Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Carlisle - 20 Years of Memories - Share Yours!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Carlisle - 20 Years of Memories - Share Yours! by Fierochic88
Started on: 02-05-2014 09:33 AM
Replies: 20 (870 views)
Last post by: Fierochic88 on 04-21-2014 06:54 PM
Fierochic88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In honor of MAFOA's 20th Anniversary Show at Carlisle, the March edition of FieroPride (joint publication with NEFA) will feature an article on memories from the past 20 years of Carlisle. We'd love to have input from both members and non-members, as well as any pictures you would like to share. Please feel free to post them here, send me a PM or an e-mail (jgoss@fieropride.com). If you can share them by February 20th, that will give us a bit of time to put the article together. When sharing, please include:

1. Year of the Memory (if it is specific)
2. Your Name
3. Your Hometown

If you are a past member and would like to rejoin, please go to www.mafoa.com or e-mail fierobruiser@gmail.com .

Thanks for helping us make it a great 20 years!

~ Jennifer
MAFOA Newsletter Editor
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Myself plus a few other G.T. Fieros members had a great time at Carlisle the three consecutive years (05-07) we made the trip down during May 24 weekend (Canadian holiday) Here's some shots from our trips to Carlisle, approximately 650km from Toronto.

Mister's Ride at the time 2005

My 87 GT 2005

Luke & Rick's loot that they bought at the 2007 Carlisle event.

Little fun packing Luke's car for him before the LONG drive back home to Toronto hung-over.

Newly weds: we got married the weekend before Carlisle (May 12 2007) and you could say the car show was our Honey Moon hahaha

Had some great parties with our hosts the three years we made it down. All anyone had to say is TWO MORE BEERS!
We haven't been down since the show has been moved to the GM Nationals weekend. We're hoping to make a return this year for some more great times and meet up with some great friends.

Who had more fun at their job?

------------------

G.T. Fieros

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2014 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://imageshack.com/a/img542/9229/7efo.jpg

I don't remember what year, but I used to go to the Kit Car Show at Carlisle for many years. Since the 88 had NY plates, It had to be before 2003. I did like the photo with the Ebay Motors sign in the background. This photo was Photo Shop adjusted. I'd have to dig through many CDs to locate the original.
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some Carlisle 2002 pics.

Skitime & Jelly2M8 all loaded up for the trip.

Skitimes old car.

Skitimes engine, at the show.

Archie doing a talk near the Stinger.

Is this one still around?

A bit over the top for me, but each to his own.

Now who is that girl

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

AusFiero

11513 posts
Member since Feb 2001
Some pics of the 2002 after party at the Gilberts.

grgoyl86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grgoyl86Send a Private Message to grgoyl86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a gallery of a few pictures from a few years ago
http://fieropride.com/photo...2-Fieros-at-Carlisle
grgoyl86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grgoyl86Send a Private Message to grgoyl86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

grgoyl86

791 posts
Member since Nov 2000
How about a little history?
MAFOA was just a baby, newly formed. I had heard that there would be several vendors at the Carlisle Import / Kit Car Nationals that sold kits and parts for Fieros. V8 Archie, PISA, I know I'm forgetting someone. So, I sent an email to the club email list ( there was no Facebook or forums, or any of that), and we went to Carlisle and spent the day just hanging out. It seems like about five or so other Fiero owners joined us throughout the day.
It was such fun that we started making plans to make it an official event the following year. We sent word out to everyone we could, and drew, it seems, about 35 cars. Next year it was over 50, and it continued to grow. We drew over 100 cars two years in a row!
We had a lot of fun, and met some great people. Ausfiero came from the other side of the planet! We had participants from many states, and Canada!
To all you people who attended all those years ago, thanks for the gun and the great memories.
grgoyl86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grgoyl86Send a Private Message to grgoyl86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

grgoyl86

791 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Oh yeah. My favorite:

Hmm, that didn't work.

[This message has been edited by grgoyl86 (edited 02-06-2014).]

Phil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember that 2002 Carlisle show. Lots of memories attending the Carlisle shows. Phil's Yellow Formula with its SC3800 really looks good in the pictures. Phil just recently sold that car. It was a sad day because we have so many memories traveling with that car.

Gwen (Phil's wife)
foxgapfiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for foxgapfieroSend a Private Message to foxgapfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember those after parties, whew..... The trophys that Karen and I won are still proudly sitting on a shelf here at the house. Saddly the 88 yellow T-top went to California, the Formula went to New York but we still have the 86 GT that Karen drives just about everyday in the summer. We haven't been to Carlisle for many years but I enjoy seeing the pics here.
I have an 84 SE convertible sitting here in the garage waiting for restoration (and cash). Hopefully you all will still be around when I get it done.

Mark

------------------
Mark Hoagland
86 1/2 GT 3.4 5-speed 355 nose and tailights REAL bright yellow

84 SE Convertible

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What great memories and pictures! Thanks everyone for sharing so far (and those who have e-mailed and PMed)! 2002 was a great year - I think we had over 100 cars that year and the following. Thera are so many good memories of all the people who came near and far and those who went to the dinners at Hoss' afterwards and came to the Post-Carlisle Picnics (and after parties!) at my parents. I think it was 2003 when the first Canada crew camped out at Mom & Dad's and then several years of Canadian campers in years after.

Keep 'em coming!

~Jen
PFF
System Bot
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This really does bring back some good memories.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This might be a bit redundant but I've just got to chime in. I have been at Carlisle every year except for one since 1996 . I well remember the late 90's and early 2000's at Carlisle. Those were absolutely great fun times for the hobby. Back then we would get 90-100 cars at the event. Many of us would arrive at the show Friday late afternoon and check in. About 5:30PM the MAFOA president at that time would say let all meet for dinner at Hoss Restaurant. We would fill the lot with Fieros and there would be 25-30 people all sitting at a huge made up series of tables in the side room all laughing sharing stories, Fiero chat, laughing and having fun. It was an energetic crowd and yes we were a bit younger then. While many of the original group have drifted off, gone on to other things, affected by the cost of travel or no longer attend for personal reasons, a new crowd has emerged. Today Carlisle is still alot of fun and I would not miss it .
It was be fantastic if we could get some of the people that recall those exciting times to attend again in 2014. The show is on June 21st, the first day of summer.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 02-07-2014).]

x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

This might be a bit redundant but I've just got to chime in. I have been at Carlisle every year except for one since 1996 . I well remember the late 90's and early 2000's at Carlisle. Those were absolutely great fun times for the hobby. Back then we would get 90-100 cars at the event. Many of us would arrive at the show Friday late afternoon and check in. About 5:30PM the MAFOA president at that time would say let all meet for dinner at Hoss Restaurant. We would fill the lot with Fieros and there would be 25-30 people all sitting at a huge made up series of tables in the side room all laughing sharing stories, Fiero chat, laughing and having fun. It was an energetic crowd and yes we were a bit younger then. While many of the original group have drifted off, gone on to other things, affected by the cost of travel or no longer attend for personal reasons, a new crowd has emerged. Today Carlisle is still alot of fun and I would not miss it .
It was be fantastic if we could get some of the people that recall those exciting times to attend again in 2014. The show is on June 21st, the first day of summer.

Are you guys still meeting up on the Friday before the show to register & go out for dinner afterwards?

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by x-thumpr-x:

Are you guys still meeting up on the Friday before the show to register & go out for dinner afterwards?

IIRC, the GM show officially starts on Friday but MAFOA has always held the Fiero show on Saturdays. No dinner plans that I am aware of yet but those that arrive on Friday have to eat somewhere. If enough people request it, I am certain that Pete, the activity coordinator will take notice. Still believe that its a nice thing to have. For us early MAFOA members, the entire event brings back some really great memories.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

L.I. Fieros

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2014 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L.I. FierosSend a Private Message to L.I. FierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First year for us was 1998 I believe (I only have a few pics of my car from that year). Here are some grandstand aerial pics from 1999. Look at all those Fieros!

Funniest memory could be from the year when a certain someone drove 5 hours (each way) out to Carlisle on the wrong weekend! Not me, but it was one of our crew.

Big Thanks to all those who were involved in keeping the energy going and putting on these great events. It takes a ton of work and 20 years is incredible! We always had a blast! THANK YOU!!!

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started going when it was the European/ Kitcar Show with my Mercedes SLs and my sports car club. I bought my Ferrari body kit and turbo kit there. Then I started bringing it every year. Then every year it was either 40* or pouring rain every time. I got tired of driving 350 miles each way in downpours and fog, lol. I didnt go to any of the Fiero shows after it moved to the all GM show. Not many GM cars Im that fond of and wanting to spend the day looking at.
Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wow nice pics of a fiero packed field!! Those were the days! Been there and lived it!!

Had some good times there. Looking at those older pics from the '98 era makes me miss it a lot.
Things were good back then for the fiero.. sad that most people have dropped off and the general population thinks they are totally worthless.. I guess I'll always love these silly cars.
And I can second what Roger is saying... EVERY TIME I came down to PA from Maine,it was Pouring sideways rain.. or 40*.. and the field was like a muddy sponge... Frustrating!!

The other thing that was kind of a bummer was in the mid-'00's they lumped us into the "Import/Kit car" crowd. Not so bad on paper,but the "Imports" were mostly awkward teens and 20 somethings(and Oy even 30'and 40 somethings) with Fart-Can exhaust and rediculous stupid audio set-ups.... They even had a decibel meter there at the show field.. that sucked...

And the one time I decided to bring my Indy down,it nearly burned to the ground..
Did I say good times?!?

I hope the Fiero makes a comeback. Strong like they were from the 90's til the early '00's

Thanks for sharing,guys and gals!

Mark
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Indyellowgt:

Wow nice pics of a fiero packed field!! Those were the days! Been there and lived it!!

Had some good times there. Looking at those older pics from the '98 era makes me miss it a lot.
Things were good back then for the fiero.. sad that most people have dropped off and the general population thinks they are totally worthless.. I guess I'll always love these silly cars.
And I can second what Roger is saying... EVERY TIME I came down to PA from Maine,it was Pouring sideways rain.. or 40*.. and the field was like a muddy sponge... Frustrating!!

The other thing that was kind of a bummer was in the mid-'00's they lumped us into the "Import/Kit car" crowd. Not so bad on paper,but the "Imports" were mostly awkward teens and 20 somethings(and Oy even 30'and 40 somethings) with Fart-Can exhaust and ridiculous stupid audio set-ups.... They even had a decibel meter there at the show field.. that sucked...

And the one time I decided to bring my Indy down,it nearly burned to the ground..
Did I say good times?!?

I hope the Fiero makes a comeback. Strong like they were from the 90's til the early '00's

Thanks for sharing,guys and gals!

Mark

While the Euro import/Kit Car show was far less crowded and had more a of low key atmosphere than the present location; I must agree that the May weather was sometimes uncooperative. This is why the MAFOA Fiero car show was moved to the GM Nationals about 5 years ago. The MAFOA Fiero show is now in late June and the total GM show is far larger with every brand displayed. The weather has been warm and sunny and don't forget the sunscreen. There are perhaps more Fiero owners today than there were in the late 1990's/early 2000's when 100 Fieros would convene for the show. Some of these hobbyists, got married, raised a family, moved West, were deterred by the rising cots of gasoline, found other interests or fell into the low energy, "arm chair" collector' category. Regardless, Carlisle is still a super event and the largest Fiero show in the Mid-Atlantic region. A new wave of owners have joined the show, everyone is still invited to attend as they wish and I intend to return for the 2014 show.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the latest shares! It is so great to walk down memory lane and to even see what things were like before we got involved in 2000. Always a great time with great people - for 20 years ;-)

~ Jen
Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bumping this back up as this year's Fieros at Carlisle is exactly 2 months away and we're writing the latest installment for the May newsletter! Anyone have any memories they'd like to share (particularly from the past 6 years?)

~ Jen
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock