Started on: 10-31-2013 02:32 PM
Replies: 6 (1180 views)
Last post by: Kitskaboodle on 11-01-2013 09:30 AM
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have all seen the threads asking "What should I look for when buying a Fiero?" What would you guys think of making a walk around guide to inspecting a Fiero for potential purchase. Maybe we can get a comprehensive one together and have Cliff post it in a special section? I am more than happy to do the consolidation work in this thread...so go on! Start the barrage of things to inspect and how to inspect them! here are the categories I came up with...

1. Find a Fiero for sale and check CarFax
2. Inspect trunk first. Pull up the carpet on the right and left side and look for rust. Rust in these areas should lead to a more detailed inspection of the rear frame rails.

Now your thorough inspection can begin. To be organized start (and end) with the drivers side door.

3. Drivers Side Door Area
a.
b.

4. Drivers Side Quarter Panel Area
a.
b.

5. Drivers Side Rear Wheel
a.
b.

6. Rear Bumper & Deck Lid (also Spoiler)
a. check blinker function L and R
b.

7. Engine
a.
b.

8. Trunk
a.
b.

9. Passenger Side Rear Wheel
a.
b.

10. Passenger Side Quarter Panel Area
a.
b.

11. Passenger Side Door
a.
b.

12. Passenger Side Front Fender
a. Check function of blinker
b.

13. Passenger Side Front Wheel
a.
b.

14. Hood and Nose
a. Check function of blinkers, L & R
b.

15. Front Under Hood Area
a. Inspect Clutch Reservior area. Look for paint peeling away as an indication of leaks;
b. Check for Spare tire and jack
c. Check for cracks and fluid in the washer bottle and radiator overflow bottle. Not the color of the radiator fluid in the overflow.

16. Drivers Side Front Fender
a. Check function of blinker
b.

17. Drivers Side Front Wheel
a.
b.

18. Undercarriage
a.
b.

19. Drivers Side Interior
a. Turn accessories on and test radio, wipers
b. move steering wheel up, down, left, and right checking for steering column security
c. Check headliner for water discolorations indicating possible roof leaks
d. Check seat recline/incline function along with condition of covers
e. Check seat covers for rips tears stains

20. Dash and Console
a. Check Dash Lights and gauge test functions
b. Check condition of bezels
c. check center console glove door for vinyl separation and latch function
d. Check function of accessories plug/cigarette lighter
e. Check function of mirror switch in all 4 axis on L & R mirror
f. Check function of L & R window both up & down
g. Check mileage correlation with CarFax. If suspect look at pedal wear as an indicator.

21. Passenger Side Interior
a. Check headliner for water discolorations indicating possible roof leaks
b. Check seat recline/incline function along with condition of covers
c. Check seat covers for rips tears stains

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 11-01-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2. Dont give all the secrets away - all the good fieros left will be bought and the junk will remain.

Sorry - feeling selfish today...

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2013 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Simple buy the lowest mile example in top condition you can. Generally it will save you a lot of money and time fixing it up. Like most cars today you will have more restoring vs. buying a clean example.

There is always someone unloading a 35,000 Fiero somewhere for a reasonable price.

If it has high miles or rust walk away if you want it to be pristine someday.
johnyrottin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More of what I was looking for here was "in the trunk pull up the right and left side of the carpet and check for rust."
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 06:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

More of what I was looking for here was "in the trunk pull up the right and left side of the carpet and check for rust."

Anymore you need to get under the car too. Too many have the rear part of the space frame gone too when people just see the trunk and think that is all they have to fix.

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Anymore you need to get under the car too. Too many have the rear part of the space frame gone too when people just see the trunk and think that is all they have to fix.

For many years now, I've been using the "in the trunk pull up the right and left side of the carpet and check for rust." as my first inspection action on any Fiero.

But what that method means to me is that if you find any rust in the trunk inspection than you need to really make a close inspection of the outside of the upper rear frame rail next. Just to see if it's still there.

What I tell people is that the trunk inspection is the 1st thing to do because that area is the 1st place rust starts.

I have some pictures of what this inspection can alert you to.

I'll find them & post later today.

Archie
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2013 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check Carfax
If mileage/odometer is suspect, check brake & clutch pedal pads.
Interior condition is usually a reflection of how car was or wasn't taken care of.
Put car on lift (if possible) and pull/wiggle EVERYTHING.
Lastly, if you see a Fiero ad that says, "needs TLC", dont bother going to see it unless you want a Fiero that is VERY rough.

Kit

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock