Winging it -- or not? by notaguru
Started on: 02-13-2014 07:46 PM
Replies: 50 (1459 views)
Last post by: dobey on 10-14-2014 09:56 AM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This '88GT has only 40k miles on it, and spent many years stored in the sun. I'm working hard to bring it back to life...

Before I paint it, a question. What's the general consensus regarding the WING??? Pros... Cons...

I admire Fieros with and without, and need help with the decision. It's red with gold wheels, if that's useful.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pros: looks cool, adds value to the car, and drops your coefficient of drag from 0.35 to 0.34
Cons: blocks about a third of your rearward vision
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took mine off, probably ten years ago. It wasn't original; it was a J.C. Whitney aftermarket look-alike wing and it was in bad shape. I lucked out by finding a perfect wingless GT decklid in the junkyard (right color, too) and made the swap without having to fill holes or paint.

I like it better this way.

onesexyfiero

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like both. I was back and forth for a long time, and finally settled on wingless, with a lip spoiler. Really glad I did. Looks better, easier to clean, wax, etc. more visibility, and less to go wrong, ie broken wing stands, water leaks...

[This message has been edited by onesexyfiero (edited 02-13-2014).]

notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm... that sounds interesting.

What's a "lip spoiler" - and do you have a photo?
onesexyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
kendallville

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendallvilleSend a Private Message to kendallvilleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it both ways, mine started without and I added one . Looks good ,does block some of the rear view ( not to bad ).
I do however think it adds more to the notch backs then the GT , they seem to have more of a visual appearance in the
back then the notches.
mine before

after
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good input!

I'll take off the wing tonight and drive it that way for a couple of days. I won't have to fill the holes - it's sunny and warm.
(But the earthquakes are scary, so stay away!)
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im going to paint mine this spring, im going to try and mock up taller wing stands and see if that helps the vision (doubtful) if not im going wingless also. I might add wingless looks really good with Good rear lenses. with rough lenses it takes away from the look. IMO
Ventura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VenturaSend a Private Message to VenturaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took the wing off of my Formula so I could compound and buff the paint. I liked the way it looked without it. But I had to put it back on after I popped the trunk with the switch. The deck lid flew up so hard I was afraid it was going to break something. Are there different springs used on the rear deck lid?
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was thinking about that. If the wing is removed, a similar weight should be placed on the INSIDE.

PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The springs are adjustable.
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

The springs are adjustable.

Good news - I didn't know that. How are they adjusted?
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like them!, as long as its a stock spoiler ONLY.

do not do something like this

( no offense to owner, to each there own )

but the fiero is not a honda civic ( looks bad on a civic too ) I hate the whole rice thing.
I think I should I keep a box of rice in my car and put it on someones car when I see that kind of thing next.
the other day i seen a early 2000'ish sebring with a huge wing on it. I almost puked.
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroCanada

195 posts
Member since Sep 2013

Originally posted by Ventura:

I took the wing off of my Formula so I could compound and buff the paint. I liked the way it looked without it. But I had to put it back on after I popped the trunk with the switch. The deck lid flew up so hard I was afraid it was going to break something. Are there different springs used on the rear deck lid?

Yes, the decklid springs are different on a spoiler car, as they are on a non spoiler car.
I found this out when I was searching for a 85 gt decklid for my SE.
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2014 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy Crap !! Look at those cantaloupe shooters hanging out the back!!!!

Originally posted by FieroCanada:

but the fiero is not a honda civic ( looks bad on a civic too ) I hate the whole rice thing.
I think I should I keep a box of rice in my car and put it on someones car when I see that kind of thing next.
the other day i seen a early 2000'ish sebring with a huge wing on it. I almost puked.

dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just had to!!!
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dematrix86gt:

I just had to!!!

lmfao, that ones funny, atleast I think that guy did it on purpose as a joke about ricers. Lol ( i hope)

[This message has been edited by FieroCanada (edited 02-14-2014).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, the decklid springs are different on a spoiler car...

The springs aren't different as far as I know, they're simply adjusted with greater tension by moving one end of each torsion rod into one of three different holes at the base of the hinge box. It's not as easily done as it is said, but it is doable. Check out this thread to get an idea how to go about it: www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives...130314-2-118078.html

In the second photo of the thread, you can clearly see the three holes that the torsion rod must fit into... on that particular car, the rod was in the middle hole.
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
would it not help to add one hood strut rod just to slow it down?
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ventura:

The Formula was the ONLY Fiero that came standard with the wing.
PFF
System Bot
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dematrix86gt:

I just had to!!!

This looks like it has one of those special flags hanging from the rearview mirror.

woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like them both . I think the wing makes the car look a little shorter - I ordered my 87 without the wing mostly because of rear vision but like it without.

------------------
woodys 427

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If this car is as you have described it, it's actually a bit of a rare oddity and I would not install a spoiler onto it.

For 1988 model Fieros, the only way to get the gold wheel option was on the 1988 GT model. However, the buyer ordering the car had to specifically check the RPO option for the gold wheel package (as it understand it, it was not an additional charge for gold wheels). Otherwise, a 1988 Fiero GT would be shipped with black wheels. Since most individuals who ordered their Fieros likely would have ordered many options, it probably is very odd to see a originally spoiler-less 1988 GT red with gold wheels.

Since there are very specific RPO codes for the gold wheels and the no-spoiler option outside the standard GT package, it would be a rather unique set of RPOs on the RPO tag.

I would be interested in what other options the car has. Sunroof? Beechwood? Driver's lumbar? Defrost and trunk release? etc.
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:.

I would be interested in what other options the car has. Sunroof? Beechwood? Driver's lumbar? Defrost and trunk release? etc.

I don't know what's standard and what's optional: thiis red '88GT has gold wheels, auto trans, power brakes, tan leather seats, floormats, sunroof, beechwood, defrost, remote trunk release, deluxe audio, air conditioning, tinted windshield, leather-wrapped steering wheel, electric windows and mirrors, and an anti-traffic levitation system... I'll check for lumbar the next time I work on it.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lumbar was not available with leather seating....
88FieroGT TTops

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have both---decklid with spoiler and without---some people like the "clean" look--I like the spoiler look--but I can do both this way

------------------
Pat Jones

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
without.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 02-14-2014).]

Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This car has a build thread somewhere on here, I forgot which it is though. And don't worry, that is a 'before' picture!

I'm debating taking the wing off my 86 GT. I think the GT's look better without them, and the notch back's look better with them.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BEFORE

AFTER

I prefer after

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

racingfortheson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for racingforthesonSend a Private Message to racingforthesonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the highjack, but where are y'all getting the rear lips?
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2014 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by racingfortheson:

Sorry for the highjack, but where are y'all getting the rear lips?

Fiero Warehouse
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like my notchie with its wing.

It also prevents the deck from flying up with enough force to launch a small, yappy dog into orbit.

[This message has been edited by PatrickTRoof (edited 02-15-2014).]

Jake_Dragon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its harder to keep clean with a wing.
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I prefer the fastback without the factory wing. The fiero warehouse lip is great have one on mine, and it adds to the flow of the fastback line. The notch backs do look better with the factory wing it gets rid of the aircraft carrier deck look. What annoyed me about my car when i bought it it was a factory wing delete and a previous owner drilled the deck lid.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 02-15-2014).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I personally prefer a lip spoiler, or a stock Fiero spoiler slid back a few inches (for example, with the TLG Auto stealth wing stands). But that's just me. Do whatever suits you.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notaguru:
I don't know what's standard and what's optional: thiis red '88GT has gold wheels, auto trans, power brakes, tan leather seats, floormats, sunroof, beechwood, defrost, remote trunk release, deluxe audio, air conditioning, tinted windshield, leather-wrapped steering wheel, electric windows and mirrors, and an anti-traffic levitation system... I'll check for lumbar the next time I work on it.

Then it has nearly every option. Everything you have listed is an option except the brakes are standard, floormats would have been standard, and I think it's about 30 years too early for the anti traffic levitation. Very desirable car, and even more of an oddity since it does not have a spoiler with the option list. There is a specific RPO on the fender tag for a "spoiler delete" (paraphrased way of saying it, as that's not what's it's officially called), but I cannot recall what it is exactly. If that RPO is in place then for sure you picked up a nice Fiero.

And yes as mentioned above it likely does not have lumbar if it has a leather interior. The lumbar would have only been available on the cloth seats, and is a rectangular switch control setup on the right side of the lower seat bottom. It presents a double-edge sword of sorts; it's somewhat impossible to get a fully loaded '88 GT with all options, since you would have to either give up the lumbar or give up the leather.

[This message has been edited by Fiero84Freak (edited 02-16-2014).]

notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! You are a serious Fierophile... THANKS! You've reinforced my intention to get the car completely straightened out after its many years parked in the sun.

The car has always had a wing on it - I started this thread to help me decide whether to keep it or remove it when I paint the car.

I still am not certain how to handle the torsion bar, though I have some 5/16" lexan to protect the window while I'm fooling with it.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:
It presents a double-edge sword of sorts; it's somewhat impossible to get a fully loaded '88 GT with all options, since you would have to either give up the lumbar or give up the leather.

And T-Top's. It was an "option" for 88's, (RPO: CJB)

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, LS376 and a GT clip
88 GT, SIII 3800NA/Auto swap underway
LS Build Thread: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/083204.html
LS on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAH9yjw6XR0
3800 build thread: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089035.html

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notaguru:

I still am not certain how to handle the torsion bar, though I have some 5/16" lexan to protect the window while I'm fooling with it.

Use some pillows or a mover's blanket along with some cardboard.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock