140kmph speedo really :/ by FieroCanada
Started on: 02-16-2014 02:27 AM
Replies: 15 (477 views)
Last post by: Custom2M4 on 02-16-2014 09:25 PM
FieroCanada

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my speedo only goes up to 140kmph wich is about 87 mph. thats terrible, espcially with a 3800sc going in soon, what are some options to change this?, is there another gauge out of a fierro with a higer speedo, mine is from a 4 banger car, is there a v6 in km/h.
i know the 120 speedo but i dont want to have to read mph
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you might get lucky and find a 185kmh gauge. it's the same as the 120mph but metric(obviously) so it would match if you switched over to the backlit GT gauges.

Speedhut might make a 185kph overlay. You could get a set from them and use the backlit GT gauge package.

Other then that, it's all custom stuff that I know of.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-16-2014 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the 80s.

Even the Corvette speedo only went to 85 MPH when the C4 came out in 1984.

You can thank US federal regulations of the 80s for it. Even though you're in Canada, the cars were built with the US regulations in mind, and the only difference between the US speedo and the Canadian one, was that the KM/H was swapped to the large side for Canada.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whats the max speed limit in Canada...? 140kmph should be enough...
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah it's US DOT regulations as to why it reads the way it does. Most cars in the 80s read "85 MPH", and even those that did get higher speedometer readings, like the GT trim Fiero, still read in a "normal" way of what speed the car may possibly obtain; as in, there shouldn't be people operating a Fiero GT up to 120 MPH anyway in normal driving.

You can modify the stock gauge to read higher. Many kit car builders do this, and I even think Archie at one time was offering an higher reading overlay. I know for the tachometer there is a resistor and another piece that controls the movement of the tach. You simply modify the resistor and other piece and it controls how the gauge moves. I believe a similar setup is on the speedometer, but someone can chime in and correct me.

The other option would be many of the digital gauge kits out there, that do not have speed reading limits (or at least they do, but they're so high up they're unobtainable).

Remember ultimately though it's just a gauge.
Luke

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LukeClick Here to visit Luke's HomePageSend a Private Message to LukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Speedo swaps out of the cluster. Either swap speedos or the whole cluster. ( not sure if just swapping the Speedo requires wiring changes) My 3400 started as a 4 cylinder with the crappy Speedo.... but I also think I swapped the whole dash harness to get the extra centre console gauges. If you are doing a swap may as well go all the way.

There should be plenty parts cars around with the right harness I know I have a few.
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:
Even the Corvette speedo only went to 85 MPH when the C4 came out in 1984.

The 84 Corvette used a digital cluster and it had three digits so I doubt it maxed at 85mph.

[This message has been edited by Zac88GT (edited 02-16-2014).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-16-2014 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zac88GT:
The 84 Corvette used a digital cluster and it had three digits so I doubt it maxed at 85mph.

The 3rd digit was needed for Canada (so it would show 140 KM/H). Several GM vehicles were like that, but would only display up to 85 in the US (and would just flash if you exceeded it). Even though it was digital, it was electronically limited to comply with the US regulations at the time.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-16-2014 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Whats the max speed limit in Canada...? 140kmph should be enough...

I wonder one even has enough road to get the Iron Duke up to that speed. Falling down a mountain, maybe?
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The 3rd digit was needed for Canada (so it would show 140 KM/H). Several GM vehicles were like that, but would only display up to 85 in the US (and would just flash if you exceeded it). Even though it was digital, it was electronically limited to comply with the US regulations at the time.

The bar graph only goes to 85 but the digital readout clearly keeps going.

FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wonder one even has enough road to get the Iron Duke up to that speed. Falling down a mountain, maybe?

oh no , In saskatchewan you can watch your dog run away for days lol.
I have wrapped my 2.5 duke with 140kmph speedo all the way back to zero. ( just to see what the old thing can do
PFF
System Bot
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroCanada

195 posts
Member since Sep 2013
I geuss this may be a good idea for the summer
http://www.tlg-auto.com/fiero-digital-dash-kit/
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-16-2014 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh, right you are. But the bar graph does still only go to 85, and the OP is complaining about the "displayed max speed" on the speedo. So It's still a valid comparison.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do what I did with one years ago black out the smaller up to 85 mph in the inner track as well as the km/h marking so there is just the outer 140 then replace the crystal in the speedo so it will now read 140 mph. Will see if I can find the info on the crystal that is needed. Dan
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is the way my C4s were. I always thought it was weird it had 2 speedos. The bar graph one was more for dash bling.
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Find a gt cluster in the mall here and swap it in. Mine goes to 180 kph

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock