Started on: 10-04-2013 06:08 PM
Replies: 7 (286 views)
Last post by: jaybug56 on 10-06-2013 06:26 PM
Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am finally on my way to buying my Fiero, and after my first look at a car, I have no idea what was good and bad about it.
I will give you some quick details: I have a budget of 2,000 or less, and it needs to be a fastback/stick(could deal with a cheap Auto) because I plan on dropping a 3800(sc) into it.

I just looked at a 87 Red GT, and I have a few questions about it:

1.The guy claimed that the previous owner had stroked the 2.8L to a 3.4L and it now made over 230HP. Driving it felt fast, although I was unable to really open it up. Is this claim legitimate? Can the 2.8L even make 230hp if it is just bore out to 3.4Ls?

2.It was a 5-speed, and the shifting was very, VERY notchy. There was almost zero play in neutral, and it required force to get it into gear, is this normal on the Fiero? It was just a struggle to get it into gear and felt like no other stick shift I have ever driven(although the clutch was fine).

3.The guy was asking 2500, this car had two different shades of paint, a two foot tall scratch on the rear bumper, and trim pieces starting to fall off. Also, it needed a new steering column as one of the bearings was bad(no A/C either). Although it ran fine, and the interior was nice, it needed a paint job very badly. Is 2500 a fair price? I was gonna say that 1600 would be the most I would be willing to offer him..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would definitely call BS on the HP claims..

Sounds like the shifter cables/linkages are rusty or sticking. At $2500, I would keep looking.

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 10-04-2013).]

Threedog

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThreedogSend a Private Message to ThreedogEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let me put it this way, what are the chances that engine would make more power than even a stock 3800?
Macs86GT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2013 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Macs86GTSend a Private Message to Macs86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
a snow balls chance in hell id say. I would keep looking it sounds like the car may have some significant hidden issues that's just me. If hes willing to come down on the price maybe. Check for rust behind the trunk carpet and reach in past the wheel liner to feel for flaking and rust that's the frame rail. The shift on fieros can be a bit like gravel in the shifter feel but if you have to get all Arnold on it its probably got some issues, possibly bad cables or other transmission related problems.

[This message has been edited by Macs86GT (edited 10-04-2013).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You should get in contact with the Lansing Fiero club!!!!! They can help you!!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 2.8 might be able to be bored and stroked to a 3.4, but the cylinder walls will be very thin. (It's not something a backyard mechanic should even attempt. The blocks will have to be tested to make sure the cylinder walls are thick enough.)
Having said that, even a properly built up 3.4 will be doing well to make it to 200 HP. If it looks stock, and idles like a stock Fiero, it's not making even 200 HP. 200 HP pretty much requires a lumpy cam, head porting, a modified intake manifold, big injectors, headers, etc., etc.

Sounds like your seller is dreaming. I would be tempted to keep looking. You can do better.
FieroCanada

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2013 02:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCanadaSend a Private Message to FieroCanadaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My shifting when I first bought it I really needed to put lots of force into it for it to slide into another gear, but few days of driving it , it had fixed it self and slides in easy now weird.
jaybug56

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2013 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybug56Send a Private Message to jaybug56Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Threedog:

I just looked at a 87 Red GT, and I have a few questions about it:

1.The guy claimed that the previous owner had stroked the 2.8L to a 3.4L and it now made over 230HP. Driving it felt fast, although I was unable to really open it up. Is this claim legitimate? Can the 2.8L even make 230hp if it is just bore out to 3.4Ls?

Total bs on HP. And adds no value

2.It was a 5-speed, and the shifting was very, VERY notchy. There was almost zero play in neutral, and it required force to get it into gear, is this normal on the Fiero? It was just a struggle to get it into gear and felt like no other stick shift I have ever driven(although the clutch was fine).

I thought the same thing about my first 5-speed. I got used to it really fast and it feels fine now.

3.The guy was asking 2500, this car had two different shades of paint, a two foot tall scratch on the rear bumper, and trim pieces starting to fall off. Also, it needed a new steering column as one of the bearings was bad(no A/C either). Although it ran fine, and the interior was nice, it needed a paint job very badly. Is 2500 a fair price? I was gonna say that 1600 would be the most I would be willing to offer him..

Sounds like the car I bought for $1300. He is asking 2500 but probably expects to haggle on the price. Some people just like to negotiate price. Go in with your limit and stick to it. Just walk away if the seller won't take your offer.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock