Ferrari 348 Style Tail Lights? by FieroFanatic13
Started on: 02-26-2014 03:08 PM
Replies: 24 (2386 views)
Last post by: Rare87GT on 03-05-2014 09:18 PM
FieroFanatic13

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am thinking about doing something custom/non-stock for my tail lights when I swap my fastback pieces onto my '87 4.9 coupe this spring. I've looked and looked for options other than stock fastback tail lights which I personally do not like due to how tall they are and how they visually narrow the rear of the car. I know there have been people who have painted lines on oem gt tail lights, but I've not seen I can remember that did it like the Ferrari actually is done.

That said, though I KNOW some people will say "those are awful because they are dated," or something similar. I am okay with them looking "dated" because MY CAR IS DATED, lol. The 348 style tail lights styles are close age/style wise because the 348 IS older- and I personally like them better than my MORE dated fastback tail lights.

That also said, there were a couple different 348 tail light styles. I am referring primarily to the "grilled" or "louvered" style as seen in these pics because A) They stink of the 80's, lol and because B) they'll be fairly easy to do something similar on a Fiero. All I need is a set of plain jane flat rectangular tail lights and materials to build the slats/louvers out of.

Anyone else think this might look decent on a fastback Fiero?

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 02-26-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
AstroBDean

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AstroBDeanSend a Private Message to AstroBDeanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it would look great. The 348 was one of the last Ferraris that I liked the look of. Seems like with some moderate fabrication skills it should be fairly simple too (at least compared to other designs).
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You wont want to buy actual Ferrari tail lights...they will cost as much as your average Fiero. Some you might look at are early 80s Mercury Capri (there direct bolt ins on 80s Mustangs and have a similar look), or 70s/ 80s Firebird/ Trans Am tailights. Those are just a couple off hand I know of. I put the Capris in my 85 Mustang GT and they looked great.
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

You wont want to buy actual Ferrari tail lights...they will cost as much as your average Fiero. Some you might look at are early 80s Mercury Capri (there direct bolt ins on 80s Mustangs and have a similar look), or 70s/ 80s Firebird/ Trans Am tailights. Those are just a couple off hand I know of. I put the Capris in my 85 Mustang GT and they looked great.

Thanks for the input and ideas! And no, I'm not looking to buy real Ferrari tail lighst, lol. I've been searching for tail lights from other vehicles that are simple and flat though. Actually considered the Capri but haven't researched them yet. And I am watching some 70's Firebird tails on ebay as well. Depth of the housings will be an issue to watch for but many are pretty shallow.Possibly a set of nicer trailer or tractor trailer tails might fit the bill as well.

If you think of any others please do let me know! I think that if I can figure out how to easily build the louvers that I will go this route.
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroFanatic13

3521 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Originally posted by AstroBDean:

I think it would look great. The 348 was one of the last Ferraris that I liked the look of. Seems like with some moderate fabrication skills it should be fairly simple too (at least compared to other designs).

Me as well- though I DO like the F355. But I don't really care for the round tails that everyone seems to prefer- both modding stock fastback tails or when using the single fiberglass panels. I like the rectangular classic styles I guess. I just can't understand why I haven't seen anyone else do this yet. I sure someone HAS, but I've not come across it yet!

[This message has been edited by FieroFanatic13 (edited 02-26-2014).]

dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
conquest tsi88 Chrysler Conquest taillights would be a great choice too their really flat. i always thought the TSI was like dodges version of the Fiero. short run as well

[This message has been edited by dematrix86gt (edited 02-26-2014).]

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dematrix86gt:

conquest tsi88 Chrysler Conquest taillights would be a great choice too their really flat. i always thought the TSI was like dodges version of the Fiero. short run as well

They have potential- but I am really hoping to find a set of tails that don't really have any sort of "wraparound" on the outside corners. Almost have to go with some older cars where they still have corner lights on bumpers/fenders like our Fieros have. Makes it tougher!
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2014 charger taillights have no wrap around and cut down with louvers across them on a fiero would be tight as hell!!!! and im seeing alot of them hit the salvage yards now.
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2014 charger taillights have no wrap around and cut down with louvers across them on a fiero would be tight as @#!*% !!!! and im seeing alot of them hit the salvage yards now.

Love the new Charger tails. Find me a set! LOL

Seriously. None around my neck of the woods. Plus, they are probably pricey!
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could possibly use Chrysler k car lights or 80's Plymouth turismo (duster) lights. Very flat, should be cheap if you can find them, I don't think there would be a very big market for either one.

Edit for another thought, Chrysler Lebaron lights are very flat, especially the trunk section and no wrap around and taller than k car or duster I think, so would probably be a closer fit to fiero rear panel area, maybe find two trunk sections.

[This message has been edited by zmcdonal (edited 02-26-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I actually have a rear light grill, and full sets of lights for a 348 stored in a shipping crate in my garage, left over from when I converted my 348 lights to round lights.
I'd sell it to you for $1500 +shipping.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think my Chrysler ES600 (K-car) had similar tail lights.
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Old school Flat

That link is for a Delorean tail light. But interesting.
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroFanatic13

3521 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Originally posted by zmcdonal:

Could possibly use Chrysler k car lights or 80's Plymouth turismo (duster) lights. Very flat, should be cheap if you can find them, I don't think there would be a very big market for either one.

Edit for another thought, Chrysler Lebaron lights are very flat, especially the trunk section and no wrap around and taller than k car or duster I think, so would probably be a closer fit to fiero rear panel area, maybe find two trunk sections.

I thought about the k cars too. Haven't look at any yet though. I've also wondered about the "trunk" sections on many vehicles- but I've found that they sometimes don't fit dual filament bulbs which is a problem.
FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroFanatic13

3521 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Originally posted by Falcon Fiero:

I actually have a rear light grill, and full sets of lights for a 348 stored in a shipping crate in my garage, left over from when I converted my 348 lights to round lights.

Funy that you even posted this here. Further up we discussed how expensive real 348 tails would be and how that wasn't what I was looking for! (:
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFanatic13:

Funy that you even posted this here. Further up we discussed how expensive real 348 tails would be and how that wasn't what I was looking for! (:

I've seen used set of lights go for as much as $1600, since I was including the grill with it, I thought I was giving you a good deal!
I thought you had a cool idea, and I would love to see my lights be re-purposed... My apologies.

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've seen used set of lights go for as much as $1600, since I was including the grill with it, I thought I was giving you a good deal!
I thought you had a cool idea, and I would love to see my lights be re-purposed... My apologies.

I wasn't intending to be negative! I was laughing a little was all. Heck, my Fiero cost $1,000! I'm not saying it wasn't a good price, and IF I had a nicer Fiero and the $ I'd probably try to do it!
I FAR I

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2014 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I FAR ISend a Private Message to I FAR IEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PM sent
DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2014 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that is a beauty in the original poster pic. wow
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dont get discouraged , its a awsome concept. i wanna see what you come up with.
PFF
System Bot
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This isnt what your looking for but has potential.
2010 Kia soulTail Lights,you can find the video on youtube.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many of you may have seen my posts on the GT aftermarket tail lights idea I am working on. I have not wanted to disclose my design but I guess I'm going to have to. I have been looking at this for a very long time now. More than a few years. Especially since the GM GT tail light dies are now gone. My idea is to make a 348 type kit. Mine will use DOT/SAE reverse, brake, directional assemblies. I have a steel rear trunk/space frame section and GT rear section here. A pair of old GT lens assemblies, GT bumper etc. I'm going to set that all up for R&D and try to make up a nice kit. This will require bending and welding jigs for the slats etc. Plus brackets to hold in the new lens assemblies. Probably a lot of R&D before I would have something to sell. But if someone else is going to make them I would not. I just bought a few different tail light assemblies to look at.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

FieroFanatic13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFanatic13Send a Private Message to FieroFanatic13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

Many of you may have seen my posts on the GT aftermarket tail lights idea I am working on. I have not wanted to disclose my design but I guess I'm going to have to. I have been looking at this for a very long time now. More than a few years. Especially since the GM GT tail light dies are now gone. My idea is to make a 348 type kit. Mine will use DOT/SAE reverse, brake, directional assemblies. I have a steel rear trunk/space frame section and GT rear section here. A pair of old GT lens assemblies, GT bumper etc. I'm going to set that all up for R&D and try to make up a nice kit. This will require bending and welding jigs for the slats etc. Plus brackets to hold in the new lens assemblies. Probably a lot of R&D before I would have something to sell. But if someone else is going to make them I would not. I just bought a few different tail light assemblies to look at.

Rodney,

I certainly don't have any designs on selling these. This is a DIY project I am embarking upon. Glad to hear that you might have something in the works though! If you were quicker, I might be your first customer! Or a TESTER! LOL...

Gary

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2014 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

That could be very very cool! Looking forward to seeing this in the coming months!

------------------

Best 1/4: 11.7 @ 115mph
Best 60ft: 1.60

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock