headlight switch help by heavyRfoot
Started on: 11-09-2013 06:17 PM
Replies: 3 (116 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 11-10-2013 10:05 AM
heavyRfoot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heavyRfootSend a Private Message to heavyRfootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I got a question. So a few months ago I picked up an 87 gt from a member. Car runs great and all no complaints but I have replaced the headlight switch now would be the second time within three months. It has th chris munson headlights plus fog lights running throught the standard switch. Just woundering if that is to much current through that one switch and that's what keeps burning out the switch. My switch will accualy smoke and get hot. If that is the problem would running a second toggle switch and may wire for the fogs cut the current down to keep it from burning up my switches or worse
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The best way to wire fog lights is not directly through a switch. If you want the fog lights on the same time as the head lights, use the system that Hella sets up. They run FUSED battery power to a relay. Recondmend running that from the fusible link terminal near the battery. Fog lights to the switched contact of the relay. Them either use a switch to ground the coil of the relay, with the other side of the coil connected to key power. Or one side of the relay coil to ground and the other side to the head light switch. The only load on the headlight switch will be for the relay coil.
I kind of like the first way. When key power is off the relay shuts down by itself. Most Hella kits include a relay.
If you do insist on a toggle to control/feed the lights, make sure it can handle at least 20 amps. Seen too many of the cheap plastic toggles get melted.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-09-2013 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Likely yes.
Check dimmer switch on the column too. likely both are burned.
Check C100 for same reason.

You likely need relays.
Example See my Cave, Headlights

Fog lights see https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/127667.html#p6

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-09-2013).]

84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2013 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ayup, why else would you think it is getting hot? even cars made from the factory have a separate switch for the fog lights, at least my 86 Astro van and IROC both did. the switch is rated for so much juice running through them, when you start adding high intensity bulbs to a switch made for say 10Watts of juice flow and add another light to that same switch that adds another 10 watts of juice flow it may not last very long.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock