Snow chains by Zeak
Started on: 02-05-2014 08:18 PM
Replies: 8 (307 views)
Last post by: David Hambleton on 02-07-2014 08:30 PM
Zeak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeakSend a Private Message to ZeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I live in a small town and down a winding gravel road.
I got tired of having to walk to the main road to catch a ride because my
fiero could not make it out of my driveway.
She would be alot better with a limited slip, but this works WAY better than before.
Running the 14's that came on it helped too.
Any thoughts?

------------------

1988 Fiero 2.5

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's that kind of winter isn't it? Just be aware that if they get loose they can do a lot of damage on a plastic car.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would recommend a good set of winter tires and lose the chains. At some point they will come loose and if they do.... like he said the damage would be major. The car looks decent enough that I would recommend not taking that kind of a risk. I drove mine in the winter and with a good set of tires it goes fine as long as the snow is not too deep.

Most cars today can no longer use chains
Fiero_Fan_88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't exceed 30 mph and you'll be alright.
What chains are those?
I have a set of Thule CB12 that worked wonders for me. The nice thing about them is they are self tightening, so every time the tire roles they retention themselves taking the fear of them coming off away. You can get them from 9mm to 16mm links which is nice.
Zeak

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeakSend a Private Message to ZeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the 2.5 so I let it crawl. The chains are the basic ones from orileys. There very simple to put on and take off so I remove them as soon as I reach the pavement. Thanks for the heads up tho.

------------------

1988 Fiero 2.5

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont think they are legal to use around here, MN, maybe if you dont drive on any paved roads. But Chains do work well.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 02-06-2014).]

mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know chains ARE legal in Ohio, I just looked it up recently since my other car is terrible in the snow.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Winter tires - 4
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zeak:

I have the 2.5 so I let it crawl. The chains are the basic ones from orileys. There very simple to put on and take off so I remove them as soon as I reach the pavement. Thanks for the heads up tho.

Kind of a contrast to some cars now, with all wheel drive, stability control, traction control, anti-lock brakes, heated seats, heated mirrors, heated steering wheels etc., etc., etc.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock