"NEW" '88 GT -- A few more questions by notaguru
Started on: 12-23-2013 10:26 PM
Replies: 8 (384 views)
Last post by: DKcustoms on 12-26-2013 07:11 PM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the 40k mile car picked up this past weekend...
I'm grateful for the help so far, but have further questions:

1. If I decide to change the car's color, should the panels be removed or left on?
2. Is this 2.8L V6 an "interference" engine?
3. With 40k miles and all original parts, should I change the timing belt just on principle?
4. What's the best preservative/treatment for GM's butyl rubber seals (interior compartments, sunroof, etc.)?
5. What spark plugs have produced good opinions here?
6. Trans fluid is bright and clean -- should it be changed just based on years?
7. I'd like to raise the driver seat by two inches, using 1 x 2" steel tube. Will that work? Is there an easier way?

LOOKING FOR SAN DIEGO OWNERS

THANKS for helping my transition from "ignorant" to "less-ignorant" -- expect more questions!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RobertGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RobertGTSend a Private Message to RobertGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd definitely change the timing belt right away

That was sarcastic. You'll have a fairly difficult time locating a timing belt. But the timing chain is pretty much new, as is most everything else on that car. You probably won't have to change much. Any spark plug will work just as well as the next, although some GM ignitions haven't liked the 2-4 prong ones. Get cheap AC Delco or Autolite plugs.

2.8 should be non-interference.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car was changed fron black to blue-gray. I didn't remove all the panels, but I took off what was easy to remove. (Lower rear quarters, beltline trim, rocker panels, wheel wells, mirrors and headlight doors.
I dumped all those pieces in the passenger floor, and asked the painter to paint them body color, as well.
The only noticeable issue is the rear clip. It started out as a maroon color. You can still see maroon poking our from places if you know where to look. It's not really obvious, though.

The 2.8 uses a timing chain. Not a belt. It's not an interference engine. I wouldn't change the timing chain until you have to go into the engine for some other reason. I've only ever heard of a small handful failing, as long as I've been messing with Fieros.

I have heard that silicone is good for the rubber weatherstrips.
In case someone makes the suggestion... I don't use Armor All on anything. Never.

Tranny fluid? I'd leave it alone. Didn't you say that all the fluids had been changed before you got the car? (Did I dream that?)

Raising the driver's seat.
I'd be inclined to remove the sliders from the seat, and install spacers between the sliders and the seat. (The sliders are only held on by two bolts on each side. Be sure to use something that won't "fold up" under cornering or other directional loads. Something that's 2" tall should, ideally, be 2" in diameter, as well. I'm thinking something like 2" diameter "pucks" mounted between the seat and the sliders. You will need longer bolts, of course.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 12-24-2013).]

kooljess

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kooljessSend a Private Message to kooljessEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notaguru:

1. If I decide to change the car's color, should the panels be removed or left on?
2. Is this 2.8L V6 an "interference" engine?
3. With 40k miles and all original parts, should I change the timing belt just on principle?
4. What's the best preservative/treatment for GM's butyl rubber seals (interior compartments, sunroof, etc.)?
5. What spark plugs have produced good opinions here?
6. Trans fluid is bright and clean -- should it be changed just based on years?
7. I'd like to raise the driver seat by two inches, using 1 x 2" steel tube. Will that work? Is there an easier way?

LOOKING FOR SAN DIEGO OWNERS

THANKS for helping my transition from "ignorant" to "less-ignorant" -- expect more questions!

Get a hold of Fakhri of the San Diego Group. Hopefully he chimes in and see your post. They are a nice group of nice people. Our group Fieros West is just a tad north of ya....Los Angeles, but you can still hook up with us.

------------------

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
I don't use Armor All on anything. Never.

I am curious as to why you don't like Armor All, my dad loves it, and I use it on my Fiero as well as my 2012 model year car.
I've never had any issues with it.

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 12-25-2013).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

I am curious as to why you don't like Armor All, my dad loves it, and I use it on my Fiero as well as my 2012 model year car.
I've never had any issues with it.

For some reason, it tends to make plastic - like dash covers and vinyl upholstery - brittle. I think it leaches the plasticizers out of the plastic.
I actually had the vinyl seat of an old Nova to shatter, one winter. Never saw that happen, on any car, before or since.
This one had been slathered in Armor All. (Even if it wasn't the cause, it sure didn't help.)
Aside from that, it's a dust magnet. Nothing like "wet looking" vinyl that attracts dust.

Others may have similar stories.
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notaguru:

Some of the color options like yellow and silver were made in low numbers. Please reconsider if it's low mileage. If you paint over it, it will take $$$ to make it not look like a repaint.
FieroTony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroTonySend a Private Message to FieroTonyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

For some reason, it tends to make plastic - like dash covers and vinyl upholstery - brittle. I think it leaches the plasticizers out of the plastic.
I actually had the vinyl seat of an old Nova to shatter, one winter. Never saw that happen, on any car, before or since.
This one had been slathered in Armor All. (Even if it wasn't the cause, it sure didn't help.)
Aside from that, it's a dust magnet. Nothing like "wet looking" vinyl that attracts dust.

Others may have similar stories.

Agreed. Dust magnet. Never use it anymore. Oh, and don't use it on your vinyl seats. Stupid teenager in the 80's.

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't want to hijack the thread, but for those of us who use Armor All but have had no ill effects (yet), what do you use instead or recommend?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock