Weekend wrestling match. by MeadmakerDave
Started on: 11-10-2013 09:07 PM
Replies: 2 (167 views)
Last post by: MeadmakerDave on 11-11-2013 06:50 AM
MeadmakerDave

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2013 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MeadmakerDaveSend a Private Message to MeadmakerDaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked up a nice 84 SE a few months back. The good news is that it was lstored for the past 12 years. The bad news is that the PO was not much of a mechanic. Fortunately I am mostly enjoying the process of returning this 2M4 to its glory days. This weekend was not one of those "fun" weekends. What started out as a weekend to replace the rear brake calipers and right rear axle turned into a frustrating weekend wrestling match. This little gem doesn't look like most 30 year old Michigan cars. There isn't much rust, just normal wear and tear for 120,000 miles. Everything was coming apart remarkably well until the dead axle fell apart in my hands, leaving the trilobe stuck in the transmission. Nothing we tried would budge it on Saturday. None of the tricks we found here and other places online made it budge even a little. Today with a fresh start, and a combination tactic of slide hammer axle puller and pry bar popped it right out. We learned that some new ball joints are in order. So with the rear end all pulled apart, is there anything important I should replace, or issues to look for while I'm digging around under there?

The important thing is that now that I'm beyond that hiccup, we're back to having fun again.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2013 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might be a good idea to go ahead and get an axle seal. The prying, beating, pulling, couldn't have been good for it.
MeadmakerDave

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2013 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MeadmakerDaveSend a Private Message to MeadmakerDaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I thought so as well. I forgot to mention that I did buy one.

I was less than thrilled to discover that the auto parts store gave me the wrong axle. So that will slow me down by a day or two anyway.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock