Lighted door sills plates by CPR85Fiero
Started on: 09-25-2013 09:56 PM
Replies: 31 (1682 views)
Last post by: Danyel on 07-06-2014 11:30 PM
CPR85Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CPR85FieroSend a Private Message to CPR85FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Found this on one of my customers cars today, its a lighted door sill plate and looked really cool! Has anyone seen them with a Pontiac or fiero emblem?

------------------
85 SE w/5 speed
Bone stock (so far!)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here looks like where they got them:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=door+sill+led
XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will take this challenge on, I bet "silver 85 sc" could make some door sills and then its just a matter of cutting under the logo and inserting an LED strip that taps into the Foot Well lights, this way when you open the car the lights come on and when you close it they turn off.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by XThirtySeven:

I will take this challenge on, I bet "silver 85 sc" could make some door sills and then its just a matter of cutting under the logo and inserting an LED strip that taps into the Foot Well lights, this way when you open the car the lights come on and when you close it they turn off.

Presently being finished up ... my molds are drying as we speak ... silver 85 sc made me the tops with the fiero logo cut into SS strips ... I will be able to personalise these if silver 85 sc can laser cut them .... I will post pics and more info on these tonight when I get home.

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 09-26-2013).]

XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Presently being finished up ... my molds are drying as we speak ... silver 85 sc made me the tops with the fiero logo cut into SS strips ... I will be able to personalise these if silver 85 sc can laser cut them .... I will post pics and more info on these tonight when I get home.

Ah very well, how did you recess the LED into the sideskirt, is there room without having to cut into the metal below or does it stick out a bit over the sideskirt piece? Any interference with closing the door?
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by XThirtySeven:

Ah very well, how did you recess the LED into the sideskirt, is there room without having to cut into the metal below or does it stick out a bit over the sideskirt piece? Any interference with closing the door?

They are are made so they can replace the Fiero door sill plates that cover the side rocker's rivets ... no mods is required .. running the wiring into the Foot Well light harness is the hardest part of the install.... no interference either with the door's closing ... pics tonight

XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They are are made so they can replace the Fiero door sill plates that cover the side rocker's rivets ... no mods is required .. running the wiring into the Foot Well light harness is the hardest part of the install.... no interference either with the door's closing ... pics tonight

That is awesome I look forward to it!
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thats great timing. I have some door sills now (from silver 85) and I am planning to do the lighting too. Will be interested to see how you will do this to give me some ideas. I plan on the install after I get my widebody put on.

Do you plan on leaving the cut outs open or attaching some sort of clear backing? Ideally having a clear cut out to match the cut out in the sill would be the way to go and then just have that back lit. At least that is what I was tossing around as an idea. will have to dig more into when I get to that stage. I have just the Pegasus cut out on my sills. I think i have a pic of them in my thread.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

[This message has been edited by KOS (edited 09-26-2013).]

TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dan,

Wouldn't it be easier to do a complete beveled edges (for clear rear mount) on a rectangular piece of Plexiglas.
Apply inverted vinyl lettering on the rear in whatever cool font you want.
Then spray the rear with what ever color you want (black or car's color).
Let paint dry
Remove the vinyl letters and wa-la!
Now attach the rectangular Plexiglas finished piece to the back of the sill plate.

That is how I have been thinking about skinning it...because I am going to be doing this on barbie as apart of her upgrades, once blue dream is completed in the next few weeks.
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:
....... on a rectangular piece of Plexiglas.

Yep it would do the job but I'm not too not sure how long it would last and how good I would look...
regards
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CPR85Fiero:
...its a lighted door sill plate and looked really cool! Has anyone seen them with a Pontiac or fiero emblem?

Yes...

Originally posted by Archie:

Aso working on the Sill Plate installation.....

With the rockers off the car we made a plastic ABS pattern & then carefully made the opening in the rocker panel. It's shown here back on the car to check positioning.

Then, off the car again, we hot glue paint sticks to the top of the ABS then we can go in from the backside & layup a couple of layers of fiberglass.....

While we have that fiberglass curing, we marked up to enlarged hood vents that Troy wanted & I emailed pics to his for his approval.

We also worked on a few other things. Then back to the rockers.....After we remove the ABS pattern, we have a nice pocket & floor to mount the Sill Plates to.......

After we put a hole in the floor for the wires, we can set the plate into the pocket.
ON

OFF

On again...

The rocker are going to be repainted, so we won't final mount the Sill Plates until after paint is done.

Archie

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 09-26-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you please tell us the total price including installation of these sills on The Perfect Union ?? I'd estimate between 3 to 5 hundred installed...man those are beautiful !!!!! Cant afford them though ...

Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
Member since Sep 2008
As promised pics .............. I have been doing some R&D for LED door sills... I made molds so these can be inserted in the OEM Fiero plate location .... but DAMM I hit a snag tonight when I unmolded my latex molds ...... the LATEX was krappy quality and after 1 week did not properly dry ..... when I tried unmolding my bucks the stupid latex was half a$$ dried .... gonna have to get better quality latex..... here are my pics ... thought I would be able to go into production this week-end ....

Heading out to the store to get better latex ...... more to come this week-end
------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

KOS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah this is exactly what I was thinking of doing for mine. Use rubber mold to make the plastic insert/backing for my cut out. Then tint that and illuminate it

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

How come you are using latex rather than rtv silicone for the molds?
silver 85 sc

Feedback score:    (40)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I'm in. Let me know what you need from me. I was thinking of making the door sill a channel so you could slide a thin piece of plexiglass in. Then use colored led's to iluminate. I'll watch and see how this goes, it looks interesting.

Rich
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:
How come you are using latex rather than rtv silicone for the molds?

I just forgot its real name but YES it is Silicone RTV.. regards
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Danyel

6087 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by silver 85 sc:

I guess I'm in. Let me know what you need from me. I was thinking of making the door sill a channel so you could slide a thin piece of plexiglass in. Then use colored led's to iluminate. I'll watch and see how this goes, it looks interesting.

Rich

Due to the rockers anchor point sliding a piece of plexi will not be viable .... the lettering extends too far..... also dirt and dust will accumulate in the cut out lettering....... the molded in technic will be the best and better so all the letters glow evenly .....
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can use EL Sheets/Strips as they are extremely thin.
http://www.adafruit.com/products/414
whitestar

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whitestarSend a Private Message to whitestarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I started thinking on a smaller version of this for my car last year. I contacted "silver 85 sc, to see if he could make them for me. The insert's that he now sells, I have taken out the "Factory" Fiero GT sills and I am working on a mutli lighting system for the door sills and other places inside the car. I am working on the led strips and Plexiglas right now. I am just doing this for my car and yes it isn't as big as the lighted "Corolla" or the "LS7 Pontiac 7.0L" but it isn't costing me all that much either. When I get done with it I figure it costing me less than a $100.00. Anybody can do this fairly cheap and silver 85 sc is already making a good product to start with! If you want something bigger I sure he could "UP" size it or even "SUPER SIZE" it or something similar. That’s the thing about our cars and this forum; sharing ideas, enjoying life where it be Fieros or other things. Keep it going!
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-27-2013 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Heading out to the store to get better latex ...

I have said that before.
PFF
System Bot
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How would this work on a modified side skirt where it's solid all the way across? I replaced mine with an aftermarket one that was made by lildevil years ago.

I'll have to get some pics up of it.
silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Due to the rockers anchor point sliding a piece of plexi will not be viable .... the lettering extends too far..... also dirt and dust will accumulate in the cut out lettering....... the molded in technic will be the best and better so all the letters glow evenly .....

Actually I was thinking a thinner top piece of around .02" thick with a 1/8" plexiglass. The top would have a 90" 1/8" bend on one side and a channel bend on the other. To complete the assembly use an adhesive like loctite Go. This stuff is amazing. I glued the front bumper of my '86 SE together with it and it is holding great. Has a huge temp range too.

Rich
CPR85Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CPR85FieroSend a Private Message to CPR85FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great responses! I didn't anybody was working on these already. Love the job Archie did for the LS7! Question for Dan, you made molds what were you going to fill them with? Some sort of poured clear plastic or something else?
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CPR85Fiero:

Great responses! I didn't anybody was working on these already. Love the job Archie did for the LS7! Question for Dan, you made molds what were you going to fill them with? Some sort of poured clear plastic or something else?

Yep its called Alumilite Clear.... regards
silver 85 sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for silver 85 scSend a Private Message to silver 85 scEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yep its called Alumilite Clear.... regards

Wow! Let the customizing begin.

87GT2M6

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
any progress to report? updates
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm interested in some sills, but no backlighting. Just custom lettering.
dematrix86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dematrix86gtSend a Private Message to dematrix86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this company will make any logo you want with led backlighting PONTIAC with blue backlighting is 199.00 king penn

[This message has been edited by dematrix86gt (edited 03-24-2014).]

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That was September last year.... where exactly is this store? LOL! So yea, BUMP would be nice to have a lighted sill option.

Honestly, I am sure I will like the one you did better than Archie. The one he did is stainless steel, with a large plastic inlay. The router you are going will just have the lettering / artwork cut out of the stainless steel.

flyntus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flyntusSend a Private Message to flyntusEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any update on the door sills?
PFF
System Bot
Danyel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by flyntus:

Any update on the door sills?

I'm still finishing up my test sills ..... but had to put on the back burner .... I will soon give more updates
regards
Danyel

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave