Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Anyone here in Tx still do (3.8sc) swaps for money? Or know a place that will?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone here in Tx still do (3.8sc) swaps for money? Or know a place that will? by chriswf
Started on: 01-12-2014 09:23 PM
Replies: 27 (650 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 01-18-2014 09:05 PM
chriswf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chriswfSend a Private Message to chriswfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for someone to swap the 3800sc into a Fiero. My friend told me the guy who did his swap isn't doing them anymore.

I'm yet to buy the car. I'm sitting on the money to get the car now... It's that or I was going to pay off and 'bag my Yaris and vinyl/paint it. Then get started on building a 4ag and pay someone to drop it in for me.

But you know... Fiero is my dream car. And I'm already ahead on payments with my work car.
And it'd be cheaper to get speed out of it... I just don't have anywhere to do a swap at.
I've got away with doing bodywork here, just can't put it on block/jacks because of the slope.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is this one guy that does 3800 swaps in the area. He is slow as hell and is already booked for a few swaps but his end work is well worth the wait. If u search MstangsBware u can see his work....He is pretty fair prices also..

chriswf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chriswfSend a Private Message to chriswfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

There is this one guy that does 3800 swaps in the area. He is slow as hell and is already booked for a few swaps but his end work is well worth the wait. If u search MstangsBware u can see his work....He is pretty fair prices also..

Yeah he's the one I heard shut down because of personal reasons. He'd be my first choice otherwise. He was very informative when I spoke with him a year or so ago.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by chriswf:

Yeah he's the one I heard shut down because of personal reasons. He'd be my first choice otherwise. He was very informative when I spoke with him a year or so ago.

You do realize that MstangsBware was talking about himself in the third person, right??

chriswf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chriswfSend a Private Message to chriswfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

You do realize that MstangsBware was talking about himself in the third person, right??

BAAAHAHAH!!! No I didn't! At least I didn't say anything bad about him LOL
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BAAAHAHAH!!! No I didn't! At least I didn't say anything bad about him LOL

Yeah Stephen is a great guy. Don't let his badass internet persona scare you. He's a teddy bear. I'd have him swap my GT if he wasn't slow as hell and booked solid already.

chriswf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2014 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chriswfSend a Private Message to chriswfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Yeah Stephen is a great guy. Don't let his badass internet persona scare you. He's a teddy bear. I'd have him swap my GT if he wasn't slow as hell and booked solid already.

Well there's a reason he's booked then. I may wait on the Fiero then... its a nice silver FB though... real nice.

[This message has been edited by chriswf (edited 01-12-2014).]

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well there's a reason he's booked then. I may wait on the Fiero then... its a nice silver FB though... real nice.

I only do swaps in my spare time and told myself 4 swaps ago it would be the last one. But when locals pop up wanting a swap done and they don't mind waiting then I usually take them on. The wait is worth the swap you get and the continued support that goes along with it.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me save you some headaches.....WAIT for Stephen!

He is worth the wait and the only one I allow to work on my Fieros at this point!

Including a 3800SC in the mix.

[This message has been edited by TXOPIE (edited 01-13-2014).]

weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just avoid the name Lloyd. Seriously.
chriswf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chriswfSend a Private Message to chriswfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

Lol hmmm okay.
PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He is slow as hell and is already booked for a few swaps but his end work is well worth the wait.
.....He is pretty fair prices also..

TRUE...TRUE
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are turn-key swaps going for? I know Loyde was in the $6500 range back around 2008.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocarparts:

What are turn-key swaps going for? I know Loyde was in the $6500 range back around 2008.

I dont think he ever did a turn key swap for that cheap....I think most of his swaps started out at around 9K or so...But I could be wrong.
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

Or Dean Cain... seriously.
fierogt27

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt27Send a Private Message to fierogt27Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can vouch on a particular car I know of that took a decent amount of time to complete. Not Stephens fault at all though. But Stephen is great, me and him worked on my swap about three years ago now, even though he did most of the work. His prices are great and he is really helpful. I have continued to mod my car after the swap and Stephen has been there to answer any questions I've ever had
Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2014 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a lot of factors that can come into play in a turn key swap, but the realistic starting point is $8.5k-10k. If you are going to go that route, you'll want to get on somebody's list now as most people run several months out.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'03 Sentra SE-R Spec V (Prepping to sell)
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'13 G37xS Sedan (new daily driver)

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris_narf:

There's a lot of factors that can come into play in a turn key swap, but the realistic starting point is $8.5k-10k. If you are going to go that route, you'll want to get on somebody's list now as most people run several months out.

its less than $1000 in parts, so i find that to be a bit high on labor.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

$1000 in parts including the motor and transmission?
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

this really depends on location, back when I lived in pensacola, I kept reading about picking up LSx truck motors in the junkyard for pocket change, and never saw any, now here in SC, I see them all the time.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thats if u want the swap to look like it was done by a first time swapper with no extra money to spend. If u want a good lookin swap u can trust to drive anywhere then u will spend more then a $1000 in parts. Plain and simple....
PFF
System Bot
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am curious how long these swaps take if they run $6k-$10 in labor only?

if all the parts are there and ready to go i think a 40 hour build (1 full work week) is reasonable or am I way off? I realize if this is done on a weekend time the swap would be a month of using weekends. At least in my opinion. But I am not sure since I haven't started mine yet.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty sure on price, but that has been a couple of days ago, plus you know what $13K got you for a swap.
$1000 on parts? Sounds low to me, even for a throw-in. Swapping in a 3900 with no bolt on parts and just a handful of similar swaps, wasn't bad and you can't just order those parts. Buyer could round-up what he wants and send out the rest. Finding out the hard way that doing the harness work isn't that bad.
So doing a swap that pretty much has off the shelf parts and been done numerous times probably wouldn't be that bad.
I'm sure someone has done a break-down of cost, but it would only apply to that swap. But now, you can buy swapped/running 3800SCs for less than install and swap it into your car.
I've seen Stephen's installs and they are nice and clean.
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wcf charges $3000 for labor and $13k with parts. $3000 for 40 hours is $75/hr probably fairly standard shop rate for California with the overhead cost.

I think shop rates here are 60 to 65 depending on the location. So that is $2400-2600 for 40 hours of labor with shop overhead.

I would think $40/hr X40 hours @ $1600 is prob reasonable. 52 week salary is $83k if there was the work to support it.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KOS:

Wcf charges $3000 for labor and $13k with parts. $3000 for 40 hours is $75/hr probably fairly standard shop rate for California with the overhead cost.

I think shop rates here are 60 to 65 depending on the location. So that is $2400-2600 for 40 hours of labor with shop overhead.

I would think $40/hr X40 hours @ $1600 is prob reasonable. 52 week salary is $83k if there was the work to support it.

Never gonna complete a nice clean reliable 3800 swap into a Fiero in 40 hours. It sounds good and looks good on paper but is not gonna happen. Labor at $3000 for a nice swap is about the best u r going to find. You go to normal non Fiero shop they are going to charge you more and the swap will be sub par. Cost of parts vary alot cause of the cost of the core parts like motor, trans, mounts, harness, ect. Add in if u take the extra effort to change out needed gsskets, cleaning and painting.

chriswf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chriswfSend a Private Message to chriswfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Never gonna complete a nice clean reliable 3800 swap into a Fiero in 40 hours. It sounds good and looks good on paper but is not gonna happen. Labor at $3000 for a nice swap is about the best u r going to find. You go to normal non Fiero shop they are going to charge you more and the swap will be sub par. Cost of parts vary alot cause of the cost of the core parts like motor, trans, mounts, harness, ect. Add in if u take the extra effort to change out needed gsskets, cleaning and painting.

Wow over 40? I now have a whole new respect for anyone with this engine...

I swapped a 4efte starlet gt engine into a tercel a few years ago. It was like 14-16 hrs of work. No welding though. Even swapped the tmic for an fmic. Japanese to English wiring diagram :P

I might buy the fiero today or tomorrow. If it has to stay 2.8liters, then I'll still love it forever
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After building /swapping 2 of these bad boys, (3800SC) I will say that it is not just a "throw it together" kinda of swap. Even though I did them for me when I had the time. getting the parts together either 5 sp. or auto that part did take some of the time.
Steven like most of us have a reg job.and I am sure he is faster than me putting it all together.Still takes me over a month to get it together yet alone tuned and running well.
Sure you will find alot of ugly swaps that were thrown together out there, and they look like it! More like a child did it.

I would gladly pay in the neighborhood of $4-5000 to have someone else do as clean swap as I do.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sent you a PM

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock