Is this guy serious? by mckaymotoworks
Started on: 02-25-2014 10:20 PM
Replies: 18 (866 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 03-11-2014 01:06 PM
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe he meant uncommon or maybe I am just ignorant.
Rare MY8
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, it's pretty "rare", and by that I mean you almost never see one, demand isn't really high for it anymore because of the F40/F23 in recent times. His facts are correct from what I could tell. The price is kinda steep, but honestly, where are you going to actually find another MY8? They are (were?) in demand for quite some time by Fiero owners AND other FWD GM cars of the time period, because the Fiero MY8 is the ONLY 4-speed with that .73 4th.

I got an MY8 2 years ago by buying the whole car and parting the rest out. I changed direction and sold it (for a good amount), but I'm sure that's the only MY8 I'll see like that again.
sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If he gets $1000 for it then mine is coming out immediately.

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found 10+ 1984 4 speeds showing on Car-Parts.com within 300 miles of me, surely at least one of those is a MY8 and non are over $500.,
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I honestly doubt any of those are MY8s..only 7100 or so were made 30+ years ago. I have seen a low milage MY8 sell for $750 before.
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mckaymotoworks:

I found 10+ 1984 4 speeds showing on Car-Parts.com within 300 miles of me, surely at least one of those is a MY8 and non are over $500.,

I would bet none of them have the MY8.

Like has been mentioned it was a fairly rare item to come across. There were around 134,000 1984 Fieros made with roughly 7,100 of them coming in with a MY8, and with the high demand of that particular transmission some years ago most of the confirmed MY8 cars were snatched up by Fiero enthusiasts on the used market pretty quick and hacked up or done with whatever. Really you have to have been around the active community about 15-20 years ago to understand why this transmission was so sought after before the more modern swap options were pushed for Fieros.
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sco77:

If he gets $1000 for it then mine is coming out immediately.

why do you have a MY8 trans in your 3800 car? O.o
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

Really you have to have been around the active community about 15-20 years ago to understand why this transmission was so sought after before the more modern swap options were pushed for Fieros.

That was the assumption I came to. There was more to the story than I knew at the time, which as now been confirmed. With the damage, what would be the value of this?

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mckaymotoworks

521 posts
Member since Jan 2014
I worked it out with the seller and got it for $700 as we're keeping the car fairly original with emphasis on MPG so this should pair nicely.
Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just stuff in a 5 speed from an 85 and get even better milage.
PFF
System Bot
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero STS:

Just stuff in a 5 speed from an 85 and get even better milage.

As tempting as that is, we'd prefer to keep the car as close to original as possible.
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I owned one.

Now there is one less, makes his even rarer. Ray
dematrix86gt

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ill see your 1000.00 trans and raise you a Burnt and melted Lamb motor for 15,900.00 Motor Ha ha The ad says Intake has some light damage but useable. LMBO its melted in the Valley.

[This message has been edited by dematrix86gt (edited 02-26-2014).]

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've only ever seen one and its pretty much because I tripped over it... their rare.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by mckaymotoworks:

As tempting as that is, we'd prefer to keep the car as close to original as possible.

If its an 84 than their is not much point in doing so... the transmission is pretty much worth more than the car is in some cases.

------------------

Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
(84 IMSA) garage queen
(13 Veloster) daily grinder
(86 basterdized mera) fake ferrari
(84 fastback IMSA) confused lil one
The forums Youngest CDL driver

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

If its an 84 than their is not much point in doing so... the transmission is pretty much worth more than the car is in some cases.

Good thing we're doing it for our own enjoyment then eh?

Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2014 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what is this transmission really worth? When I got laid off of work, I sold mine for $300 in 2005 with all of the shifter, cables pedals, axles, transmission, etc..... including shipping. So I basically got $200 for the transmission and $100 to ship. Boy I wish I could have kept it!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2014 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mark A. Klein:

So what is this transmission really worth? ...

Looks like these sold last year, not sure if he got asking price.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/067752.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock