Started on: 03-02-2014 12:22 AM
Replies: 5 (189 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-03-2014 10:54 AM
lildevil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone done it? What dye did you use and how did it turn out? I need to redo mine in black. I've used the rattle can dye but it didn't cover the way I wanted and made the belts stiff. I was thinking using RIT but was wondering if theres something new everyone was using.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lildevil...clean them very WELL...get ALL the salt and dirt out of them and then let them dry completely first or the dye will not hold well or evenly.

Now drench these belts in several coats on both sides of the belt with dupli-color interior cloth and vinyl dye.

Let them completely dry...They will be a little stiff at first like you mentioned...just work them a little with your hands for a few minutes rolling the belt mesh and they loosen up very nicely.

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 03-02-2014).]

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive never seen any dye (like RIT) stick on Nylon belts. Some of the spray can paint for vinyl may work, but its only temporary. You can order custom belts in any color you want. I know a lot of muscle car owners that have gotten them to match their original interior colors.
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Best thing you can do is get brand new belts in Black material. I bought some from Phil back in the day. Best thing ever. I have a feeling dye will loosen up I'm sure over time, but it will never have that loose soft feeling that you get with new ones that are not sprayed on color. Just my opinion though.
lildevil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2014 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd love to replace the belts but with two kids less then 2 years old the funds won't allow it. I may try the dupli color again since your belts look alot better then the way mine came out TXOPIE.

------------------

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dyeing seat belt, even washing, can change the belt fabric is bad ways. Dye can reduce belt strength.

Rit and many other won't work. Dye that works will "attack" the Nylon and alter the chemistry. May look ok to you but tension strength can be reduce allot. Not Good in a wreck.

Pull out the belt and carefully block the belt from retracting.
Clean with Simple Green, Woolite, etc. then let belt dry completely.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock