aztec needles by johnlp1994
Started on: 12-06-2013 12:55 AM
Replies: 34 (1796 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 12-02-2014 12:04 AM
johnlp1994

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnlp1994Send a Private Message to johnlp1994Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hi im wondering i have a couple sets of aztec needles that i was going to put in my truck but i ended up getting rid of it and im wondering if they would work in the fiero?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To be clear here we are not talking about New World acupuncture. The Aztec instrument cluster pointer thingys are a lot like the Aztec itself.....too big and too ugly. I would be concerned that they have too much mass to operate with the delicate Fiero magnetic field instruments.... and then can I just ask .....why?
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

To be clear here we are not talking about New World acupuncture. The Aztec instrument cluster pointer thingys are a lot like the Aztec itself.....too big and too ugly. I would be concerned that they have too much mass to operate with the delicate Fiero magnetic field instruments.... and then can I just ask .....why?

Aztek.... Geez, if you are going to try and make fun of it, at least spell the name correctly (sort of like people saying "Feiro")

BTW, I have an Aztek and other than the generic GM engine/tranny, it has been a great vehicle for moving people and supplies as it is very comfortable for long and short trips, plus the interior space is amazingly large. But there is a lot of hate for something people have never driven. Take a look around, a lot of new crossovers are starting to look a lot like the Aztek.

On the needles, look at the center pin hole to see if it is similar size.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
oops, I thought John knew how to spell it. No hate here.....it's just an ugly way to transport yourself down the highway in comfort.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 12-06-2013).]

johnlp1994

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnlp1994Send a Private Message to johnlp1994Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i just like the look of the needles, sorry on the misspell. but i know that its almost a direct swap for the 95-98 chevy trucks and it does add a good degree of style (atleast in my eyes) and was curious to if anyone has done it on a fiero before
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
Aztek.... Geez, if you are going to try and make fun of it, at least spell the name correctly (sort of like people saying "Feiro")

BTW, I have an Aztek and other than the generic GM engine/tranny, it has been a great vehicle for moving people and supplies as it is very comfortable for long and short trips, plus the interior space is amazingly large. But there is a lot of hate for something people have never driven. Take a look around, a lot of new crossovers are starting to look a lot like the Aztek.

On the needles, look at the center pin hole to see if it is similar size.

I liked the vehicle and sold quite a few of them. Had one family buy two with in a week.

Ang84Indy

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ang84IndySend a Private Message to Ang84IndyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used to own an Aztek a few years ago. From what I remember, the needles were longer, so don't know if they would fit. They are lighted needles, so the question is how to light them when they are mounted on Fiero gages.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 04:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Take a look around, a lot of new crossovers are starting to look a lot like the Aztek.

I totally agree. Although most people remember the Aztek as ugly it's styling was way ahead of it's time. It was GM's first crossover, and at that time no one knew what a crossover was supposed to look like. It wasn't the prettiest vehicle in the barn, but it's more in family now than it was back in the 90s.
johnlp1994

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnlp1994Send a Private Message to johnlp1994Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i wasnt really a fan of the outside but the inside but the inside atleast to me was comfy and roomy and also had a degree of styling. also i found a thread on how to safely remove the needles so i tried it out and the pins on the fiero motors are to small for the aztek needles but im sure theres ways to be able to make it work if your motivated enough, im not to big on it with the dash i have now but if im ever lucky enough to be able to get a amida g1 dash i would deffinatly be finding a way to make them work.

i remember on gmt400 forum there was a simaler problem with the aztek needles, it fits fine with minimal mods for a 95 to 98 trucks but with the 91 to 94 trucks the pin on the motor was to small. one of the solutions another member came up with is to fill the hole one the needle with a epoxy and re drill it to the pin to fit
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I'm clueless, what's so special about the Aztek needles that people want to transplant them?
johnlp1994

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2013 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnlp1994Send a Private Message to johnlp1994Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
its just the style of them looks other worldly and to a degree exotic for gm needles, id post i picture if i knew how but cant figure that part out yet sorry
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2013 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like those a lot. But I think I will stay with the G6 gauges when I change my dash to the G6 dash.

johnlp1994

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnlp1994Send a Private Message to johnlp1994Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for posting a picture jaskispyder
smartaxel

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had 3 Azteks over the last 10 years. They run great, easy to repair, and are standard GM motors that last forever, and I can fit plenty of things in the hatch- including drywall, treadmill, Fiero parts. I just bought a nice rust-free Florida one 2 weeks ago to replace my older one. Styling is quite unique, but as the other gentleman said, it really fits the newer crossover market more than it did 10+ years ago. Some guy swapped a 3800 into one too, just like us fiero folks.... I looked, but honestly I didn't find a vehicle I liked better that fit the price-point, had all wheel drive, and the mount of space I wanted.
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it when the AWD Disabled light is on all the time...
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

I've had 3 Azteks over the last 10 years. They run great, easy to repair, and are standard GM motors that last forever, and I can fit plenty of things in the hatch- including drywall, treadmill, Fiero parts. I just bought a nice rust-free Florida one 2 weeks ago to replace my older one. Styling is quite unique, but as the other gentleman said, it really fits the newer crossover market more than it did 10+ years ago. Some guy swapped a 3800 into one too, just like us fiero folks.... I looked, but honestly I didn't find a vehicle I liked better that fit the price-point, had all wheel drive, and the mount of space I wanted.

Yeah, I am thinking about replacing our old Aztek with one from down south. The thing is a great utility vehicle (4x8 sheets of whatever, in the back!). I will just budget for the gasket and tranny repairs. Our '01 is starting to rust, sadly. Newer crossovers are too small to haul anything and trucks are too expensive.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by carbon:

I like it when the AWD Disabled light is on all the time...

My is the service engine soon (I only have FWD).... it is a stupid evap issue and I won't fix it, so I just reset the light.
RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keeping the Aztek theme alive, I can say I've had 2 and really enjoy it's versatility. I like the way it looks (as long as all that plastic is black) and drives. I would really like to put a 3800SC in it, but that's a pipe dream.

Wheel to Wheel did a proto-type for GM that was dropped, had custom gfx and an LS motor. I saw it on the road a couple times. Totally badass.

Now I have a request... If anyone does go after the needles (or already has), I need a part to fix mine. I'm looking for the motor that drives the temp gauge. Mine is all boogered up and hasn't worked since I bought it. If anyone has a spare board, let me know.

thanx,

Bob

------------------

Cygnus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CygnusSend a Private Message to CygnusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I liked driving the one my folks have. Never thought anything amiss, especially since the back can be a tent! That means if things get too bad I can leave the riverside, set up my car, and have some climate control. The tailgate party was awesome, I even got some shade, with the back hatch. It's really easy to haul stuff...and have it be dry when you arrive. Just one thing...does anyone else think the general shape looks like a giant Prius? Many people seem ok with the Prius, but the Aztek gets no love? Then again, I thought the Montana was a great vehicle too. I used to haul a DJ business light bars and all in that thing. Just my .02.

[This message has been edited by Cygnus (edited 12-12-2013).]

smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, I am thinking about replacing our old Aztek with one from down south. The thing is a great utility vehicle (4x8 sheets of whatever, in the back!). I will just budget for the gasket and tranny repairs. Our '01 is starting to rust, sadly. Newer crossovers are too small to haul anything and trucks are too expensive.

That's exactly why I did it. Yeah, my 03 was starting to rust more than I liked also and I figured why sink money into a rusting car.. Since mine was kept up well, and still looks and runs OK, I figured I'd sell it, and (hopefully) break semi-even with the cost of the Southern one. Hopefully that gets me 10 more years..
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2013 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

I got supporting evidence for my theory that the Aztek looks better now than it did back in the day. Cruising down the road with my 15 year old son I point out an Aztek, and he's like, "Pontiac Aztek, how come I've never heard of it?" and I say because they stopped making it when he was just a baby. And that some people found it unattractive. He said it doesn't look old at all and better looking than most modern SUVs.

In general I think the millennial's ideas on styling are way different than the baby boomers, no doubt. That's why I find the new mustang disappointing. They didn't go far enough in my opinion. Still too retro, and I thought Ford realized that everyone that wanted a retro Mustang has bought one, (or two) by now.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 12-13-2013).]

smartaxel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I got supporting evidence for my theory that the Aztek looks better now than it did back in the day. Cruising down the road with my 15 year old son I point out an Aztek, and he's like, "Pontiac Aztek, how come I've never heard of it?" and I say because they stopped making it when he was just a baby. And that some people found it unattractive. He said it doesn't look old at all and better looking than most modern SUVs.

In general I think the millennial's ideas on styling are way different than the baby boomers, no doubt. That's why I find the new mustang disappointing. They didn't go far enough in my opinion. Still too retro, and I thought Ford realized that everyone that wanted a retro Mustang has bought one, (or two) by now.

I tend to agree. It was ahead of its time as far as "ugly" goes. Now, it fits the profile (although more angular) of many of the "SUV" type vehicles out there. I am not too fond of the new Mustang either. I kinda looks like a bad rebody kit..
RCR

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Now I have a request... If anyone does go after the needles (or already has), I need a part to fix mine. I'm looking for the motor that drives the temp gauge. Mine is all boogered up and hasn't worked since I bought it. If anyone has a spare board, let me know.

FWIW, I found the stepper on ebay for 8$.

Bob
Cokeologist

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnlp1994:

hi im wondering i have a couple sets of aztec needles that i was going to put in my truck but i ended up getting rid of it and im wondering if they would work in the fiero?

Curious as to whether anything ever came of this...
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2014 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Aztek is not ugly. Juke is just plain UGLY.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All this talk makes me want an Aztek for the "Family Truckster"
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still wanna see an answer to the year old question of the needles will work on the Fiero's gauges
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2014 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

Aztek is not ugly. Juke is just plain UGLY.

When they look like this they don't

Cokeologist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnlp1994:

OK I decided to take this on

Step 1: Obtained Aztek needles

The Aztek speedo needle is way too long for the Fiero speedo or tach. The Aztek tach needle is also too long. The only Aztek needles that will fit the Fiero speedo and tach are the Aztek fuel and temp needles, which are a bit shorter than the Fiero speedo and tach needles but are OK. The Aztek fuel / temp needles will not fit the Fiero fuel or temp gauges (at least in my 85 pod), but may fit the oil pressure gauge.

Before I start taking apart the instrument panel, can someone eyeball the pic of the Aztek fuel / temp needle below and let me know if it looks like the shaft on the Aztek needle might fit the speedo / tach needle shafts on the Fiero cluster? I have never had a Fiero instrument cluster apart so I don't know what the shaft looks like, and before I start it would be helpful to know if someone can advise. Thanks in advance.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the shaft of the needles from the aztec will not work with a fiero different pin on the fiero gauges.
PFF
System Bot
fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is what the Fiero needles look like from the back.

Cokeologist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2014 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CokeologistSend a Private Message to CokeologistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogtlt1:

Here is what the Fiero needles look like from the back.

Any way to get a bigger pic to be able to actually see the shafts?

fierogtlt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2014 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cokeologist:

Any way to get a bigger pic to be able to actually see the shafts?

Here Ya Go....Arrow to the right ------->

[URL=http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/fierogtlt1/media/10177362_1488615084685138_3641847171010121625_n_zpsb97621a7.jpg.html][/URL ]

[This message has been edited by fierogtlt1 (edited 12-01-2014).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2014 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a close-up I just took.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock