Starting to think my Fiero is cursed... by Quad Raider
Started on: 01-09-2014 01:46 PM
Replies: 23 (948 views)
Last post by: Tuna Helper on 07-12-2015 01:47 AM
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought an '87 Coupe from its original owner in January of 2011. My plan was (and still is) to use it as a new home for the Quad 4 out of my rusty Beretta GTZ. According to my original plan, I would have the swap finished and the Fiero on the road as my daily driver in six months. Well, here it is three YEARS later and I'm still working on the swap.

The thing is, every time I make progress, something goes wrong with one of the other vehicles in my family. For instance, I planned to spend my vacation last week working on the swap but burned two days dealing with the front axles on my daughter's Toyota. By Sunday evening I was feeling pretty good about the progress I'd made on fabricating engine/trans mounts. Monday morning on the way to work with the temperature at -2 degrees, my Jeep overheated and blew its head gasket (and maybe worse). I'm not dodging responsibility for the coolant issue, but it's hard not to think something else is at play here.

The kicker is, I still love the car. I've never even driven it, but I love it. Can't wait to finish the swap, paint it, reupholster the seats, etc., then drive the hell out of it.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Be careful with those wheel covers.....you don't see them much any more.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the club... I am even on my second uninstalled engine. B)

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the curse of the Jeep and Toyota
Maybe they are jealous!
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Sounds like the curse of the Jeep and Toyota
Maybe they are jealous!

Of course! That must be it.

I just pulled the head off my Jeep and it looks OK. Blew the head gasket on the number 1 and 6 cylinders, but I don't see any cracks and the pistons look good.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Quad Raider

865 posts
Member since Dec 2010

Originally posted by carbon:

Welcome to the club... I am even on my second uninstalled engine. B)

That's too funny. I'm now up to three Quads total. They seem to multiply once you pull them out of a car.
PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This happens to me all the time. Any time I would buy parts or do work on my '85 GT, something would go wrong with my Volvo. It's almost like she was saying, "You cheating B@$t@rd! How dare you!"
FieroTony

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2014 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems every time mine is running great with no problems for a while, I'll either mention on PFF or to friends or family. Sure enough, it's like something start's acting up or needs replacing. Therefore, I try not to comment on how she's running.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The curse strikes again. Blew the head gasket on my Jeep again. Yes, it's my own fault (a slow coolant leak and the lack of a working temperature gauge are a dangerous combination). But I had made significant progess on my Fiero engine swap and was actually starting to think I might finish it before the end of the year.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would not allow your hobby to become like work. A spare hour here and an hour there all add up. I've had projects that go in a month or two and others that drag on for 10 years like my 4.9L ragtop. I am just getting to that one now. If we were all full time mechanics things would be different but most of us are part time and labor intensive work takes time.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 'curse' started with a blown break line. 3 years later I'm swapping the engine & transmission. & just to explain further, it was still a few more years before it was on the road.

It's like the thread on a sweater.

[This message has been edited by no2pencil (edited 09-19-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
runner92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2014 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for runner92Send a Private Message to runner92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know how feel and I bet your right about the jealous cars
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On a positive note, I had to roll the Fiero out of the shop to put the Jeep inside, so it gave me a chance to take some photos.

I AM making progress.

I also got the head off the Jeep and it is toast, almost literally. Three huge cracks, including one between the valves in the #1 cylinder. I really baked it.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2014 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look on the bright side, I bet all of your cars are paid for!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

Starting to think my Fiero is cursed...

Jealousy among vehicles - I've seen it.

My GT was jealous of the time/money being spent on the Indy.
It had things like noisy water pump (only a few years old), suspension issues, and S/C idler pulley problems.
Then it dumped a clutch last year in an unheard of manner. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129057.html

This spring while neither Fiero was driveable (installing 1227165 ECMs), my mini-van had an electrical crap-out (ECM related).
I needed to get a loaner vehicle for a week while it was fixed.

Then there is the general vehicle curse like my Indy has - where the vehicle is never "right" and everything always seems to go wrong.
I've had numerous things to sort out after rebuilding the car (transmission, clutch line, carb problems, exhaust, unexplained noises and more).
You'd think installing a new (rebuilt) steering rack would solve steering issues? //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/133418.html
Or an aftermarket "self tuning" injection system that works "as advertised"? //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000077-5.html

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2014 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sorry to hear of your curse! I hope it doesn't travel through the internet and get to me! Lol. I too had a Beretta GTZ back in the day. Quad 4 from an Olds Achieva SCX, manual transmission, hollowed out cat and JET performance chip = 180KM/H in third gear, no problem! This thing took everything I threw at it and it always ran and I never had one issue, ever! That's why I chose to install the Ecotec into my 84 Fiero. Good luck with the build.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Look on the bright side, I bet all of your cars are paid for!

Yes, they are.

By the way, the reason my Jeep overheated and blew the head gasket back in January wasn't because the coolant was low. The catalytic converter was plugged and the engine overheated because it was working so hard. The CC was actually under a factory recall for replacement, which I didn't discover until I installed a replacement head. Got it all put back together and the thing would idle fine but wouldn't go faster than 45 or 50 mph. I was stumped, until I did a google search for the symptoms and discovered the recall.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2015 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The curse is back. I took a week's vacation, hoping to spend 90% of the time working on my Fiero. I began the week on Sunday with a quick water pump replacement on my Jeep. What I thought was a piece of gasket stuck on the block turned out to be a crack. Based on the mysterious things the engine has been doing, I think the crack has been there for a long time.

My son and I pulled a replacement engine from the salvage yesterday and I'll try to get the cracked block out today.

I now believe the Jeep, not the Fiero, is cursed. Hopefully replacing the block will exorcise the demon.
Darth Z

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 02:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth ZSend a Private Message to Darth ZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! What kind of Jeep/engine? I know the 4.0 L is nearly impossible to kill. If that' s what you have, you must be pushing the hell out of it.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2015 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Jealousy among vehicles - I've seen it.

I just had an instance. After working 80 hours this week, I wanted to take the Fiero out for a spin to decompress. Apparently it saw me driving the Subaru a few times too many, and decided not to start. Charged the battery overnight and took it on a Taco Bell run an hour ago, ran perfectly.

I think it's funny OP appears to be using all 87 body panels
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2015 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Run Holy Water as coolent in the Jeep.
PFF
System Bot
Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thankfully my diesel truck isn't a jealous ***** .
My 3800sc ran fine until I blew up the clutch. Then it say for several years until I got motivated to fix it. Now, I've had trouble shifting into second, engine running very rich, and now the upper door hinge pin fell out on the way home from work. I was going to put in a new pin and bushings, but the local Advance Auto didn't have the right kit. Now, for the parts and tool from Rodney, is ~$50.

It's going to sit while I work on the bikes and maybe the boat. I'm starting to think about keeping the engine and trans and parting the rest. The PO who did the swap butchered the trunk and trunk wall.
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Z:

Wow! What kind of Jeep/engine? I know the 4.0 L is nearly impossible to kill. If that' s what you have, you must be pushing the hell out of it.

I think the block cracked in January 2014 when the catalytic converter became plugged as I was driving to work in below-zero temperatures. The Jeep has 221,000+ miles on it. I will be so thrilled when I get my Fiero finished so it can be my daily driver.
Tuna Helper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a 99 WJ and it is on engine #3. Yes 4.0.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock