Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  I need to convince my parents that a Fiero is right for a first car (Page 4)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
I need to convince my parents that a Fiero is right for a first car by 8bit88
Started on: 01-02-2014 11:45 AM
Replies: 132 (3020 views)
Last post by: doublec4 on 02-24-2015 11:19 PM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mkiker2089:

We'll will have to just disagree on this one. I haven't had an insurance claim in 20 years so I can't imagine a premium low enough to merit full coverage even if I total my car today. My truck, forget about it. A 1985 S10 isn't worth much more than an 84. I bet if you add up the costs of the full coverage you'll find yourself in the red.

So do we agree to disagree, disagree to agree, or disagree to disagree?
IP: Logged
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mkiker2089:
I can't imagine a premium low enough to merit full coverage even if I total my car today.

What's "low enough"? I pay annual collision premiums of $16 for the '84, $16 for the '86 & $43 for the '88 (agreed value of $10,000 for the "new" Formula with 24,000 kilometers). Each has $500 deductible. I wonder how that compares to others...

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 07:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

What's "low enough"? I pay annual collision premiums of $16 for the '84, $16 for the '86 & $43 for the '88 (agreed value of $10,000 for the "new" Formula with 24,000 kilometers). Each has $500 deductible. I wonder how that compares to others...

Is there comprehensive or bodily injury, uninsured driver, etc on any? Also what the amounts of coverage are make a difference.
Also for the 84 and 86 if its not agreed value they may only pay out a few hundred over your deductible.
Something to think about.

(But not to get off topic and start another insurance thread)

8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So this thread has been dead for a bit, but I have two good reasons to blow the dust off of it. It all started yesterday when me and my family took a road trip to Nocallula Falls in Gadsen Alabama. On the way down I was looking out the window when I saw a yellow Fiero at a small used car dealership. This stuck out in my mind the whole time we were at the falls, and after, on the way back I got to look at it. It did not live up to its curb side appearance... the yellow paint was not good, a spray can job if I've ever seen one! Whoever did the paint did a really bad job and didn't even take off or replace the badges before covering it in paint. It was probably an 84 Base coupe at one point, but it had seen better days. Besides the paint, it needed a radio, trim replacement, and new tires. The sticker said $2995 but I figured it was crap even at 102k miles.
The second reason occurred today when I took a trip to The Fiero Factory! I got pictures and plan to post them soon. I saw a ton of cool one's. The highlights included a Navy Blue Mera, a Turbo GT, and a 1986 silver GT With 99k miles, great shape for $3500!
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Parents on board yet? Start talking about getting a motorcycle. They'll help you find a Fiero then...
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This could be considered a bump, but I figured I'd update y'all on my progress. So, I've recieved my permit, and have clocked quite a few miles (going so far as Birmingham from Huntsville area) in my dad's 2011 Impala (was surprised that I could handle 300 HP, so maybe the 90 or 130 I would get from a Fiero would be good). Still have that empty space in the driveway, and many a car project and perfect alike have come and gone without finding a home in my drive. The Fiero dominated my Christmas and now there are everything from clocks to FatHeads covering my room with Fiero goodies. Hopefully i'm getting closer to getting this vehicle, though my mother has expressed her disapproval of any car made later than 2009. I got a job last summer and the company (a local engineering firm) has offered me a job there, a more permanent position, once I get my license. I hope that all can go well and that sooner or later they will be fed up with my Car Of The Day type discussion at the dinner table. Thanks guys!
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2015 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Impala may shift at odd times, but the power is very manageable. Horsepower is just a number. It's either adequate or not. I've driven cars that had more than 1,000 HP and were manageable, and others with 400 or less that were a handful. The accelerator isn't an on/off switch.

I used to have a daily driver with 487 HP. I had a time going up hills on a particular highway in the rain, over 40 MPH. I replaced the tires, and the problem went away. You should be able to ”handle” the power of a production vehicle. A race car with the same power would be another thing.
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HEY! Can you wait until the end of the summer to get it? Say mid August? It's my first car too, and I would be honored to have it be your first as well. I'm sure you would take good care of her. I trust you would give me a fair enough offer even if I tell you I only bought it for $200.

I can provide a full history of the car, since I'm good friends with the last owner, who has owned it since he bought it new in 87, and is about the most responsible person ever. It's got an entirely new brake system from the reservoir to the pads that was professionally put in in the past spring, so it's safe. She's not in pristine condition, but she looks good, drives pretty well, and is about as reliable as you can get. It was a white 85 SE until I repainted the hood and trunk lids black with gray stripes since they were peeling/chipping pretty bad (it was still factory paint. I have before, during, and after pictures if you want). It's got the V6, and I removed the converter to make it sound better (it was completely hollow and spilt down the middle anyway). I don't want to ramble on here but if you want more details/pictures or anything just email me. dave.mcvan@yahoo.com or pm me on here.
Oolab1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oolab1Send a Private Message to Oolab1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oolab1

81 posts
Member since Apr 2014
Also at the cheap price it would cost, insurance is pretty cheap, and with only two seats keeping you from having too many people distracting you, plus being a manual car, it'll keep you pretty safe. Those were my two biggest arguments. Also it's so cheap that even with a fair amount of repair bills you still save money over buying a newer car, which would need it's own repairs anyway. And you learn about cars. That's what I told her. Good luck! I hope you get to enjoy them as much as I have!
8bit88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8bit88Send a Private Message to 8bit88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, a lengthy conversation with my mother revealed her problems with me getting a Fiero. Her first car was an 86ish Grand Am, 7x,xxx k miles and totally ragged. She blew up the engine when the thermometer died and she overheated the engine, also the radio was possessed and would cut on/off and screw with the volume randomly. Combine that with the lack of reliably working heat and a/c and airbags sums up her list of top 4 reasons against the Fiero.
1. No airbags
2. Mechanical gremlins
3. Electrical gremlins
4. Lack of reliable modern conveniences
Anyone care to agree/disagree with these? I do plan to get a stock or near stock Fiero with lower miles, and not have to trailer it home.
Additionally, there is a concern of mine about insurance rates. Is the GT any more expensive to insure, and what could I expect to pay on a Fiero being a 16 year old male, good student. Looking at a list of discounts offered by insurance agencies, there are a good many boxes that the Fiero doesn't check such as newer vehicle discount, having anti-lock brakes and airbags, or having anti-theft devices. And how might the Fiero compare (insurance and total cost to own) to my mom's suggestions such as a newer Camaro (4th or 5th gen), Grand Am, Grand Prix, or Cobalt.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Arguments in your favor:

As was mentioned way back, the Fiero was second only to a volvo wagon in crash safety during it's time of manufacture. That means it beat your mom's old Grand Am. Hey, look mom, no air bags.

Mechanical and electrical gremlins: Your mom's car was still an infant and it hadn't been vaccinated (all it's problems fixed over 30 years) against common illnesses. The Fiero isn't a Grand Am. Using her analogy, all GM cars would have the identical problems her car had. Don't let her know that they probably did :wink: .

The V6 cars beginning in 85 should cost the same to insure because they are the identical vehicle other than the 88 suspension and some bolt-on body panels. I had this argument with Travelers when they charged me 3 times the rate for my 86 SE than for my 87GT or my 88 Coupe which were the same rates. They claimed that the 86 was more likely to suffer or cause more damage than the other two in the event of an accident. It took a lot of evidence gathering to get the rate changed. All 4 cylinder cars should be pretty much the same across all years except maybe the Indy because of it's trim package.

Lack of modern conveniences: Simpler is sometimes better. The best of those simpler things is the OBD 1 computer. You don't need to go to a dealer and pay $80 to have an OBD 2 computer read only to find out you need transmission fluid, then find out it must be serviced by a dealer because the transmission is sealed and they charge $250 to top off the fluid or that when you have fixed the problem the trouble light still shows until you've driven the vehicle for a couple hundred miles, making you wonder if you bought a bad part. These two things happened to me with my Ford SportTrac. A bad thermostat, once replaced didn't turn off the trouble light for nearly 2 weeks. And you can't clear the trouble code. Ford charges $450 to change fluid and filter on the transmission because it's a sealed transmission. It is recommended every 30,000 miles.

On a Fiero you can check and clear trouble codes with a paper clip you found at school. I guess they still allow paper clips at school, unless they've now been classified as a dangerous weapon. Replace the indicated part or make the repair, clear the code with a paper clip and see if it comes back. You will know within the first time or two you drive the car.

Lastly, you will find no other place where you potentially can get the help of 25,000 plus people to give you every possible answer and solution you could ever hope for and to help you locate, give or sell you parts.

For someone who doesn't even have a Fiero, you've already garnered 130 replies and 2175 hits to your topic. All for free.
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No modern gremlins=less to go wrong

The Fiero is prone to its own problems. Just see JohnWPB's thread.

A modern Camaro will cost more to insure and be a far more powerful, more aggressive vehicle.

If the AC quits working, remove the belt and open the windows. Problem solved. The heater box/resistor coil does need to be cleaned regularly.

The Fiero should receive constant care and attention. Because of this, it should be less prone to problems. You need to stay on top of fluids and cleaning. It is a mid-engine car, after all.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2015 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't read the whole thread so I'm just commenting entirely on the thread title.

My Fiero was technically my first car. Quite honestly, I don't know if I would recommend it as a first car though. It's definitely taught me a lot along the way, but that's because it's been in a constant state of repair since I first bought it. It's an old car and you're very likely going to run into all sorts of problems. I couldn't afford to have it in the shop so most of the time I fixed it myself. I also wanted to upgrade things so I was forced to do that work myself as well.

If you have the money to fix it, or you have the time to do it yourself then I guess you could consider it.

I see you're from Alabama so the climate might not be a factor, but for me it was a poor choice because I can't drive the thing through winter up here in Canada. So that was another issue I didn't really think about when purchasing it.

If you're a student and you need something cheap to drive I would probably recommend (flame suit on) a honda civic. They're incredibly cheap to buy and operate, simple, very reliable, proven track record, practical, and parts are dirt cheap. You can still have fun with those cars and learn a lot too.

If you're going to buy a Fiero, I would plan to own it as your "fun car" or toy. This has been my personal experience.

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors