Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Fiero Store or Automotive Interiors carpet?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Fiero Store or Automotive Interiors carpet? by JCircs
Started on: 01-20-2014 10:36 AM
Replies: 12 (431 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 01-21-2014 04:58 PM
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mr Mike recommends Automotive interior carpet http://www.automotiveinteri...cc/84_88fieroacc.htm on his website but the Fiero store also sells it, Does anyone have experience with either one? I'm looking at switching to black, thanks for your input.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post01-20-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought new carpet from http://www.stockinteriors.com for my del Sol. I haven't installed it yet, but it looks quite good as far as quality goes. When looking for new carpet, I found many threads on Honda forums that recommended them, and the finished install pics I've seen from people that used the carpet, all looked quite good.

Don't know about Fiero Store or Automotive Interiors carpet. They might all be the same.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering if one was a better quality or easier to install. They are both about the same price not sure of fit and finish tho.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-20-2014 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. I'm not sure either. The Stock Interiors carpets come with extra material on the edges, so they are trim-to-fit, but they are molded for the car as well. I don't have my del Sol carpet installed yet, but I do have it unrolled and sitting in the floor in my house, and it looks like it will fit pretty good when I get to the point of installing it (have to fix a couple leaks, get rid of the rubber on the floor pans and install sound deadener first).
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Don't know about Fiero Store or Automotive Interiors carpet. They might all be the same.

Yes, same thing. When I ordered mine, it shipped directly from Automotive Interiors instead of Fiero Store in CT.

JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

Yes, same thing. When I ordered mine, it shipped directly from Automotive Interiors instead of Fiero Store in CT.

That's the answer I was looking for. Ty
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Either way don't expect 100% stock fit and finish. The carpet is thinner has less padding and doesn't fit as snugly in the corners as you would expect. But it's good enough for all but the pickiest people.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I happen to be a very picky person, do you know of a better option?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-20-2014 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you picky about the padding, or about how it fits in the corners?

The Stock Interiors site has an option to add extra padding, and as I said they are trim-to-fit molded carpets, so they should fit pretty good, though I haven't used any of their Fiero carpets (the original carpet in my 87 GT still looks almost new).

I've not really seen anything bad about them, though. You could do some searching to see if anyone on other forums has complained about fitment issues.
JCircs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My original carpet still looks new, I was told its a good idea to leave it under the new carpet it makes for excellent padding.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I would highly suggest to leave the original carpet in place, although that will make installing the seats an interesting and challenging experience.

If you switch to black (as I did) the carpet will be pure black and not the salt and pepper look of the original. That may be okay or it may not since you are picky. Also I don't know the correct carpet terminology but the fibers are not looped they are straight. That is going to make the texture different. Again, it doesn't bother me, but a picky person might not find it appealing.

Don't know of any alternatives other than to start with your own flat sheets and cut them to fit. But it's not easy to get flat carpet to fit a 3D surface. The molded aftermarket carpet does a pretty good job, but it's not a 100% OEM fit in my opinion.
PFF
System Bot
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2014 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I gate the FS carpets and am very pleased with them. The first gray they sent was a little too light colored for me. They were very good about exchanging them for a darker gray sent from LLoyds. Really nice and thick and fit very well.

Woody

------------------
woodys 427

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2014 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You usually cant beat a custom upholstery shop installing carpet. They cut and sew it individually to fit. Thats a lot more expensive than buying a premolded one for the average person. When you get them, you usually have to do some trimming under the dash, kickpanels and door sills and to me its the best bang for the buck. Use LOTS of fresh razor blades and try to cut on the backside of the carpet if possible. I do all my own and customers, from cars and vans to motorhomes. Ill use at least a dozen blades on an average car job with a molded carpet. The toughest Ive had to cover is front floors of full size vans. You have to make a million little cuts and slices to get it to set down everywhere.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock