Started on: 01-07-2014 10:28 AM
Replies: 9 (385 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 12-19-2014 12:40 AM
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had a few call and email me in the last year or so asking if my shift cable repair kit will work on the auto transmission cable. Seems some have a problem where the cable end will not stay on the pin on the shifting arm on the trans. One guy emailed me a picture showing 2 different auto transmission shifting arms. He was not sure if the one arm was actually from a Fiero. One shifting arm had a ball stud on it. Riveted to the arm and not adjustable. The other had a slot. From what I have heard there are 2 variations of the automatic shifting cables. One (possibly used in early Fiero's) was not adjustable. In the picture this guy send me one arm was slotted which would explain why the early auto cables were not adjustable. You could make the adjustment using the slot in the shifting arm on the trans.

I can see how to make a repair kit but I need a couple auto transmission shifting arms for R&D. Anyone have any they can spare? Also can anyone help me on the differences on the 2 automatic shifting cables. Adjustable and non-adjustable.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2014 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My transmission is a 1986. It has the stud riveted to the arm. It has no slots on the arm. I have never seen a slotted arm on on a Fiero transmission. I have had both cables. I have interchanged the cables. I am not sure when and why there were switch out for production use.
The shift arm ball for the cable is the same as the one at the end of the console shifter. The adjustable one is a + when doing a swap, and allowing for a non perfect shift bracket.

This is two pictures of one I sold last April

and

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 01-07-2014).]

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2014 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I now have a shifting arm off an automatic trans (thanks Paul S!). I can see the used automatic shifting cable I have here has basically no resistance to coming off this stud on the shifting arm when it is installed so I can see where many will probably need this. Maybe this is why some or most have asked for a new automatic shifting cable. So in my opinion there is no need to replace the whole cable just because the plastic end will not stay on the shifting arm stud on the trans. I can make a repair kit. I'll work on that soon. Will be a bolt in. One will need to remove their shifting arm and drill out the old stud. Easy to do. My new stud will then bolt in.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have some in stock. I'll be updating my web page soon. If anyone wants to try one N/C for R&D let me know.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just saw this thread when it got bumped back up.

I replaced my cable for exactly that reason. The ball fit very loosely on the pin mounted to the arm on the transmission. Mine has since become loose again, and actually use a couple of zip-ties as a temporary fix to hold the ball down on the pin.

It would have been much smarter on GM's part to put a "Slide clip" slot on the top of the ball to hold the cable end on the pin.

I am curious to see how you remedied it, and to place an order to fix this thing once and for all!
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will this cable fit the 4T65EHD trans? My car came with a broken cobbled up cable. I think I have pics on a thread.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 12-05-2014).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

solotwo

5374 posts
Member since Jun 2002
I found the post with the pictures showing my broken cable and how the PO used some Michigan engineering. LOL https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/132421.html
Rodney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2014 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have them in stock now:

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=57&products_id=338

Very easy to install. Cable will never pop off again once installed.

I'm sending a kit out for R&D to JohnWPB. He is going to install one and do a short write up soon.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2014 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bookmarked! Going to pick one of these up to replace when the engine & trans come out in the near future. No point in not doing it while it's easier to work on!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2014 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I received the cable repair kit. My car is in the paint shop at the moment, but I will do my very best to get pictures of it installed, and a write up on how it was to install as soon as I get the car back.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock