Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  What are the best winter tires for Fiero?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What are the best winter tires for Fiero? by BrittB
Started on: 12-22-2013 11:51 AM
Replies: 36 (677 views)
Last post by: KurtAKX on 01-06-2014 08:04 PM
BrittB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are the best tire choices on stock rims for the Fiero in the winter? We do get the occasional ice glazing on the streets as well as the snow dump a couple times a year. Rest of the time it's just wet and cold!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not much in tires for infrequent ice except for studded tires. You need a real light right foot for winter driving. IMHO When I lived in the snow area, I parked the Fieros and dove a winter beater.
California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No tread racing tires. That way you won't be tempted to take it out during winter. The worse thing you can do to an aging Fiero is drive it when corrosion times are at their worst.

Now if it's just a beater that you don't care about, except for basic transportation, set of deep tread, soft compound tires. Regarding ice or glazed snow pack, nothing is safe.

[This message has been edited by California Kid (edited 12-22-2013).]

falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blocks,

so you will be sure not to damage the car with sand, salt and other things that makes your car rust.

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 | Work done 11-12 | Work done 12-13 |Work done 13-14 | 4.9 Swap |Parts for sale

n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys the OP lives in Keiser, OR. The average annual snowfall is 6 inches. That's total for the whole year.
So I think we could rule out road salts as a general use item. Think more along the lines of rain.
So, unless you go some place like Bend, La Grande or Baker City, you're just going to need a good rain tire. Lots of them out there from pretty much every tire maker.
But if you do make trips to the higher elevations where the snow/ice accumulates, then a good snow tire on all 4 corners. Preferably with studs.
I've driven the interior of Oregon during the winter. I used to drive semi's out of Seattle. I know how those roads can get. So if I was driving a Fiero there I'd want studs. If you don't want studs bring chains. Not those whimpy cable pieces of junk, CHAINS.
Yeah it's gonna be a rougher ride. And you're not gonna go fast. But you'll have a lot more traction than with cables.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2013 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I live in an area that doesn't use salt on the road and cars last a long time without major corrosion issues. My Fiero is rust free with the exception of a little in the battery area. Studs might be the way to go but parking it is an option as I have a 4x4 and it's kept in the garage anyway. Sometimes you get stuck out in the bad stuff so you need to be ready for anything! In the summer is when the 18" TSW's come out to play!
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I run General Altimax Artic. I had them on my 88 and now on the 87. 87 with the heaver engine goes through snow and ice better than my wifes new Chrysler 200. My son had a set on his Saab 9.2 (WRX) built by Subaru all wheel drive and had a blast in the UP with it. Great tires and they cost less than Blizzaks.

Tire Rack gave them a high rating. Go to Tire Rack and check out the data they have on winter tires.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 12-24-2013).]

ricjaymes2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 05:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ricjaymes2Send a Private Message to ricjaymes2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont drive mine during the winter only on clear roads in my opinion fieros should stay off the snow lol spun off the highway 2 times on one trip! scary stuff i tell ya!

------------------
Mark
87 Fiero SE

amflyer

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for amflyerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No Brainer just two words SNOW TIRES!
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fformula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any modern snow and ice tire should do. I would not bother with studs unless you get frequent icing on roads. If so, they are a good idea. Otherwise, a Blizzak, or Dunlop Wintersport tire should offer you much improved winter snow and ice traction and still be good for clear road use.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reality is today for all the weather you have you do not need full blown winter tires.

I live in the snow belt here in the shadow of Lake Erie and can get more snow while I am at work than you get all year. Also here we have most of the tech centers of most of the tire MFG and if you do not work for a MFG you have family and friends that do.

Winter tires have their place but generally they are more for harsher climates and areas where you do not see a plow. Studded tires are a thing of the past as few make them and they are not legal many places.

What I have found and used here where we can get well over 100" of snow a year is the Goodyear Triple Tread Assurance tires. I have used them on three vehicles and they have been great.

Now keep in mind not all All Season tires are the same. The newest and latest tires are using multi compounding on the tread and it gives you better grip and wear in all conditions. I have not had any issues with these tires and just love them. The snow has never been a problem and the rain driving has never been better.

But like I said All Season tires are not all the same as many older types or specialized models can affect the performance in the snow. Example my Eagle LS tires on my Malibu and the Hankooks that came OE on my Terrain suck. They both are an older tire and one made more for MPG than grip. Both will be replaced with the Tripletreads.

The other factor is the nose of the car is light and no matter what tire you have it will not turn in as well as most other cars. You will get a little more understeer than most cars and you just have to watch it. Also the short wheel base can make for the Fiero to rotate faster if the back does over steer. Neither are horrid but just some good tires and care will get you through.

Here is a video on the TripleTreads to better explain the compounding I spoke of.

http://search.yahoo.com/sea...JlYWQgZ29vZHllYXIgdm lkZW8EcXVlcnkDdHJpcGxlIHRyZWFkIGdvb2R5ZWFyIHZpZGVvBHNhbwMxBHRvU3RyaW5nA1tvYmplY3QgT2JqZWN0XQ--?p=triple%20tread%20goodyear%20video&fr2=sb-top&fr=yfp-t-192&pqstr=triple%20tread%20goodyear%20video

Hey if my wife likes them then you should have no issue. She wants them on our Terrain next year as she has not liked the Hankooks after several seasons on the Tripletreads.

Tires may all look round and black but when seeking tires learn what they are intended for and get the newest models as they are like cars and the newest have the best technology in them. Not all of the are alike.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2013 01:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by amflyer:

No Brainer just two words SNOW TIRES!

Amen!!!! On all four corners.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:
Amen!!!! On all four corners.

Maybe for Grand Rapids but for six inches of yearly snow in Oregon? A bit over dramatic in cost and need.
Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Firestone Winterforce have worked well for me.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Goodyear Triple Tread Assurance tires might be just the ticket on our 2000 BMW 328i. I don't really require much for that car as we don't push it very hard but it does see year around driving, I'll check those out! I'm also thinking about just leaving the Fiero in the garage during the crummy months, it's not worth losing it to ice on the roads or other less able drivers.
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Maybe for Grand Rapids but for six inches of yearly snow in Oregon? A bit over dramatic in cost and need.

Wrong they are not that expensive. Besides what would you spend on a wrecker to yang you out of the snow bank? Or to get your car repaired from a fender bender? Winter tires work better in cold weather were as other tires loose efficiency as it gets colder. This year is the first year in a long time that we really have had sufficient snow.
deadwood

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deadwoodSend a Private Message to deadwoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think new all seasons are what you need for your situation. I have Hankook iPikes on my Focus, but I'm in WI. We get plenty of snow usually. If you just get 6" and occasional ice, snow tires are not needed.

------------------
'86 Fiero SE 2M6
'01 Ford Focus ZX3
'07 Honda Odyssey
'87 Dodge Daytona 2.2L Turbo
'96 Yamaha YZF600R

x-thumpr-x

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2014 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for x-thumpr-xSend a Private Message to x-thumpr-xEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you were closer, I have a set of winter tires I've been trying to off load. Used to have an 87 SE for daily driver, it was a blast to drive in the snow, never got stuck. Unfortunately I live in an area where salt is widely used and not the first owner to drive it all year round. I had Goodyear Ultra Grips on the rear 205/70/R14 and Motormaster SE on the front 195/70/R14. My driveway is in the back and it's uphill. I would come around the corner without slowly down much while putting the car into a drift to line up with the driveway then hammer it most of the way up to keep the moment going.

weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Winter tires have their place but generally they are more for harsher climates and areas where you do not see a plow. Studded tires are a thing of the past as few make them and they are not legal many places."

I keep studded tires on my daughter's car all winter, And I care less if they are a thing of the past. She's in her 5th winter of driving and never a problem, and we see plenty of snow and ice both.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Wrong they are not that expensive. Besides what would you spend on a wrecker to yang you out of the snow bank? Or to get your car repaired from a fender bender? Winter tires work better in cold weather were as other tires loose efficiency as it gets colder. This year is the first year in a long time that we really have had sufficient snow.

Oh the drama!

We had nearly 8" of snow here over the last tow days and I had no issues getting around and this was with even 300 HP.

Yes winter tires have their place but you can not cast all ALL SEASON tires into one group. Some are crap and some are nearly or as good as some winter tires.

The tires I use have a modern Silica compound for ice and winter traction that is long wearing and has great winter grip. To be honest driving in snow is boring as there is no issue to getting around. Hell I even backed in the drive up hill and around the house to the back garage though even drifted snow and no danger of getting stuck.

So not all non winter tires lose their ability if you chose wisely a modern well compounded tire.

As for in his case it is a no brainer as he gets less snow all year than I get in a after noon. Hell if I lived where he lived I would not even own boots.

So yes I agree if you live in a ultra harsh area where you get a lot of snow and salt is not working under 15 degrees for long periods of time winter tires are fine. But in most other areas and in his case in Oregon where he gets so little snow an premium modern compounded all season will do just fine. Yes in the much colder areas it is not so much the tires giving up as the fact salt stops working that is the major issue.

The key is to pick a well performing tire in winter as All Season and Winter tires are not unlike Performance tires where they are all not equal and use the most modern compounds. Add to this the tires that are made to have less rolling resistance and you will see even a decrease in performed even in the dry.

If you have not owned or drive a set of Triple Treads then you have no idea of where I am coming from. I have driven winter tires and I have used Triple Treads on 3 cars for many winters now and there has never been a close call going for the ditch or need of a tow truck. Yesterday I was even pushing snow with the air dam where it was deep and unplowed and nary put a tire out of place. Now would I have done that with the Eagle LS no but the Triple Tread really work and do the job.

Sunday we are set to get 5-6 more inches and I will be on my way to work like any other day with nary a death grip on the wheel. The only real issue I have are the idiots that have nearly or fully bald tires trying to make their way.
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

"Winter tires have their place but generally they are more for harsher climates and areas where you do not see a plow. Studded tires are a thing of the past as few make them and they are not legal many places."

I keep studded tires on my daughter's car all winter, And I care less if they are a thing of the past. She's in her 5th winter of driving and never a problem, and we see plenty of snow and ice both.

Learn the truth on modern tires and you will find they are not needed and that some of the regular winter tires have even better grip if that is what you need. What I mean about being in the past is there are better options today and in many areas they are no longer legal.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We get a few feet of snow a season here in Ohio. They salt down anything deeper than 1/2". They even salt if its just predicted and none is on the road. I buy either Bridgestone or Dunlop All Seasons most of the time. Never had any problems. I had Hankooks on one of my Vettes and they were like sleds in anything more than a sprinkle. The car was totally UNDRIVEABLE on a freeway when it was wet. I dont like Goodyears because the ones Ive had (Eagles) were so soft, they always were worn bald by 15K. I sold my Mustang when it had 75,000 and on its 4th set of tires. I usually get well over 100K on my tires on everything.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put a set of Nokian Hakkapelitta R2's on the Subaru, and they're a night and day difference driving through these snow storms compared to the summers the car came with. Only complaint is they cost more than I paid for the Fiero. If I ever drive the Fiero in the snow again, I would definitely get a set for it.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

We get a few feet of snow a season here in Ohio. They salt down anything deeper than 1/2". They even salt if its just predicted and none is on the road. I buy either Bridgestone or Dunlop All Seasons most of the time. Never had any problems. I had Hankooks on one of my Vettes and they were like sleds in anything more than a sprinkle. The car was totally UNDRIVEABLE on a freeway when it was wet. I dont like Goodyears because the ones Ive had (Eagles) were so soft, they always were worn bald by 15K. I sold my Mustang when it had 75,000 and on its 4th set of tires. I usually get well over 100K on my tires on everything.

Well here is another case where you can not lump all tires into one class. Goodyear puts Eagle on anything that is performance related. Good idea? Not sure on that myself but it is marketing and Michelin also does the same with the Pilot.

Anyways just because it is an Eagle does not mean it is good or bad. Here again you have to look at how new of a model or design it is and just what the use it. The cheaper Eagles and soft compounds will wear out fast just as any other related performance tire. There are other Eagles that are made for longer wear and performance but you will pay a lot more than you will for an older RSA or LS Eagle.

The RSA and LS are two of the oldest tires on the market and I would not put them on a Tractor as they just are behind on the market. But there are tires like the Eagle F1 Asymmetrical and others that give great performance and wear as they use new modern designs and up to date compounding. In fact many of their better tires may have 3 different compounds in the tread to give you better wear and grip in all condition.

The same applies to other tires companies too. I had a set of OE pilots on my Chevy that were horrid in anything but dry even thought they were All Season. But they were a very old Pilot tire and one Michelin was willing to sell cheap to GM.

Most OE tires are cheap crap. Automakers do not want to pay anything for tires so they often get cheaper brands or they get older designs. Some models like a ZL1 or Corvette will get a tire engineered for them as GM is willing to pay for a better tire for better performance in a higher end car. Same for the Volt as they use a better tire as it will give up to 7 more miles on a charge.

The bottom line is all companies have good and bad tires and you really need to check them out just as you would buying a car. You can look at a 2013 Chevy truck and get it a little cheaper but you can spend a little more and get the up to date more advance 2014 Chevy truck and have a much better truck Same applies to tires.
onesexyfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onesexyfieroSend a Private Message to onesexyfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
General Altimax Arctics and Goodyear Ultra Grips are pretty good for the money. I always run a series narrower, ie a 205 rather than a 215. I'd avoid studs. They're incredibly loud, tear up the road, and you don't really need them unless you're on some serious ice.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2 of my Lincoln limos had Michelin as did the last Caddy limo. You couldnt hardly wear them out. The Caddy had 120K and did need 2 rears. The Eagles on my Shelby Mustang were OEM. Prob softer than most, but def not cheapos. It was a cruiser to me, so I didnt burn them up doing burnouts and spinouts.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2014 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2 of my Lincoln limos had Michelin as did the last Caddy limo. You couldnt hardly wear them out. The Caddy had 120K and did need 2 rears. The Eagles on my Shelby Mustang were OEM. Prob softer than most, but def not cheapos. It was a cruiser to me, so I didnt burn them up doing burnouts and spinouts.

My OE Pilots may have gone on for miles but if the humidity was too high they had not grip and if it rained they hydroplaned like a boat.

One thing many people over look in performance tires is even if you do not burn them up you do get wear from cornering and many forget about braking. Much of the wear on todays cars is do to the better brakes. You may not lock them up but they do have a grating effect on the tread.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive never owned a set of snow tires on hundreds of cars I had. We had a couple of 4" snowfalls here recently and Im doing just fine passing 4x4 SUVs in the ditch with my 103,000 mile OEM all seasons.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ive never owned a set of snow tires on hundreds of cars I had. We had a couple of 4" snowfalls here recently and Im doing just fine passing 4x4 SUVs in the ditch with my 103,000 mile OEM all seasons.

I haven't used snow tires either. Mostly its because I drive long distances and on the paved road they are too soft and wear down fairly quick. I have had good luck with all season or m+s tires that have a good tread pattern and good sipes.
Though snow/winter tires will outperform them in snow and ice.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While snow tires may perform better the fact is some A/S work well enough to handle the job with no issues.

Add to this that the Stability Control and ABS on most cars today will make even the weakest tires work better than they even should.

I have a Coworker who drives from Youngstown To Akron daily and often on bald tires. Smart no but proof that the systems in the car can get you though most snow and ice even with the poorest tires.
PFF
System Bot
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2014 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stay away from goodyear LS tires. They are junk! My wifes leased 200 has them on it. The car is worthless in the snow. We have a slanted driveway and I have to have the surface bare before it can make it up the driveway. The Fiero GT with the 3800 and skinny snows can start any place in the driveway with snow on it and drive right in. I like the General Altimax Artic tires that I have on the Fiero. AS I mentioned before my son had a Saab 9.2(built by Subaru for Saab, it is a WRX with Saab touches to it) AWD and said they were great on his car.

Her next car will not be a 200 or a car with the worthless goodyears on it.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 01-05-2014).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Stay away from goodyear LS tires. They are junk! My wifes leased 200 has them on it. The car is worthless in the snow. We have a slanted driveway and I have to have the surface bare before it can make it up the driveway. The Fiero GT with the 3800 and skinny snows can start any place in the driveway with snow on it and drive right in. I like the General Altimax Artic tires that I have on the Fiero. AS I mentioned before my son had a Saab 9.2(built by Subaru for Saab, it is a WRX with Saab touches to it) AWD and said they were great on his car.

Her next car will not be a 200 or a car with the worthless goodyears on it.

LS are junk but to lump all off any one brand as junk is inaccurate. I can show you Generals that are just as bad too. Continental owns General now and they have their good and bad too just like any other company.

But I agree the LS and RSA are two of the oldest tires on the market and their performance shows. Also they are the two Goodyear sells for a lot of OE sales because they will let them go cheap.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, my Sebring has the original Continental Touring All Seasons that came on it.
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can't say I drive my Fiero in the winter so I don't know how well it would do (but in an unexpected light Easter snow, I spun out very easily with the Toyo summer tires on it.) My Audi with Quattro though has a set of Pirelli Winter Carving (studdable) snow tires and and there is obviously no problems what so ever. I've had them for 4-5 seasons so far and the tread wear is great, we'll see if they'll need replaced for next season. Even when I had to run through a winter on the set of "sporty" Nexen tires (allseasons maybe, I don't remember) the car did good enough. This is also apples to oranges for this conversation.

But my girlfriend's Kia Soul is just trash in the snow. You have to really baby it to not have any problems. Sadly I don't know what tires it comes with OE for the comparison...

Tires really are not all the same when comparing type. All of the All Season's I've had on my new cars were kind of "meh" and my Audi is the only car I've gotten 2 designated summer and winter sets for. The Fiero also gets a set of summer tires because I have no plans to ever drive it in the snow or when it's getting very cold.

But if there is only 6" of snow a year, I don't see the point of have a set of winter tires. Just make sure you do the research on All Seasons and get a good set for wet conditions. It probably wouldn't be smart to get a summer tire because you'll need a compound good in cold conditions.

Or you could get a set of Textile Snow Chains for short sprints in snowy conditions...
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KaijuSenso:

Can't say I drive my Fiero in the winter so I don't know how well it would do (but in an unexpected light Easter snow, I spun out very easily with the Toyo summer tires on it.) My Audi with Quattro though has a set of Pirelli Winter Carving (studdable) snow tires and and there is obviously no problems what so ever. I've had them for 4-5 seasons so far and the tread wear is great, we'll see if they'll need replaced for next season. Even when I had to run through a winter on the set of "sporty" Nexen tires (allseasons maybe, I don't remember) the car did good enough. This is also apples to oranges for this conversation.

But my girlfriend's Kia Soul is just trash in the snow. You have to really baby it to not have any problems. Sadly I don't know what tires it comes with OE for the comparison...

Tires really are not all the same when comparing type. All of the All Season's I've had on my new cars were kind of "meh" and my Audi is the only car I've gotten 2 designated summer and winter sets for. The Fiero also gets a set of summer tires because I have no plans to ever drive it in the snow or when it's getting very cold.

But if there is only 6" of snow a year, I don't see the point of have a set of winter tires. Just make sure you do the research on All Seasons and get a good set for wet conditions. It probably wouldn't be smart to get a summer tire because you'll need a compound good in cold conditions.

Or you could get a set of Textile Snow Chains for short sprints in snowy conditions...

A good example is on the HHR the standard Firestones they all came with were total crap in anything but dry. The snow driving on them were horrible. On the HHR web site many complain how bad the car is in the snow. Then they get a decent set of replacement tires and they are shocked how good the car is. I suspect the Kia just has crap OE tires and a good set of A/S tires would change the whole drive.

My HHR with the Triples are almost boring. I like to slide a car around and it is not easy to do. I did get it tail out the other day but I had to hit a really big pile of slushy snow at a intersection.

I miss my days in my Sonoma 2 WD with the limited slip. I would steer it with the gas pedal more than the steering wheel.

KurtAKX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2014 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nokian Nordman 4 or Hakkas
Blizzak WS-70s
Michelin X-ICE 3

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock