Autobody Repairs by markkrug
Started on: 01-17-2014 09:27 PM
Replies: 15 (605 views)
Last post by: Oregon88 on 02-02-2021 06:26 PM
markkrug

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. After much milling about and all sorts of compunctions, I FINALLY bought my 1988 Fiero GT. It was perfect in every way. I brought it home, gave it a spot in my garage, covered it when not in use. I had a wonderful day with some errands to run. Took it out with my oldest. Driving across the parking lot of the local grocery store to pick an items up for my wife and WHAM! I got hit by an elderly female who "didn't see the car because it's so low to the ground". Not more than 30 days in my ownership!

Long story longer, the car has been in the repair shop now since December 21, 2013. They are still trying to get part to properly fix it. Each time they tell me they are close to being done, something new comes up. My youngest swears this is like the scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off where they are driving the car around each day. Does anyone know if I can demand payment for loss of use? It is getting ridiculous. I do have to say the repair shop is trying. They cleaned out an old back garage so the car is not in the weather. They are extremely apologetic. I do not think they are intentionally having issues finding parts.

Anyway, sorry for my rant and thanks for listening (reading).
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If they are having trouble getting a part, find out what it is, and post it here. Let them know you can get the part for them. There are far more resources for finding Fiero parts here on the forum, than what they have at their disposal, no disrespect intended.
markkrug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since the other person insurance is paying, they had to go through regular sources first. When they did tell me about a part, I would refer them to the right spot. This morning I learned the hold up was the dew strip moulding. A quick moment on the smartphone and I turned them onto the Fiero Store.

Now next Tuesday or Wednesday, the new part should be in. Hopefully. Only time will tell.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make her insurance pay for your rental car. That usually speeds things up quite a bit. Insurance companies dont like paying $25 a day out of their pocket while your cars setting. Any accident claims usually dont pay for the loss of use unless its a business vehicle.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-18-2014).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Body shops only know one way to get parts.....and it's the 'easy' lazy way. I had the same kind of accident and got the shop to use me as a parts source. I went out and found the parts, looked at the parts to approve them, and delivered the parts to the body shop. They asked me for mileage and my time (which they added to the bill at a low rate) and sent it all to the insurance company, which was more than happy to pay it.
markkrug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for markkrugSend a Private Message to markkrugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did they reimburse you for the time your car was undrivable (either from the damage or the time the car was in the shop)? I have gotten mixed information. Some people say that the insurance company will pay $25.00 a day each day you did not have your car. This would be whether or not you have a rental car. Others have said not. My research is also lacking.

Also, I read that there can be reimbursement for loss of value, especially with older cars. Obviously, a car that had never been wrecked is worth more than a car that has been in an accident. But how much is debatable. I am not looking to get rich but I feel cheated as I have lost many days of use with my car.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
** From my experience in Ohio in the 90's ** if you only have liability insurance, you have to retro sue for your payment of a rental car. Either yourself personally or through your insurance company. If you have full coverage, (including rental), your insurance company will float the bill for the rental & they will sue the insurance company of the person at fault.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by markkrug:

Did they reimburse you for the time your car was undrivable (either from the damage or the time the car was in the shop)? I have gotten mixed information. Some people say that the insurance company will pay $25.00 a day each day you did not have your car. This would be whether or not you have a rental car. Others have said not. My research is also lacking.

Also, I read that there can be reimbursement for loss of value, especially with older cars. Obviously, a car that had never been wrecked is worth more than a car that has been in an accident. But how much is debatable. I am not looking to get rich but I feel cheated as I have lost many days of use with my car.

Insurance laws are regulated by states, not the Feds, so in your case....(Illinois, land of State Farm),, you would have to get advice from somebody who knows Illinois rules.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Living in Ohio now and most of my life, and working with insurance companies every week, if the other persons insurance is paying for the damage, they also pay for your rental car for the time to fix your car. Ive never heard of anyone here getting any money for loss of use. If you for some reason, dont get car rental, you can always sue in small claims court for it. In some cases...IF you have full coverage yourself, and have rental coverage...YOUR insurance will pay for the rental, then in turn go to the other insurance company to recoup that amount for themselves. Like already said above, you MUST check with your insurance company in your state for the facts pertinent to you.
JohnyWalter

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-22-2021 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnyWalterSend a Private Message to JohnyWalterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should know that collision-related repair works often demand experts look. Repair centres easily resolve repairable issues that are of a more general nature. So, you must get your vehicle repair shop to get damages analyzed and obtain an estimation for them. I suggest https://xpresscentres.co.uk/ I was very pleased and so far had only the best experience, so defo get in touch with them.

[This message has been edited by JohnyWalter (edited 01-22-2021).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2021 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully after seven years, his car has been repaired to his satisfaction!
PFF
System Bot
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2021 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They're probably still waiting on those dew-strips.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2021 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What parts are they waiting on? If i have them ill get them to you so we can get your car out of hock!!!!
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2021 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder how much it will cost him to ship his car to the U.K to visit those mechanics?
Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2021 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a spambot most likely.

Oregon88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2021 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by no2pencil:

They're probably still waiting on those dew-strips.

LOL i wish this site had like buttons or the things that reddit has.

I genuinely laughed out loud

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock