Started on: 01-25-2014 10:32 AM
Replies: 9 (331 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 01-25-2014 07:24 PM
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A tree limb cracked up my windshield, no other damage. With the deductibles, the insurance wasn't worth messing with. I only carry liability currently, and my Progressive home owners is a coverage joke anyway. My charitable wife decided to conspire with one of my sons, so for my birthday my Fiero came up missing and now sits in the driveway with brand new glass. I don't know who Pioneer Glass gets them from, but it is distortion free and wiper perfect. Total cost, with tax, $288. The old one had a few scratches I wasn't having any luck with, so I be sooooo happy!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could you ask Pioneer Glass ( http://www.pioneerglassandmirror.com/auto-glass/ ) where they got the OEM windshield from?

One of our guys needs his replaced and his shop is having a heck of a time locating OEM glass.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 01-25-2014).]

Marko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkoSend a Private Message to MarkoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What qualifies as OEM glass ?

I had a new PPG unit installed in July for $275.00

Friend of mine owns a glass shop,
he got it from a vendor in Edmonton.

New one looks original.

------------------
Marko.

'85 SE 2M6 Muncie 4 speed.
a.k.a "The Rumble Seat"

BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We had a really good coupon through a thing called Deal Chicken and my new one cost me a whopping $180 installed, awesome!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$150-$175 is about the average for one here. Thats even the price I paid for a new one in my Mercedes SL.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marko:

What qualifies as OEM glass ?

I had a new PPG unit installed in July for $275.00

That's probably as close to OEM as possible. I don't remember whose name was on my old windshield but I'd bet money it was PPG.

Aftermarket windshields are readily available and not expensive. The paint shop installed one in my car when they had it apart for painting; I think the cost was only like $120. Obviously since they had it apart for painting there was no additional labor charges. However, it comes with a logo on it I do not recognize. I suspect its Chinese.

I'd rather have had a brand-new PPG.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Aftermarket windshields are readily available and not expensive.
... I suspect its Chinese.

I've had "cheap" replacements too. After a year, they look as bad as the 10-year-old factory glass I replaced.

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I've had "cheap" replacements too. After a year, they look as bad as the 10-year-old factory glass I replaced.

Yeah that's what I worry about.

I would have spent extra for PPG, had I known there were options.

weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm told I have a PPG glass.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it is it will say PPG in the corner. A lot of auto glass is also Libby-Owens. China just bought a GM plant in Dayton to manufacture glass for all the US makes during the last month.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock