What is this plastic "blade"? by Quad Raider
Started on: 03-07-2014 12:21 PM
Replies: 34 (1258 views)
Last post by: Quad Raider on 04-23-2014 09:57 AM
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is an '85 or '86 GT sitting in my favorite junkyard. The car has a sunroof, so I assume this plastic blade has something to do with that.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wind deflector for when sunroof is removed.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 03-07-2014).]

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ah, ok. Thank you. The only Fiero I've ever spent time with is my own, which doesn't have a sunroof. Should I grab this one in case someone else needs it?
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Grab it, all of the sunroof storage mounts, the sunroof and the whole top panel so you can have a sunroof.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should take a snapshot of the RPO sticker on the driver side inner wheel well near the brake booster assembly that way we can see serial and options on that fiero.
regards
Danyel

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what year is it? if its an 84 the blade is a bit different than the 85+
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I visited the yard on my lunch break. It's an '85 GT. I didn't think to get a photo of the RPO sticker but I may be able to do that on Sunday.

I had a sunroof on my '92 GTZ and I was not a fan. It made the car significantly hotter in warm weather and Oklahoma's summers don't need any help in that department. Plus, it leaked.

On the other hand, being able to remove the sunroof seems as though it would be a cool feature.
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

I had a sunroof on my '92 GTZ and I was not a fan.

I here people say nightmare things about cars they have owned with sunroofs,
Please let me just say the Vista roofs are totally different experience...

They are larger than about any thing out there making a feel like a targa top..
Very easy and quick to remove and store,...
They are not noisy or uncomfortable when driving with them out(even if the wind deflector is not installed).
All the hard ware and the seal is easy to find and replace,and I believe fairly priced.....

The sunshade is a must though if you are in a sunny climate....

[This message has been edited by fireboss (edited 03-07-2014).]

fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fireboss

2248 posts
Member since Apr 2011
oops 1

fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fireboss

2248 posts
Member since Apr 2011
oops 2

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I generally won't buy a car without a sunroof of some kind.
PFF
System Bot
Doober

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally I love the sunroof in mine, and I'm in hot & sunny AZ... I do need a sunroof shade...
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I love having a sunroof on my Fiero. I have it cracked open 100% of the time when driving... rain or shine. Water does not enter the cab.

However, the only time I ever took the sunroof completely off before I went for a long drive... I got a helluva sunburn... and I live in the frozen north!
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doober, I lived I Phoenix for five years so I know it's a dry heat out there. It's definitely NOT a dry heat in Oklahoma.

All of you sunroof supporters have caused me to rethink my anti-sunroof stance. How hard is it to change out the roof of a Fiero? The roof on my coupe needs some work, anyway, but the roof on the salvage yard car is in pretty good shape.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How hard is it to change out the roof of a Fiero?

The toughest part by far is removing the sunroof (I'm referring to the entire thing of course) from a donor Fiero without breaking it. I've done it twice now successfully. Takes time and patience.

For more details on how to do it, use the search function here to read the several threads that have been posted on this topic.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-09-2014).]

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it easier to cut a hole in my coupe and install the sunroof and frame, or change over the whole roof?
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quad Raider

865 posts
Member since Dec 2010
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is it easier to cut a hole in my coupe and install the sunroof and frame, or change over the whole roof?

It's not a matter of what might be "easier", it's a matter of doing it properly.

Change over the roof.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Poor choice of words on my part. I should have asked which method makes the best finished product.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a huge sunroof on my 2007 Mustang convertible.
fireboss

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I have a huge sunroof on my 2007 Mustang convertible.

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had 2 glasses for my Ferrari kit. One was the factory tinted, other I sandblasted and painted black to match the roof. It was usually much nicer to have the painted one in unless I was on a trip.
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I grew up in Michigan, I know what you mean about humidity, but the sun isn't near as direct up there.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will check the salvage tomorrow to see if the car is still there. If it is, I will go back Saturday to remove the roof. Not sure I will have help, can I do it by myself or is it a two-man job?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2014 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've done this task twice by myself. I have no friends.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I've done this task twice by myself. I have no friends.

We're your friends, Patrick
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quad Raider

865 posts
Member since Dec 2010
I checked on my lunch hour and it's still there. Here are the RPO codes:

And here's the VIN in case anyone cares:

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quad Raider

865 posts
Member since Dec 2010
Oops.

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 04-23-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We're your friends, Patrick

Looking at my ratings bar, I'd have to say that perhaps just over half of you are.

In regards to removing the roof assembly, preferably do it on a hot day, or at least a day that hopefully the sun has been shining on the car. That'll make it much easier to saw through the black stuff which sticks the fiberglass roof to the metal body. The long bead of this stuff all along the top, near the edge of the windshield, was quite a challenge to cut through on one of the roofs I removed. The second one was much easier. I think a lot depends on how much goop was applied at the factory.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-12-2014).]

Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spent three hours in the salvage removing the roof, and other items, from the 85 GT. Had some problems.

Here's the whole car:

Couldn't get three of the bolts on the back edge of the roof to release and damaged the fiberglass trying to get them loose. Finally ended up ripping out the weatherstripping and driving them out from above.

Managed to get the roof off, but I cracked both A pillars and the part in front of the windshield disintegrated.

I followed the guidance that was offered on this forum and I would add a couple of things. First, it would be much easier to have help. Second, make yourself four or five wooden wedges to place under the front of the roof near the windshield. I'd make them about a foot long and an inch or two thick at one end. Push them under the roof from the sunroof opening. The A pillars cracked as I was trying to lift the roof where the A pillar meets the top and there's just no way to get the proper leverage.

I hid these parts in the salvage for now because I'm not sure they're worth paying for. I know I could fix the damaged fiberglass, but is it possible to find a replacement for the metal track?

[This message has been edited by Quad Raider (edited 03-15-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

....make yourself four or five wooden wedges to place under the front of the roof near the windshield. I'd make them about a foot long and an inch or two think at one end. Push them under the roof from the sunroof opening.

Come to think of it, that's what I did. I forget for sure whether I used long pieces of wood (I probably did, but hey, it was quite awhile ago!), but I did use a whole bunch of wooden clothes pegs that I had split up. They were like little wedges.

I hid these parts in the salvage for now because I'm not sure they're worth paying for.

I would consider what you did to be "practice". IMO, find another candidate for a roof panel.
PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I removed mine, it was in my garage, I used a heat gun to soften that black stuff and it worked quite well. . I only heated the area I was working on. I was able not to break anything
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I did mine car I had a parts car to take the parts from. I cut the roof 1/2 way between the front of the sun roof and the top back edge of the front windsheld. Then I unbolted it and just lifted it off. To put it on my car I cleaned up the edge that I cut, layed it on my car right where it was going to go, marked the line and cut it. Then I bolted the new one on, repaired the fiberglass, and painted it. DONE!
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2014 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FFIEROFRED:

When I did mine car I had a parts car to take the parts from. I cut the roof 1/2 way between the front of the sun roof and the top back edge of the front windsheld. Then I unbolted it and just lifted it off. To put it on my car I cleaned up the edge that I cut, layed it on my car right where it was going to go, marked the line and cut it. Then I bolted the new one on, repaired the fiberglass, and painted it. DONE!

That's an interesting method. What did you make the cut with? The windshield on my car is in great shape so I'm a little worried about removing the stock roof and your method obviously eliminates that problem.

The salvage yard roof could be saved, especially if I can find a replacement for the metal frame that's riveted to it. Anyone know if replacements are available?
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2014 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After much deliberation I decided to buy the roof, the glass and all the other parts that go with it. In case anyone was wondering, a Fiero roof will fit in the back of a '96 Jeep Cherokee, even if you don't take out all the other junk you've been carrying around.

After I removed the roof from that Fiero, I couldn't bear the thought of all the other good parts on it going to the crusher. I removed the entire interior (including the dash), the doors (all power), interior wiring harness and other odds and ends. They're all hidden in another car at the salvage.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock