Reman calipers by hiwil88formula
Started on: 10-05-2013 04:36 PM
Replies: 5 (237 views)
Last post by: ARKaiser on 10-05-2013 08:26 PM
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I was having leakage from the rear calipers on my formula. I thought it was due to the one man bleeder valves I put in. Low ant behold the remans I bought from calipers online had thread inserts in the bleeder screw holes. I will post up pics later. But really who the heck puts thread inserts on hydrolic lines? My advice do not buy the rear remans from calipersonline.com. The fronts are great nos ones but the rears are crap.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KillerFrogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah, re-man break parts can be a pain. When I did all four corners on my car, I opened and inspected all parts at the parts store before I purchased them. Something like calipers, I would rather spend a bit more and get then local where I can check them out first, re-man or not.

Another thing i did on the car before I replaced everything, the bleeder valve broke off in one of the rears. So what I did is drilled it out, then taped where the old bleeder went for a bigger thread. I then made a plug that fit into the new threads, that had the original bleeder pattern in it. So the plug got threaded in with JB weld on the threads so it is sealed and not going anywhere, bench tested everything with a new bleeder in it before it went back into the car, and called it good. A bit of a pain to do bit I have more time than have money.
V8 Vega

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-05-2013 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8 VegaSend a Private Message to V8 VegaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My mechanic put remanufactured calipers on all four wheels on my 87 GT. Cost over $600 for the whole brake job. Never did stop as good as it should, actually it was pretty bad. I was going to take it back to him but never got around to it. I wrecked the car unrelated to the brakes by spinning out on a curve on the freeway in a new rain and hitting the wall hard. I sold what was a $3000 car judging by comparable ads on Craigslist for $600.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bleeder screw seals at the taper seat; it's not a tapered pipe thread - the threads don't seal the hole.
A lot of aluminum calipers are remanufactured because the threads stripped out on the bleeder hole.
The original threads won't endure many bleeding operations until they're gone.
It's actually better to get calipers with threaded inserts - the threads will last much longer.
n7vrz

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hiwil88formula:

But really who the heck puts thread inserts on hydrolic lines?

I've done that many a time with no problems. And, yes, that includes hydraulics.
I am a retired industrial machinery mechanic. All told, around 40 years of work experience. Worked on air systems with pressures up to 4500 psi and hydraulics up to 3000 psi. None of them used pipe thread.
However, all sorts of connections can use thread inserts because they don't use the threads to do the sealing.

As mentioned in a response above, the threads on the bleed valve don't do the sealing. The tapered seat in the caliper that mates with the taper on the bleed valve does the sealing.

ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sell reman calipers all day long and well over half have inserts. Never has one come bake with that being the problem. Only problem with bleeders has been customers upset because some of them are not standard size. Not that the bleeders are bad but that the customers don't like to change wrenches.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock