Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Where can I get this Fiero bra? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Where can I get this Fiero bra? by 2.5
Started on: 10-16-2013 01:28 PM
Replies: 40 (994 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 10-22-2013 04:28 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I need one for a Formula.
There was a guy advertising these at the30th, his wife made them. I took his email and sent him a request to make one but got no reply.
Still looking.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not trying to be a jerk here (honest!), but I can't understand why anyone would put a bra on a Fiero. IMO they are so ugly.

Is it just to protect the paint, or is it to hide a front end that's already been marked up?
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the Capitol City Fiero Club website. Search the left side for info. on mods and assesories. That type bra works well with minimal or no scratching, installs/removes easily, looks good and will catch some bugs.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 10-16-2013).]

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'm not trying to be a jerk here (honest!), but I can't understand why anyone would put a bra on a Fiero.

I would use one, certainly, if I did a lot of highway driving with my Fiero.

My daily-driver non-Fiero gets sandblasted from highway driving, particularly in the winter.

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Am I missing something, or is their no air intake for the radiator?
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The easiest thing is to just get a Corvette one as it will stretch and cover it like it was made for it. There were several members of the Cleveland Fiero's that have been using them for a while. George even drilled out the snaps and put the fender well screws in side of them so there were no permanent holes in the car.

I think they are using 5th gen bra's and you can get them from Mid America or any other Corvette supply place. You can even choose colors.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

6000 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by LT188GT:

They are fine mesh like and the air flows trough. No hole needed.
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hard to tell from the pic but the whole thing is a stretchy mesh fabric. I'm sure air passes right thru
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm not trying to be a jerk here (honest!), but I can't understand why anyone would put a bra on a Fiero. IMO they are so ugly.

Is it just to protect the paint, or is it to hide a front end that's already been marked up?

The fact is some people know the proper use and some do not.

Bra's were made for trips where you put it on travel and then take it off once you get where you are going. They were made for trips and limited use.

Some folks think it is a accessory trim option as too many took them to be status symbols in the 80's. The fact is if you leave them on too long they often will create more damage than save you. Fogging of paint. fading of paint and scratches if sand gets under the cover can damage it.

This one here is like a spandex and it stretches well and keeps the bugs off on a long run or a trip to a car show. It save damage time and work on a long haul. Now for around town they are not needed or if they are very limited use. It is a tool if used properly is a help but if misused it can create more issue. The Mesh like material here lets water dry out fast so it helps prevent paint damage.

Many people who leave them on have to keep them on as the paint on some cars have gone to hell because they did not use the bra correctly. Or they crashed the nose and leave it on to hide things.

When I judge car shows I give people the option of keeping on and taking a hit in points on paint or taking it off and getting a full assessment of points. Many decline as they are hiding damage. It is not fair to those with good paint to let them hide theirs.

It is not a matter of being a jerk just a matter of fully understanding what they are for and how to properly use them as too many fail on both counts and pay for it in paint damage.
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Some folks think it is a accessory trim option as too many took them to be status symbols in the 80's. The fact is if you leave them on too long they often will create more damage than save you. Fogging of paint. fading of paint and scratches if sand gets under the cover can damage it.

Or worse damage than simply paint damage. The previous owner of the Neon I purchased had a bra on it. Here they use salt on the roads in the winter to melt the snow/ice. Well that salt spray will do more then just mar the paint. The whole leading edge of the hood was nothing but bubbled paint from rust. I stripped it all down and cleaned all the rust up so I could repair it with bondo as the hood was straight other than the rust. Still that's damage that could have been avoided if they wouldn't have used one of those damn things. I never have liked them.

Of course... you really don't have to worry about it resting the Fieros body panels...

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-16-2013).]

jazz4cash

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jazz4cashSend a Private Message to jazz4cashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kevin87FieroGT:

Check the Capitol City Fiero Club website. Search the left side for info. on mods and assesories. That type bra works well with minimal or no scratching, installs/removes easily, looks good and will catch some bugs.

I want one but I dont see the link on the Capitol dity Fiero Club home page. Link?
PFF
System Bot
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 01:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

In my case it's to hide the spider cracks that are so common on our cars. This is due to the softness of the nose vs. the inflexibility of the paint. Kit

[This message has been edited by Kitskaboodle (edited 10-17-2013).]

Steel

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SteelSend a Private Message to SteelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The air that passes through the radiator mostly comes from underneath the car.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Protect the paint on long trips to Fiero shows

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by jazz4cash:

I want one but I dont see the link on the Capitol dity Fiero Club home page. Link?

If its this site I can't find a link or info either.
http://www.capitolcityfiero...pitolCityFieros.html

Looks like this site has it
http://capitolcityfieros.homestead.com/
Under "Fiero upgrades"
http://www.capitolcityfiero.../Fiero-Upgrades.html

I'll try emailing them and see what response I get.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-17-2013).]

johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This might be an option for you if you want to maintain the beautiful looks of the slope nose but still have paint protection:

3M Scotchgardâ„¢ Paint Protection Film
http://solutions.3m.com/wps...int_Protection/Film/

Llumar Paint Protection Film
http://www.llumar.com/en/AutoPaintProtection.aspx

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 10-17-2013).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mines a Formula, but yeah I hear the clear bra is good stuff, just expensive and hard to remove, maybe most people wouldnt notice it but I see the little seams too.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Mines a Formula, but yeah I hear the clear bra is good stuff, just expensive and hard to remove, maybe most people wouldnt notice it but I see the little seams too.

Better than stone chips

Of course, the worse chip I had on my Fiero was on the door, as a large stone flew up from the opposite lane and hit my door as I as driving. Put a nice chip in the paint... sigh. How can you protect from that

Asphalt Risin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Asphalt RisinSend a Private Message to Asphalt RisinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm actually more curious about turn signal visibility.

------------------

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Asphalt Risin:

I'm actually more curious about turn signal visibility.

In day light it will cut down much on visibility at night you should still see a flash. To be honest it is not fully legal but generally few cops will say anything.

It is very thin and light will show through to a degree.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

6000 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

This might be an option for you if you want to maintain the beautiful looks of the slope nose but still have paint protection:

3M Scotchgardâ„¢ Paint Protection Film
http://solutions.3m.com/wps...int_Protection/Film/

Llumar Paint Protection Film
http://www.llumar.com/en/AutoPaintProtection.aspx

The clear film is great but here is the issue I do not know of a Fiero kit available. Installing it may be difficult for even a pro with no kits available.

I have installed several on other cars and it is not really hard with a little practice and knowing a few tricks with the pre cut kits. Taking it off is not an issue it takes a little effort but is easier than sanding and prepping paint. It has saved the paint on my Chevy and the headlamps on my GMC,

PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2013 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steel:

The air that passes through the radiator mostly comes from underneath the car.

The only bottom breather is the GT/Aero nose.
The bumperpad and the coupe/Formula both breathe thru the front fascia.

The Spandex bra works well on the aero nose, but will cause airflow issues on the bumperpad/coupe/Formula nose design, with varying degrees of cooling issues.
Ayrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2013 04:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AyrowClick Here to visit Ayrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to AyrowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ugly.

Meant for girls, not cars.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2013 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ayrow:

Ugly.

Meant for girls, not cars.

Again not meant for looks or as a part of styling they are just for protection.

They should have called them car condoms.

Ayrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2013 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AyrowClick Here to visit Ayrow's HomePageSend a Private Message to AyrowEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Again not meant for looks or as a part of styling they are just for protection.

They should have called them car condoms.

To each his own, but I put these bras on the same level as that plastic covering crap that people used to put on their couches in the 70's.
Sure, it might protect it, but you ruin the looks, comfort, and overall experience by slapping something over it.

My 87 has never had anything on the front but a bunch of coats of wax. It still has the original paint and looks beautiful

Like I said, to each his own, but I think they look ridiculous.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2013 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The only bottom breather is the GT/Aero nose.
The bumperpad and the coupe/Formula both breathe thru the front fascia.

The Spandex bra works well on the aero nose, but will cause airflow issues on the bumperpad/coupe/Formula nose design, with varying degrees of cooling issues.

This has been tested?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2013 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007
Are you saying in the image below the Aero nose gets all its needed air from the RED arrow area? i havent had an Aeronose and havent actually looked under one.

I know My Formula has a panel (shown in PURPLE) that fills in that area. All the Formula's air comes in the red arrow area. Though the bumper is tucked in there as well.

The way I see this could be an issue is the mesh would be at an angle on teh formula due to the air inlet being tucked back farther than the tip of the bumper, and most air could be passed under the car instead of through the mesh.

A fix woudl be to cut a section out of the mesh and make an opening with a stitched edge, also could be done for the parking lights.

-
Or only have the mesh cover the front top of the bumper skin, leaving the whole air inlet area exposed, like below:

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-18-2013).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2013 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007

My 87 has never had anything on the front but a bunch of coats of wax. It still has the original paint and looks beautiful

My paint is 2 years old and I can see scars.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This has been tested?

Yes.

I have Fieros of all nose designs.
My late wife made these Spandex nose covers.
They caused the Formulas and bumperpads to run warm, no effect on the aero nose cars.
The only bottom breathers are the aero nose cars, bumperpads and coupe /formula breathe through the front opening.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

18026 posts
Member since May 2004

Are you saying in the image below the Aero nose gets all its needed air from the RED arrow area? i havent had an Aeronose and havent actually looked under one.

I know My Formula has a panel (shown in PURPLE) that fills in that area. All the Formula's air comes in the red arrow area. Though the bumper is tucked in there as well.

The way I see this could be an issue is the mesh would be at an angle on teh formula due to the air inlet being tucked back farther than the tip of the bumper, and most air could be passed under the car instead of through the mesh.

A fix woudl be to cut a section out of the mesh and make an opening with a stitched edge, also could be done for the parking lights.

-
Or only have the mesh cover the front top of the bumper skin, leaving the whole air inlet area exposed, like below:

My son runs his cover on his formula by hooking the spandex above his driving lights to open up the air inlet.

The BLUE area in your top picture of the aero nose is mostly blocked by the steel bumper. Very little air enters there. The air is forced thru the radiator from under the car due to the air dam under the core support.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 10-19-2013).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To each his own, but I put these bras on the same level as that plastic covering crap that people used to put on their couches in the 70's.
Sure, it might protect it, but you ruin the looks, comfort, and overall experience by slapping something over it.

Like I said, to each his own, but I think they look ridiculous.

Again it is not for looks it is to get you from Cleveland to Chicago with no bug or stone damage and then you take it off. The clear bra If properly installed is nearly invisible. It is very common on many exotic cars that you have seen and you never even notice it there if properly installed.

Wax holds no protection from rocks.

The bra is a tool to protect a car on a long journey for a short time it is not a styling accessory.

PFF
System Bot
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Again it is not for looks it is to get you from Cleveland to Chicago with no bug or stone damage and then you take it off.

I agree; if I had to take my Fiero on that drive, I'd go out and buy a bra beforehand. I don't care if its ugly.

Some states (Michigan I think?) use sand on the highways in the winter. Some places use cinders. That stuff doesn't just wash away like salt does; it remains on the road for months. I've come home from wintertime trips and found sand all over everywhere; in the grille, under the hood, amongst the suspension, etc. Its my "regular" car so I don't care, but it shows what could happen.

FieroGeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2013 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGeorgeSend a Private Message to FieroGeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I Got mine from www.c5creations. It is the same one used on the c4 corvette, the price is129.00 I use the same bra on my 85 GT and 87GT. AS Scott and other members have stated it is used to protect your car frop point A to B. Once your are there take it off. I use mine to and from car shows. Very easy to take on and off. I have never had a issue with overheating as it is made of mesh and air flows thru with no problem. Hope this helps out. Don't think I even have a pic of it on my car as I pull it off as soon as I get to my destination.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGeorge:

I Got mine from www.c5creations. It is the same one used on the c4 corvette, the price is129.00 I use the same bra on my 85 GT and 87GT. AS Scott and other members have stated it is used to protect your car frop point A to B. Once your are there take it off. I use mine to and from car shows. Very easy to take on and off. I have never had a issue with overheating as it is made of mesh and air flows thru with no problem. Hope this helps out. Don't think I even have a pic of it on my car as I pull it off as soon as I get to my destination.

The bra design is absolutely great for the GT/aero front end. Everything you said about installation ease and protection is spot on.

As no air passes thru the opening on the front of your GT, however, the bra will not affect the cooling of your car.
92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The PO of my car put one of those "clear bra" deals on mine .....it is ok... but yeah....it is totally visible at about 5 feet or so

92wastheyear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2013 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 92wastheyearSend a Private Message to 92wastheyearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

92wastheyear

418 posts
Member since Jun 2013
Mark me down as hating the regular bra too....and if I ever start to relent, all I have to do is walk thru the parking lot at work. There is a Ford Focus with a bra in the parking lot.....it has been on the car so long that there is big tufts of moss growing out of the trailing edge of the bra
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some tips for you.

vinyl bras should only be used for temporary use on road trips. Paint underneath will discolor if you leave them on wet. I have also fixed many Corvettes where the edges vibrated and actually sawed thru the fiberglass edges.

The stretchy cloth/spandex ones are great. Lightweight, conform to contours and simple to put on and off. C4 Corvette stretch ones fit Fieros. I dont know about other body styles. Also dont leave them on full time, but they are better if you do because they dry out much faster than the lined ones.

3M now makes a clear, similar to the rubber Plastic-Dip. You just mask it like your painting it, spray can it on. Its durable and comes back off easily if you want to remove it. You can also use Clear Plastic-Dip, thats also removable. It costs less than $10 to do the front. Both can let the paint fade at different rate than rest of car, but it wont damage it like a vinyl one. The guy next door Plastic-Dips a lot of cars, even all over clear. Its really awesome for saving your wheels from winter...you can even still use a car wash. He sprays it on a lot of chrome wheels for winter and it stays very well even on them.

Personnally, I dont like any bra unless you live on a gravel road or taking a long vacation trip like from Ohio to Florida.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2013 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGeorge:

We checked George's on my coupe with the custom air dam on it and they will also work on these. There is a lot of give to the material and they adapt well.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think the spandex ones could have openings cut in them and folded over and stitched? For example to open an area for air flow to the Formula radiator?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2013 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont know if id be cutting into the spandex ones.....very stretchy material can really fall apart when you do it. If you did try, you would have to stitch it with a stretch stitch and thread. I wouldnt do it...air will go thru it pretty easily. I use socks for 1st stage air filters on my compressor and have for years with no problems. Makes the regular filters last a LOT longer. Ive seen people put cutt off socks over their cone style air filters the same way.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock