Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  A Fiero Dune Buggy - How would you do it?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
A Fiero Dune Buggy - How would you do it? by Boostdreamer
Started on: 12-11-2013 12:09 PM
Replies: 24 (2466 views)
Last post by: Boostdreamer on 12-25-2013 11:28 AM
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got pretty lucky with my GT. It is a nice car and needs very little.

It doesn't make much sense for me to build another nice original-ish street Fiero. I think I'll (eventually) put my L67 in my GT and do something completely different with the 85. What would you say to a Fiero based, dune buggy looking, snow and foul weather car? I have always liked the looks of VW Baja Bugs so why not combine my interests?

How would you do it? What would you change and what would you keep? Auto or Getrag? Duke or 2.8? Carpet or bed liner? Original body panels or maybe the Jalapeno body? Stock axles and control arms or longer for more ground clearance?

Very interested in your thoughts!

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 12-11-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These pics are with stock suspension but no engine or trans. There seems to be a decent amount of ground clearance. Has anyone used coil overs to RAISE their Fiero?

Jonathan
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man I would kill for a frame like that ...... good luck with your build .... I'd remove the top and doors put in roll bars and a lift kit, leave it manual and modify the OEM skins with wide body fenders and dune buggy tire ..... would look like a sandrail .....

regards
Danyel
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Man I would kill for a frame like that ......

regards
Danyel

It is in great shape! Only 23K original miles on it when I bought it non-running. I've never had it running since I bought it years ago as a parts car. It is virtually rust free.

I have to have doors and a top to drive it in winter. Gotta save my GT from salt and ditch lines!

Jonathan

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always thought the 4x4 Fieros were kinda neat….albeit a little redneck but all the same… neat.
This is a kit offered by Pisa although I don’t think they exist any longer.

And here’s a combo of a Fiero and a shortened s10
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That one by Pisa is called the Jalapeno. I have always thought they were onto something but that it needed some tweaking. (Merry Christmas Curly! )

I would like to know more about the way they lifted them. You used to be able to just buy the suspension stuff separately. Does anybody know anything about what was included in the Jalapeno suspension kit?

Edit: The website is still up.
http://pisafierohq.com/

Found this page:
http://pisafierohq.com/rebody_kits/jalapeno/

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 12-11-2013).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007
My understanding of the lift kit is that it raises the car body but there is no additional ground clearance under the cradle or the front crossmember. That's cheating! Back to control arms, spindles, axles, and coil overs!

Jonathan
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"and now for something completely different " by artworks page 2 in the construction zone . jalepeno body , custom suspension .
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not exactly a dune buggy, but saw these last summer on OH S.R.#26 out in front of my shop. They were converted to paint the center lines in the road! They cut just about everything off that made it recognisable as a Fiero, but the rear end and the 2.8 kinda gives it away.

I know the picture is really small and hard to make out, that's why I never posted them before now, but rest assured, they both started out as Fiero's! I talked to the guy driving the one in front, but he was kind of in a hurry, sorry I didn't get any better pictures. Just thought they might fit in this thread.

HAGO!
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sage, can you e-mail or PM that pic to me? Maybe send it to my phone? If so, maybe I can re-size it for everyone to see.

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007

Originally posted by wftb:

"and now for something completely different " by artworks page 2 in the construction zone . jalepeno body , custom suspension .

I had seen that thread but not pages 2-4. I only saw the first page that can be seen in General Chat. He's done quite a bit more work! Looking good!

Here's the whole thread from the Construction Zone:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000131.html

Jonathan

PFF
System Bot
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:
Sage, can you e-mail or PM that pic to me?

Done. Just clicked on the "email" tab at the top of your post. LMK if it doesn't work for you.

HAGO!
N3M3S1S

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for N3M3S1SSend a Private Message to N3M3S1SEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We came across this one a few years ago at Carlisle. It was built on an International frame of sorts. Had a V8 and all. It was pretty bad ass, I think a member here bought it some time ago.

I've always been a fan of that Jalapeno kit for some reason. It's just odd enough that I like it a lot. Lol
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by N3M3S1S:

This one looks very similar to the one above but I think it is different. Notice it has a wing and both wheel wells have been opened up. That does a lot to make it look right.

Jonathan

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-12-2013 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always found this to have possibilities. I think that if left with glass in, and full features, this would be a blast to drive. Summer or winter.

Edit: Anyone have any info on this Fiero? Pics?

[This message has been edited by Tony Kania (edited 12-12-2013).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is pretty cool and much closer to what I had envisioned! After seeing the Jalapeno in the other thread, I know I DON'T want to go that route. Not that it isn't cool, because it is. It just isn't different ENOUGH to be worth all the body work and cost. Since I've got some experience making front bumpers (iGTO) I see no reason I couldn't do a Jeep/Hummer style front bumper and come up with something for the rear too.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 12-12-2013).]

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2013 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:
And here’s a combo of a Fiero and a shortened s10

I know its red-neck but I still want to do this someday. Not half-ass, but really do it right.

Rob
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-13-2013 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

... Not half-ass, but really do it right.

Rob

This term nearly always precedes, "Hand me my beer."

CaravanBill

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2013 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CaravanBillSend a Private Message to CaravanBillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's an interesting one for sale near me right now:

http://portland.craigslist..../boa/4227681202.html
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2013 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CaravanBill:

There's an interesting one for sale near me right now:

http://portland.craigslist..../boa/4227681202.html

I just sent this guy a text asking about his suspension. I'll post if he gives me any details.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 12-14-2013).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I grabbed this off the other thread.

Jonathan
PFF
System Bot
jaybug56

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

I always found this to have possibilities. I think that if left with glass in, and full features, this would be a blast to drive. Summer or winter.

Edit: Anyone have any info on this Fiero? Pics?

Now this is something more in line with the original concept of a dune buggy from the '60s. An old VW bug would have the front nose cut off and the tail bobed enough to expose the engine. This would allow a much better approach angle and would never hit the front sheet metal. Throw some slightly bigger knobby tires on that with maybe 2 inches of lift and it would be a bad a$$ at the dunes or tails and you could drive it around town everyday. Unlike the Fiero on the Too Tall Truck frame that get very old in a short period of time. Can you imagine getting in and out of that thing 3 or 4 times a day?
Anybody out there got a beater they want to sell? I might want to give it a try.
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With the fenders and liners removed, there is plenty of room for taller tires. If you wanted to do some cutting, you would have even more room. I wonder how much ground clearance you could gain without changing the suspension at all? You would need to pay attention to the offset. You wouldn't want those taller tires hitting when in a full turn.

Jonathan

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 12-23-2013).]

Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2013 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Boostdreamer

7175 posts
Member since Jun 2007

Jonathan
Boostdreamer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2013 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would it be easier to make a longer travel rear suspension on an 88 cradle or a pre-88 one?

Jonathan

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock