Love/Hate relationship with the Fiero by boysatt
Started on: 01-29-2014 12:36 PM
Replies: 17 (509 views)
Last post by: jsmorter on 02-01-2014 04:34 PM
boysatt

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to say I have been hooked on the Fiero ever since I purchased my first on 15 years ago. But its been a love hate relationship with these little cars ever since. I have owned so many of them that I lost count. As the years have passed I have had time where my Fiero was my life and obsession and then there have been years where I haven't even looked at or drove them. Lately I have been looking at parts again and making plans for my car, even though I haven't looked at it since June of 2012 when it spun a rod bearing right after the dells show. I was so upset that I put it in storage and haven't looked at it since. I also have 9 more fiero projects that have been tarped for years, most 5+ years. I told myself last fall that I was done and they would all go, but now I find myself looking at engine swaps and body mods again. I think this is the only car that has made me crazy, and I have owned a lot of nice cars. Who else has this problem/disease?

------------------

Blue 1987 GT, Yellow T-top 1986 GT, 2000 Corvette Coupe Z06 conversion
projects and parts for sale.[/COLOR][/b]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not as obssessed as you are (I only have the one), but have been assembling parts and some tools in anticipation of spring sometime getting here so can commence doing some work.
on tap planned and still being planned - sway bars, upgraded alternator, upgraded oil pressure, truelo intake and truelo exhaust and a improved 4T60. one car at a time. right now I love the car......give me about 6-8 weeks and I might need meds.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT Fastback 3.4Lpr with 4T60
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "big boy" 5.9 motor
1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by boysatt:
I also have 9 more fiero projects that have been tarped for years, most 5+ years.

Thin down the heard and focus the energy. It helps.
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Thin down the heard and focus the energy. It helps.

Wow, I agree with this. 9+ projects? Way too many! That would burn me out too! Do one project and do it well! Then enjoy. If the itch for another starts.,.. then dig into it!
boysatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fformula88:

Wow, I agree with this. 9+ projects? Way too many! That would burn me out too! Do one project and do it well! Then enjoy. If the itch for another starts.,.. then dig into it!

Actually I have many more projects than that. I own a auto shop and do mild restos, custom stuff, and rebuild salvage cars so I have more than enough projects, at least 70 vehicles in or around my shop usually.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
9 and I thought I was bad at 4 projects...WOW!
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
39 and counting...go ahead and get down with the sickness!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Actually I have many more projects than that. I own a auto shop and do mild restos, custom stuff, and rebuild salvage cars so I have more than enough projects, at least 70 vehicles in or around my shop usually.

I can see that taking a toll on the hobby as well. Doing similar things for employment. I've often thought I would nto want to be paid to work on other peoples cars, it might ruin the hobby for me. But more power to you! It also means you have more cool tools and workspaces!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007
In a situation like yours I'd constantly be looking at stuff in my yard thinking, "I bet that engine would be great in a Fiero." or "that scoop would look great grafted to a Fiero"
One guys conundrum is another guys dream I suppose.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Prior to my relocation to KY, I had way too many Fiero projects. The move forced me to thin the herd and allowed me to stay more focused on fewer projects.

There have been time frames (sometimes measured in years) where I didn't have running/driving Fiero. Those were rougher than most, so I try to keep at least 1 Fiero in running/driving mode while I work on the other one. Right now I am living the high life with two running Fieros!
boysatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

In a situation like yours I'd constantly be looking at stuff in my yard thinking, "I bet that engine would be great in a Fiero." or "that scoop would look great grafted to a Fiero"
One guys conundrum is another guys dream I suppose.

Ya I have more than enough ideas for engine swaps. I come across so many engine/trans combos that I keep trying to figure out how to fit in a fiero. I actually have 3 complete dropout LS4/Auto drive-trains sitting in the shop that I removed from wrecked Monte SS's. But you guys have no idea how many parts I have around here, including lots of nice used and NOS fiero parts.

At one point a few years back I was going to get into the market of building engine swap parts but got too busy to make it happen. I built prototype mounts and adapter parts for multiple motor combos that just sit collecting dust.
PFF
System Bot
Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had a similar love/hate experience myself. I got out of Fieros completely for a couple of years while I was more into bikes and Subarus. Then in 2011, while speaking with a long time Fiero friend (Kev on here) he mentioned he had found a Fiero for sale for $100 locally. I ended up buying the car and put another couple hundred into it to get it roadworthy. It was an '87 5 speed base coupe. I fell in love all over again. I couldn't believe how much fun I was having driving the slowest car that I'd ever driven (it was a very tired Duke). After driving it all summer I sold it in the fall in hopes to pick up a nicer one in the spring. One month passed and I stumbled across an '86 2M4 with a 3.4 DOHC on craigslist. I've always wanted a 3.4 DOHC Fiero and it was the deal of the century at the listed price so I bought it. Since then I've rebuilt almost the entire car except the drivetrain. So much for that deal of the century.

They're fun to drive, even if they aren't the fastest thing around.
They're easy/cheap/fun to tinker with.
They have the best car community that I've ever been a part of.

Those are enough reasons for me to keep one in the garage.

[This message has been edited by Silicoan86 (edited 01-29-2014).]

boysatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Silicoan86:

I've had a similar love/hate experience myself. I got out of Fieros completely for a couple of years while I was more into bikes and Subarus. Then in 2011, while speaking with a long time Fiero friend (Kev on here) he mentioned he had found a Fiero for sale for $100 locally. I ended up buying the car and put another couple hundred into it to get it roadworthy. It was an '87 5 speed base coupe. I fell in love all over again. I couldn't believe how much fun I was having driving the slowest car that I'd ever driven (it was a very tired Duke). After driving it all summer I sold it in the fall in hopes to pick up a nicer one in the spring. One month passed and I stumbled across an '86 2M4 with a 3.4 DOHC on craigslist. I've always wanted a 3.4 DOHC Fiero and it was the deal of the century at the listed price so I bought it. Since then I've rebuilt almost the entire car except the drivetrain. So much for that deal of the century.

They're fun to drive, even if they aren't the fastest thing around.
They're easy/cheap/fun to tinker with.
They have the best car community that I've ever been a part of.

Those are enough reasons for me to keep one in the garage.

Since your in MN, did you buy the one Stewart Rustad had? He had called me last fall saying he was selling his wife's black 86 fiero with a DOHC 3.4 in it.
Silicoan86

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Silicoan86Send a Private Message to Silicoan86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Since your in MN, did you buy the one Stewart Rustad had? He had called me last fall saying he was selling his wife's black 86 fiero with a DOHC 3.4 in it.

Nope, mine is silver. It was once owned by PFF member flames4me, who I have been unable to reach since I bought it.
V8 Vega

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-31-2014 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wrecked and sold my 87 GT about a half a year ago. Yesterday I saw a 87 GT going down the freeway, it was all original cherry, garage kept. low miles looking one. It sure looked good.
Josh52894

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Josh52894Send a Private Message to Josh52894Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ive owned two, first and second cars both were in horrible condition loved the cars only hated them when they left me stranded walking to the nearest parts store and trust me that has happened more times than i can remember. im currently saving up to buy a more reliable 3800sc swap. im so close to done with school i can taste a garage full of fiero parts.
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sounds like a normal and healthy fiero relationship.
jsmorter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2014 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsmorterSend a Private Message to jsmorterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I only have 2 projects going and they are both drivers. I own 3 88s and one is a t top parts car. I agree they are a car you love or hate and I do find them very easy to work on unless you need to pull the engine. I will be converting one of mine to t tops this summer and am looking forward to it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock