oil sending units by jon m
Started on: 10-14-2013 12:27 PM
Replies: 13 (588 views)
Last post by: theogre on 10-16-2013 06:36 PM
jon m

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi - a few back I posted about my oil pressure gauge dancing about and I was told that it was my sending unit that was to blame.
so I looked at the price of one for my 87 gt and it was nearly double the price of an 88 and I was told that an 88 would fit my 87 as long as I change the connector.

now my question - I dont want to cut my original wires and splice in a 88 connector - but does any make a plug adapter that will fit my 87 wires and at the other end fit the 88 sending unit or is it easy enough to make one ??

I have pm a forum member on here - who I thought would be able to do this but he hasnt got back to me?

any opinions welcomed.
jon
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are concerned about cutting a wire, wouldn't you rather get the one proper for your year car?
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Jon,

I too had the dancing oil pressure gauge and I too replaced it with an '88 OPSU. I thought I followed Orgre's instructions to the letter but I could never get the darn thing to read correctly. After swapping my tired '87 2.8L (91K miles) for a new '88 2.8L (14K miles) I again attempted to correct the oil pressure gauge issue. I tested the gauge both at the gauge itself as well at the connection were the sending unit connects and both read correctly. Once wired I was back to square one as the needle never goes above Zero psi although bypassing the send and directly connecting an external gauge shows 65 psi cold and 45-55 psi warm. I am hoping someone can shed so light on this.

How you are well my friend

Will

------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My Gen IV replacement GT trunk seals with miter double bonded corners are now in production. $95 + $15 flat rate shipping to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) or buy two and pay only a single shipping rate! More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

If you are concerned about cutting a wire, wouldn't you rather get the one proper for your year car?

I was told the 88 would work just aswell as the 87 version - however the 88 is approx $36 and the 87 is $68 - not that i am tight fisted but if it only takes a simple mod - the $ saved can be spent on ther parts

without getting off topic why was the sender changed ? generally I would of thought that a better design/operation of the unit was found.

jon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jon m:

I was told the 88 would work just aswell as the 87 version - however the 88 is approx $36 and the 87 is $68 - not that i am tight fisted but if it only takes a simple mod - the $ saved can be spent on ther parts

without getting off topic why was the sender changed ? generally I would of thought that a better design/operation of the unit was found.

jon

Could be, I am basically saying just cut the wires
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks 2.5 - however I am just seeing if there was a neat adapter availble.

will - I am good thank you - hope you are well.

jon
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jon M, I have been searching all of the stateside sources I can find for a source for a connector that will plug into the OEM harness end. I do have 2 of the correct harness ends to do the job, but I just can't find where they came from. They weren't originally intended for use on a Fiero but they are currently serving a vital function elsewhere in the car.

Just this morning, I converted to the 88 style oil pressure sending unit. My temporary solution, until I can find a source of the correct terminal, was to use small spade terminals crimped and soldered onto the pigtails of the 88 harness end. Then I inserted them into the female receptacles inside the stock 87 harness.

You can get the correct 88 harness with pigtails from RockAuto. It's Airtex Part # 1P1053. It's also used in other GM vehicles, including the Beretta, Cavalier, the 95-98 Blazer and some FWD Chevrolets. https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm unsure of the fix, but I had my 87 GT's oil pressure unit switched to the 88 style, but I took the "easy way out" and had the Fiero mechanic do the job. He did not have any problem and the oil pressure gauge read 50 psi or so. I had been replacing the 87 style sending unit every few years and when the gauge started acting up, I had an 88 style on in my spare parts collection and Robert said it would work.
FieroGT42

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT42Send a Private Message to FieroGT42Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recommend the 88 sensor retrofit. I did it and it was very easy. It's smaller, more accurate, and much more reliable. Cut the wires!
jon m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2013 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jon mSend a Private Message to jon mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGT42:

I recommend the 88 sensor retrofit. I did it and it was very easy. It's smaller, more accurate, and much more reliable. Cut the wires!

this is what I am planning on doing - I just wanted to know if there was a pigtail availble so I did not have to cut the wires and keep everything neat and tidy

jon
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2013 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jon m:

now my question - I dont want to cut my original wires and splice in a 88 connector - but does any make a plug adapter that will fit my 87 wires and at the other end fit the 88 sending unit or is it easy enough to make one ??

jon

You can make your own plug adapter. Just get the 88-type plug and put spade connectors on the ends of the wires. Plug the spade connectors into your old 85-87 connector. Job done, and no splicing needed. (Thanks to Fierofool for this suggestion.)
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The spade connector trick should work, although the connectors will be exposed to the elements. Some dialectric grease should help with that. Or maybe you could get all high-tech and fill the plug with silicone after you plug in the spade terminals.

When I did the '88 sender swap, I decided to splice the wires, because I didn't want that fat ugly plug sitting there (and laughing at me... I swear it was laughing at me). But I guess you can count that as a pet peeve.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 10-16-2013).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I plan on getting a piece of larger diameter split wire loom tubing and sliding over the sending unit and the wiring. That would contain it from the elements and maybe dress up the bay a bit.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2013 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Save OE plug? Why bother?
OE plug itself can be the problem... Bad terminal(s) and oil hard plastic...

Think Dash gauge problem is bad?
Add Resistance anywhere in fuel pump circuit can kill the pump.
See my Cave, Electric Motors

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock