Loose plugs by nathnn99
Started on: 02-18-2014 01:47 AM
Replies: 8 (268 views)
Last post by: nathnn99 on 02-18-2014 08:19 PM
nathnn99

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nathnn99Send a Private Message to nathnn99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, as a new Fiero owner as of about three months ago, I am going through my procedure to change out all fluids and do a tune up on my new car. This weekend, then next thin in line to change is the spark plugs. I go to pull the boot off of my first plug and the boot comes off, but the wire breaks and the clamp is still on the plug. Okay, no big deal. I wanted to upgrade away from the 7mm wires that came with it, and I guess now is the right time, lol. Got a new set of wires, and continue on.

As I get to the plugs at the front of the motor, they literally twisted off by hand. I didn't need a ratchet or anything! The car was running fine, and the plugs I pulled out while old did have any-seize on them, but dang! I am used to turning plugs in an iron block motor until it crushes the crush washer and locks it in place. Hand tight doesn't seem safe! Was I lucky to find this now, or is that normal for these cars, and I am just a noob and shouldn't worry about it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nathnn99:

Hand tight doesn't seem safe! Was I lucky to find this now, or is that normal for these cars...

Not normal.

By the way, what the heck is "any-seize"?
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am sure you meant anti-seize, welcome to the Fiero addiction! Whoever installed the plugs before you did not tighten them down enough. Make sure you use anti-seize on the new plugs. Another must on your check list is to remove the HAVC blower motor and the resistor and clean the leaves and debris out of the blower housing, it will prevent a fire!
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do not get anything fancy for when you do the plugs and wires. You'll find many threads here on PFF of individuals who have issues because they purchased various ignition components meant to improve performance. Pick up simple AC Delco R42TS plugs and a good plug wire set (The Fiero Store has a near OEM replacement made by STI that is in the correct red color and size, or similar), and a good OEM style replacement cap and rotor.

You will also want to purchase a spare ICM and coil, even if they're junk yard used from a salvaged L44 V6 Fiero, some dielectric grease, and keep it all with you in the car with the proper tools to change them both out (I carry a small box) for when one goes out and strands you on the side of the road. Won't be if it's going to happen but "when" it will happen.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
True story. I was doing some fiberglass work at an RV dealership after hours. One of the employees was working on his own car as they were allowed. He said it had a bunch of bad lifters because it ran rough and was making a lot of loud ticking. He took off the valve covers, pulled the rocker arms and pushrods out to find the bad lifters. For whatever reason, another guy helping was pulling out the spark plugs. They were all just hand tight. The ticking was from the air leaking past them on and off, along with the rough running. They put everything all back together, tightened the plugs and it ran fine. Great way to kill 4-5 hours I guess.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

I am sure you meant anti-seize...

Spoilsport. I wanted the OP to explain himself.

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Count yourself as LUCKY! Most of us find the plugs, especially the ones against the firewall rusted in so tight it takes a minor miracle to get them out. Anti-seize is your friend.

[This message has been edited by steve308 (edited 02-18-2014).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just to point out the obvious......it only takes a little bit of anti-sieze on the seat area and the top of the threads. Don't go crazy with the stuff!
nathnn99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2014 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nathnn99Send a Private Message to nathnn99Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL, Thanks for the "any-seize" observation. My typing doesn't always keep up with my thoughts. I appreciate the insight. Put in Copper AC Delco plugs. Keeping those spare parts available is sound advice. It's been along time since I have had a treasure hunt at a stripping yard, so that gives me some stuff to hunt down.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock