Another PlastiDip Fiero by GraterFang
Started on: 01-20-2014 08:15 PM
Replies: 11 (675 views)
Last post by: Tom Slick on 01-21-2014 09:28 AM
GraterFang

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had been searching a while back for temporary paint solutions to avoid having multi-colored panels until I could paint the car properly. I eventually settled on trying PlastiDip since it was both inexpensive and easily reversible if I didn't like the results. Considering the low cost of the supplies, how easily the PlastiDip can be removed, and how little work it required (I "prepped" and painted in a day), I think it turned out quite well. It's been about five months since I've painted it using the PlastiDip and I have to say that it seems quite durable as well. The only downsides are that it feels like rubber and picks up dirt pretty easily, but as a temporary option I think it's great and would definitely recommend it to anybody else that wants a solid color on their car. Here's a before and 1-month-after:

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I can see (I can only see 1/4 of your pictures, so you must be using PIP), it looks pretty good. How much did it cost you? I have been considering it.

[This message has been edited by craigsfiero2007 (edited 01-20-2014).]

Luke

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LukeClick Here to visit Luke's HomePageSend a Private Message to LukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ditto... curious to sell full pics once PIP works. Gave me some ideas.
GraterFang

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How long has PIP been having trouble for? I can try using a different image host

[This message has been edited by GraterFang (edited 01-20-2014).]

craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GraterFang:

How long has PIP been having trouble for? I can try using another image host in the meantime

It recently started acting up. Maybe the past week. I use Photobucket
GraterFang

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the same pictures using a different image host for now:

Luke

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LukeClick Here to visit Luke's HomePageSend a Private Message to LukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely better than multicolor

How did you apply? Rattle can or? The stuff is relatively new to me
GraterFang

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the standard black PlastiDip that comes in spray cans, but it does come in other forms/colors if you like. It took about 10 cans to do the whole car, and about six to seven bucks per can, it cost well under a hundred dollars to do the whole job! The best part, of course, is that when you want to remove it you can just peel it all off with your hands. As long as it's not a super thin coat, it peels off in once nice big easy-to-remove piece so there's no sanding required (like a Duplicolor roll-on paint job would need)! I could easily strip the whole car back to how it was before in under an hour if I wanted to.

jaybug56

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never heard of Plastidip. Is it just a brand name like Duplicolor
GraterFang

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraterFangSend a Private Message to GraterFangEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaybug56:

Never heard of Plastidip. Is it just a brand name like Duplicolor

No, it's quite a bit different. It's sort of like a spray on rubber coating that is not only very easy to remove (it literally peels off in one big piece once you get it started), but also quite durable and even protective of what's underneath. Essentially, it won't ruin any paint you have underneath (we had at least one forum member that used it on a car he owns that has very nice paint), and it also won't add much prep time to a proper paint job in the future.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PlastiDip is a rubber paint, as was said before. It is semi-permanent, meaning it will stay on as long as you leave it on, but you can also leave it on as long as you want without any ill-effects.

Plasti-dip can be found here, as well as applicators and what-not, as well as at home depot and Pep Boys.
IF you are going to be doing a lot of plasti-dipping, I would strongly recommend getting a plasti-dip sprayer, about $200 for the base model, but well worth it.

I plasti-dipped the rims and bowties on my Chevy, and they are holding up great, 2 years so far.

I plasti-dipped my friends Charger, as you can see here - DKcustoms
Go ahead and like my page, I will be updating the Fiero album once I get it running.

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 01-20-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock