Flat bootom steering wheel by fiero2man
Started on: 11-20-2013 09:59 PM
Replies: 11 (856 views)
Last post by: mrfred8 on 11-22-2013 03:18 PM
fiero2man

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-20-2013 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero2manSend a Private Message to fiero2manEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm 6'4..could use some extra leg room. Has anyone ever installed a flat bottomed steering wheel ?...is it a problem with the adjustable stock Fiero steering wheel?.. I saw a SPARCO model..but man, they are too expensive. Got any ideas???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use a Momo in mine that was pretty pricey but there are many other brands for around $50-$80 that have a "D" shape.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try an NRG steering wheel. Great quality at a fraction of the Sparco price:

Mine is flat bottom.
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2013 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Try an NRG steering wheel. Great quality at a fraction of the Sparco price:

Mine is flat bottom.

I went and bought the same one after drooling over yours and I gotta say, it's been one of the best mods I've done to my car. Fiero2man, you won't regret it! I've had mine for about 2 years and not a single complaint. Just know that you need the thin/slim/low-pro (or whatever NRG calls it exactly) hub adapter if you want it to be the stock distance away from you.

------------------

My turbo build

pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gota check your state laws.. PA inspection faild my 1st car for one of these as your steering wheel needs to be at least 12" for a full 360*
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about a Kit style steering wheel? as most states now allow us to not have to have them inspected if you register them as antiques.
I found one on eBay, while not cheap it would solve your problem with room.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KNI...em43a7bbade4&vxp=mtr

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 11-21-2013).]

johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found a nice Pilot flat bottom wheel a while back at Auto Zone for $60.00. I liked it because it had two red horn buttons by the thumb grips rather than one horn mounted in the center of the wheel.
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2013 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Steering wheels are just a round steel rod coated with some kind of plastic so I don't see why you couldn't just bend it, the bottom anyway to the D shape you wanted in the first place, if you cracked the plastic coating just wrap it in leather. I would take it off the column before trying to do something like that though or you might damage the column.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 11-21-2013).]

DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:
Steve

YIKES! I think you'd have a serious problem in a parking lot or pulling into any tight space with one of these in a Fiero.
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ConvictedRedneck:
I went and bought the same one after drooling over yours and I gotta say, it's been one of the best mods I've done to my car. Fiero2man, you won't regret it! I've had mine for about 2 years and not a single complaint. Just know that you need the thin/slim/low-pro (or whatever NRG calls it exactly) hub adapter if you want it to be the stock distance away from you.

Thanks! Glad I could make a good recommendation!
DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure johnyrottin took this wheel out of the GBCT when he got it. It might be for sale, but the color wouldn't match most interiors.

The wheels were turned in the pic... The flat part was at the bottom when going straight. So endless you only drive in a straight line you will still have the round part of the wheel hit your legs when you turn.

[This message has been edited by DL10 (edited 11-22-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2013 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Flat bottomed steering wheels you make the rocking world go round.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock