Started on: 02-01-2014 07:00 PM
Replies: 18 (915 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 09-30-2014 10:58 AM
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone tried these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131...id=p3984.m1423.l2649

I thought about getting some to do away with the sail panel frames, like the description says on the ebay ad. I am not sure double sided 3M tape would be sufficient to hold these on.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The windows on Lildevil's car:

Every time this style of window gets mentioned, the forum becomes a ***** session about covering the vents on the pillars. Some say it doesn't matter while others say you need the vents.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 02-02-2014).]

craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Adam! I did some searching on the forum and found that the seller "gtfiero" is Chris Cook. Alot of people on here have good things to say about his Fastback Panels. I like the look though. What do the vents go to? Are they those vents designed to funnel some outside noise into the cab?
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
why would it matter fastbacks have that entire area covered.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

Thanks Adam! I did some searching on the forum and found that the seller "gtfiero" is Chris Cook. Alot of people on here have good things to say about his Fastback Panels. I like the look though. What do the vents go to? Are they those vents designed to funnel some outside noise into the cab?

Why would you want outside noise in the cab?

The vents allow the airflow to move through the car, whether the air is coming from the HVAC system or relieving pressure from closing doors.
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

Why would you want outside noise in the cab?

The vents allow the airflow to move through the car, whether the air is coming from the HVAC system or relieving pressure from closing doors.

Yeah, I have read that it relieves cabin pressure and filters in some outside noise, like horns and emergency sirens, not specific to Fieros though. Auto Manufacturers can't make cabins completely quiet from the outside noises.

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 02-01-2014).]

Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero space frame itself has large vertical rectangular vents behind both the notchback sail panels and fastback quarter windows - essentially they're there on every model Fiero created. If you switch to these solid style windows for your notchback you're not going to impede their operation. Otherwise if you did fastback GT owners would be having serious issues...
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
Every time this style of window gets mentioned, the forum becomes a ***** session about covering the vents on the pillars. Some say it doesn't matter while others say you need the vents.

That's what I was going to bring up. not so much ***** about it, but make sure you were aware of it. For the argument about GT panels...if you look closely at the design, I think you will find that the GTs are vented to the inside of the sail (into the decklid vent area). Regardless...I do agree that a Fiero is not sealed well enough to make this an issue.

Personally, I like the look, and would definitely consider a set for my car when I get to that point in the project.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The vents aren't to let noise IN. They are to let air OUT. GM cars use a flow thru ventilation system that allows fresh outside air to pass through the cabin even when windows are closed, except when the MAX function is used .
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run the Kahines Notchie Panels.

As for the airflow concern, when you install these panels, they are not sealed on the bottom edge, because there is no lip to attach them. So air can still escape along that edge. Also, if you look closely at the bottom rear corners, there is also an open cavity that will allow air to pass through as well. I have had mine on for about 7-8 months and have never had any issues shutting the door or air flowing through the vents on Vent, Heat or AC, or the defrost clearing the windows.

I think most of the people who say these restrict cabin airflow have never or installed a set to see how they still can vent the small volume of air that they need to vent.

craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fieroguru- Have you had any issues with them staying on using just the tape? I am thinking about just getting these when I take off factory sails, I already broke one little clip(the clip toward the lower rear of the panel) trying to get them off to paint them.
PFF
System Bot
lildevil

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Umm... those are not Ken Hines on my car. I was the creator of this design. I made mine and was then copied. Mine use the factory panel and then uses sheet metal folded over. No double sided tape just the factory mounting

[This message has been edited by lildevil (edited 02-02-2014).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lildevil:

Umm... those are not Ken Hines on my car. I was the creator of this design. I made mine and was then copied. Mine use the factory panel and then uses sheet metal folded over. No double sided tape just the factory mounting

Is that right? I edited my original post. You can tell that I favor the look of your car because I steal a pic anytime one of these threads come up

So your panels are sheet metal that are painted black mounted on top of the factory frames?

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 02-02-2014).]

lildevil

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lildevilClick Here to visit lildevil's HomePageSend a Private Message to lildevilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yea...stolen idea with no credit LOL. I think Fierostore sells a version now too
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:

fieroguru- Have you had any issues with them staying on using just the tape? I am thinking about just getting these when I take off factory sails, I already broke one little clip(the clip toward the lower rear of the panel) trying to get them off to paint them.

A month or two ago when I wasn't even driving the car, I lost the passenger side one. We were seeing some very high winds with a couple of storm fronts. When I get another set, I am going to bend up some 1" steel to follow the contour so I can put about 1" of double sized tape on all 3 edges to help keep them in place.

Prior to the storms, they didn't come off with multiple runs up to 115-120 mph.
Cokeologist

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just refreshing this one to see if anyone has pics of these installed

Notchie Sail Panels on eBay
hetterbr

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2014 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hetterbrSend a Private Message to hetterbrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the Kahines panels on mine as well. they are put on with 2 sided tape. Have had no issues on the highway. They came blank and then i got some GT stickers and put that on them. I have always had trouble with the PIP on this site, so can't post a picture. I quite like the looks of them.
Cokeologist

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cokeologist:

Just refreshing this one to see if anyone has pics of these installed

Notchie Sail Panels on eBay

I believe these are the Chris Cook sail panels. Are the Kahines sail panels the same thing?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2014 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are some threads about Kahines, with pics. I have them on my car too.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/126273.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/132980.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock