped down. The warm water made them pliable enough that I could reshape them around the stands. That might also work with the Fiero Store gaskets. I wouldn't suggest a hair dryer since that heat is applied in only one area. Warm water spreads the heat evenly.

Yup, I used nearly boiling water.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested in a set also. A shame that the Fiero Store's don't fit properly.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll shed some light of the Fiero Store gaskets. The issue is that the physical size of the entire gasket is too small. It's as if the company who makes them measured the inside diameter of the stand bases instead of the outside diameter. The top photo is a cross section of how the wingstand should fit into the gasket. The lower picture is what occurs with the Fiero Store gaskets. You would have to be able to increase the entire size of the gasket for it to fit, otherwise the wingstand sits in the gasket like my bottom picture. There is no way to "stretch" the lip. The entire gasket would have to be stretched from the center outwards so it is entirely a different size and then it would sit correctly as demonstrated in the blue line in the top picture.
PFF
System Bot
jim94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jim94Send a Private Message to jim94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about sticky back foam from the hobby store.
fieroparts.com

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 185
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2018 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroparts.comClick Here to visit fieroparts.com's HomePageSend a Private Message to fieroparts.comEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1984-87 20559922 same both sides
1988 20593130 right 20593131 Left

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2018 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are the outside dimensions of the wing stands at the base of the stands?

So, the pre-'88 gaskets and '88 gaskets aren't interchangeable?
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2020 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The gaskets they carry now are a lot better than the firsts ones they came out with.

A lot more flexible.

Not expensive and worth trying.

I bought 4 pairs and gave 1 pair to jelly2m8.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

FieroStore

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2020 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroStoreClick Here to visit FieroStore's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroStoreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

The gaskets they carry now are a lot better than the firsts ones they came out with.

Thank you for noticing! Indeed, the gaskets we have now are from a different manufacturer with a completely new mold. The only issue you might have with these new gaskets is the bolt pattern. GM used more than one bolt pattern, so if yours doesn't match ours, you will need to drill a new hole or two.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2020 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroStore:

Thank you for noticing! Indeed, the gaskets we have now are from a different manufacturer with a completely new mold. The only issue you might have with these new gaskets is the bolt pattern. GM used more than one bolt pattern, so if yours doesn't match ours, you will need to drill a new hole or two.

That sounds like good news. I knew that you guys would get it right as all of the other repro parts that you sell fit like a glove.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock