1988 Coupe, what's it worth? by 87FieroSport
Started on: 10-09-2013 09:26 AM
Replies: 9 (372 views)
Last post by: DLCLK87GT on 10-10-2013 11:10 AM
87FieroSport

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1988 Coupe
2.5l 5 speed.
150 miles on the clock.

Needs:
Headliner
Seats (ripped)
Shifter trim warped
Leaks oil at the pan (fixed twice, still does)
Dipstick tube broken

Can anyone tell me what it may be worth?
Seller wants $1000 OBO.

I can email pics to someone to post.

Also, can anyone tell me about the engine and Trans setup? Mpg? Reliability?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't mention rust. That is a major factor.
87FieroSport

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rust-free to my knowledge.
jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That price is probably about right, but can't say for sure unless I saw it. The 2.5, Iron Duke as it's called, mated to the 5 speed Isuzu tranny, will return somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-35 mpg, depending on driving habits, YMMV. The Duke is a dependable engine, with little power. It's an economy engine with no power gains to be had. Likes to leak around the valve cover, but all in all a good motor. I had one for about 170,000 if I remember correctly.

Jim
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be cautious if it only has 150 miles and has rips in the seats and a bunch of wear/leaks. It should only need rubber materials replacement, fluids changed, lubrication and a fresh battery.

[This message has been edited by johnyrottin (edited 10-09-2013).]

jimbolaya

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbolayaSend a Private Message to jimbolayaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by johnyrottin:

I would be cautious if it only has 150 miles and has rips in the seats and a bunch of wear/leaks. It should only need rubber materials replacement, fluids changed, lubrication and a fresh battery.

LOL, I'm assuming he meant 150,000, but who knows.

Jim

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87FieroSport:

1988 Coupe
2.5l 5 speed.
150 miles on the clock.

Needs:
Headliner
Seats (ripped)
Shifter trim warped
Leaks oil at the pan (fixed twice, still does)
Dipstick tube broken

Can anyone tell me what it may be worth?
Seller wants $1000 OBO.

I can email pics to someone to post.

Also, can anyone tell me about the engine and Trans setup? Mpg? Reliability?

A little over 30 mpg. Maybe as high as 35 on the interstate. That transmission is good for gas mileage. High 20's around town.

The '88 2.5Ls were pretty reliable. However, expect to replace the ECU if it hasn't been replaced already. The refurbished ones are fine. The boards just need to be stripped of their conformal coating, reflowed, then recoated. The problem is the conformal coating shrinks over time and stresses the board, breaking some solder joints. It will manifest itself as totally random problems.

The price sounds reasonable to me if the car was taken care of well besides the issues you mentioned. It also sounds like a great candidate for an engine swap.

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The presence of accessories, and whether they work, will also affect the value (AC, power windows and locks, sunroof).
I get up to 37 MPG in my 88 duke t-top, and low 20's the way I drive it in town (foot on the floor out of stop lights).
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought one similar to this for my wife. It only had 65K miles and the interior was in great shape, no rust at all, but the engine had a problem and we found it to be bent pushrods. We paid $1500 for it and felt good about getting it for that price. Oh and it has the T-tops too. So I would consider it a good price if there is no or little rust.
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Way too much! I just got one; 88 2.5 AT, AC with 21516 miles for $500 I got it knowing the fuel pump was dead, but then found out it's the tank that's trash and is probably what killed the pump.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/092781.html

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock