my sub install keeping some leg room by tripingeorge
Started on: 10-08-2013 06:55 PM
Replies: 20 (620 views)
Last post by: dobey on 10-12-2013 11:16 PM
tripingeorge

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tripingeorgeSend a Private Message to tripingeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[img]Wanted to try to keep some stretch out leg room just in case so I came up with this. Its not wired yet. I still have to wire amp. No idea how its going to sound. Fingures crossed. Also going to build cup holders extended out off of top of box. One will end up next to radio between radio and shifter right next to that flat blank space on consule. Other infront of fake glove box. Ok how do I post pics off my phone??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tripingeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2013 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tripingeorgeSend a Private Message to tripingeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tripingeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tripingeorgeSend a Private Message to tripingeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It isn't just a square box , it follows the contours in footwell so its deeper than it looks. Dont have amp w uhh red yet so I ran wires from my jeep to the sub in the fiero. It sounds soooo good.
FieroCanada

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think this is one of the best set up, looks nice and you keep your leg room.
http://www.tlg-auto.com/Fie..._Plate_p/4010103.htm
tripingeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tripingeorgeSend a Private Message to tripingeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's cool bit smallest I go is 10's. Also I believe to achieve best sound ftom subs they should be mounted low. Mid's at middle height and high's high up. Didnt think my sub was going to sound so good. It amazed me. Sounded like I haf 2 10's and my amp was runming off mybph one do I know it gets better.
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroCanada:

I think this is one of the best set up, looks nice and you keep your leg room.
http://www.tlg-auto.com/Fie..._Plate_p/4010103.htm

Although it is just a cheap version of my original concept. This was the first Console sub box around. This one was in my car before Chester bought it. Only recently found my original drawings of it. Only missing a couple of measurements off them. I forgot how much I overengineered it. Has about 50 screws and wood glue keeping it in 1 piece.

Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rofl I have that box in my car now lol. Its definitely SOLID.
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Macs86GT:

Rofl I have that box in my car now lol. Its definitely SOLID.

Good to see it stood the test of time.
I built it about the same time I built my work bench in the garage. I know I could confidently throw that thing in front of a high speed semi trailer and the semi would probably come off second best
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used two 10's and could still slide my seat all the way back, so I didn't "sacrifice" any leg room. I did sacrifice about a 1-1/2" of seat back tilt with the seat all the way back but that's it.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 10-09-2013).]

Big Paul

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Big PaulSend a Private Message to Big PaulEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is my under dash sub. It's a 10" that I got from a member for pretty cheap. Sounds good, but takes a lot of legroom. Good thing I almost never ride passenger in my own car!
tripingeorge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2013 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tripingeorgeSend a Private Message to tripingeorgeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's cool bit smallest I go is 10's. Also I believe to achieve best sound ftom subs they should be mounted low. Mid's at middle height and high's high up. Didnt think my sub was going to sound so good. It amazed me. Sounded like I haf 2 10's and my amp was runming off mybph one do I know it gets better.
PFF
System Bot
LoW_KeY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2013 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LoW_KeYSend a Private Message to LoW_KeYEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do like center console look. I got foot area one kicker l5 sounds awesome but might think of swaying for the center look

------------------

http://www.gofundme.com/diabetescasey
3800 SC/IC Formula whines more than your girl... 12.7@113
08 Cobalt SS TC - ZZP tuned, K&N SRI, 6k HID's 13.31@107
)

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-10-2013 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tripingeorge:

I don't know where you got that idea of mounting location, but it's total nonsense. To get the best sound from subs, they need to be mounted in an appropriately sized enclosure, and in the type of enclosure for the reproductive quality they are designed for. This is also true for mid-range speakers, though they are typically designed for free air use. Highs simply need to be mounted in a location, such that they are directed at your ears, when you are sitting in the car. And they need to be wired so that the crossover points are correct for the speakers' designed response ranges, and ideally with no overlap in frequencies. And the best subwoofer sound will come with at least two of them, wired in stereo just like the rest of the speakers.

In a Fiero of course, this is difficult because of the lack of space. However, the lack of space in a Fiero also means you don't need big subwoofers to make good low frequency sound in the car. 8" or even 6.5" subs can produce frequencies low enough and loud enough, to more than fill the Fiero cabin with low frequency sound.
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have 2 setups currently 2 12's behind that would give about a few inchs of travel no big deal for me being short. And then my favorite;
Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Phirewire

1531 posts
Member since May 2012

Originally posted by dobey:

I don't know where you got that idea of mounting location, but it's total nonsense. To get the best sound from subs, they need to be mounted in an appropriately sized enclosure, and in the type of enclosure for the reproductive quality they are designed for. This is also true for mid-range speakers, though they are typically designed for free air use. Highs simply need to be mounted in a location, such that they are directed at your ears, when you are sitting in the car. And they need to be wired so that the crossover points are correct for the speakers' designed response ranges, and ideally with no overlap in frequencies. And the best subwoofer sound will come with at least two of them, wired in stereo just like the rest of the speakers.

In a Fiero of course, this is difficult because of the lack of space. However, the lack of space in a Fiero also means you don't need big subwoofers to make good low frequency sound in the car. 8" or even 6.5" subs can produce frequencies low enough and loud enough, to more than fill the Fiero cabin with low frequency sound.

Another misconception is you need tons of power, Thats untrue. Just because an amp is rated 1000 watts doesn't mean its 1000watts of power going to your sub. The numbers you care about are rms. If you see a sub that says 1000 watts and has 100rms I'd avoid that sub. Its marketed for those who don't know any better. And You don't need 1000 watts to have good base. In my last picture that 10' sub is run off 100 watts. Its more than loud enough to shake the entire car. Do I play it that way no, but I can prove anyone who believes there 1000watt system is the greatest wrong when I show them mine sounds cleaner and is properly tuned.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2013 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phirewire:
Another misconception is you need tons of power, Thats untrue. Just because an amp is rated 1000 watts doesn't mean its 1000watts of power going to your sub. The numbers you care about are rms. If you see a sub that says 1000 watts and has 100rms I'd avoid that sub. Its marketed for those who don't know any better. And You don't need 1000 watts to have good base. In my last picture that 10' sub is run off 100 watts. Its more than loud enough to shake the entire car. Do I play it that way no, but I can prove anyone who believes there 1000watt system is the greatest wrong when I show them mine sounds cleaner and is properly tuned.

A 10" sub in a properly sized enclosure for it, will be extremely loud in a Fiero, even off the ~5w stock speaker power, depending on bass and volume adjustments on the stereo.

Most of what going to a larger diameter subwoofer does, is give you more SPL (volume). Depending on which subwoofers you're looking at, it may give you 5 hz or so lower frequency response, per every 2" or so larger you go, if the speaker was built and designed to offer such lower frequency response.

To counter your example with another one, I used to have a beater '99 S-10 extended cab, and I had a JL 6w0 (6.5" sub) with a tiny 100w amp powering it, and it would "shake" the whole cab. But really, shaking passenger cabin is exactly what you don't want to do, despite all the YouTube videos showing the roof flexing on Tahoes with 4 15s in the back. But I guess some people think it's "cool" to spend $5000 on a system that causes structural/body damage to their vehicle.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Phirewire, do cops take issue with it being in the back window?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-11-2013).]

Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2013 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Phirewire, do cops take issue with it being in the back window?

Haven't had any issues, some dirty looks and some compliments by officers.

Its the same thing as having a truck, some trucks put stuff to cover the back as others have a cab so you can't see. Theres a reason they have side mirrors.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-12-2013 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Haven't had any issues, some dirty looks and some compliments by officers.

Its the same thing as having a truck, some trucks put stuff to cover the back as others have a cab so you can't see. Theres a reason they have side mirrors.

It's not the same as a truck. Read your local and state laws again. Trucks/Vans, especially 4WD, often have special exemptions that regular vehicles do not.
Phirewire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2013 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

It's not the same as a truck. Read your local and state laws again. Trucks/Vans, especially 4WD, often have special exemptions that regular vehicles do not.

Caused me no problems like I said, was pulled over twice. One cop gave me dirty looks about it but other complimented it.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-12-2013 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Caused me no problems like I said, was pulled over twice. One cop gave me dirty looks about it but other complimented it.

Good for you. You have been lucky then. Not sure if it was state or local that pulled you over, or how the PA laws are worded in the matter, but I would guess that any cop who pulled you over would be well within the law to cite you for it.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock