4 speed tranmission questions by Mark A. Klein
Started on: 03-09-2014 12:58 PM
Replies: 5 (211 views)
Last post by: Mark A. Klein on 03-11-2014 10:28 AM
Mark A. Klein

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, I just bought a 4 speed. Will any of the other shift cables work from either 5 speed? Or will either 5 speed shifter work or drive axles? I have both a getrag and Isuzu...
Thanks Mark Klein
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The axles will work just fine, but the shift cables aren't interchangeable.
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suppose I need a different shift then too?
If I end up going junkyarding, will the FWD shifter and cables work out of a 4 speed sunbird / citation?

[This message has been edited by Mark A. Klein (edited 03-10-2014).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would certainly be easier to get the four speed shifter than trying to modify the five speed shifter to work! Also, the shift cables from a FWD car won't be long enough to reach the Fiero transmission. The 4 speed shifter from a Sunbird or Citation might work... although I'd be willing to bet the shift pattern is reversed on those. Surely someone must be selling a Fiero shifter in the Mall. You can get the proper new cables from the Fiero Store for a decent price.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might be able to make any of them work with some mods, but as they are, they won't work. FWD cables are usually shorter. The Fiero cables all have a different retainer at the transmission, that being one cause for not interchanging. Some have converted the 4 and 5 speed Fiero shifters to work on the other, but it probably would require some work. Isuzu and Getrag shifters are interchangeable, but the 4-speed is designed for reverse to be left and up. Just opposite of the 5 speeds. I have a good 4-speed that came off one of my 85's when I converted them to Isuzus.

Check your PM's.
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2014 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I need a ribbed case, 4 speed shifter and cables I guess. Any body got these? I guess I will post in the mall. Thanks!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock