Started on: 09-24-2013 11:56 AM
Replies: 2 (310 views)
Last post by: jaskispyder on 09-24-2013 02:35 PM
Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking into getting my Fiero painted (per my other thread on costs). Due to the cost, which I think is reasonable but maybe a lot to invest in my particular Fiero, I am considering doing some (if not all) the work myself.

I have some automotive prep and paint experience. My first car, a 1980 Ford Fairmont, I did a ton of sanding and bondo work to in preparation for paint. However, I did not do the painting (my uncle laid down the paint).

After that, I have done a couple very small repairs, to prepping and painting whole body panels. The latest was the trunk lid on my now dead 88 Fiero Formula. Now, I did those repairs with automotive grade paint in spray cans, due to a lack of equipment. Although not the most long term durable paint, they did turn out very well with some wet sanding and buffing (relatively flat, high gloss, etc). However, the size and scope of this project may exceed what I want to do with that method.

On this project, I am going for a somewhat better quality finished product with a little more longevity. I know most of the effort needs to go into the prep work, and I will sort out how to paint it down the road (whether I lay the paint or have someone do it).

Now my issue is the condition of the current paint. On the front bumper, the car has had the front hood, fenders, and bumper replaced. Maybe 15 years ago. Paint on hood and fenders is still good, but the bumper has since been tagged, and the paint is flaking off. So I have bare bumper plastic showing.

Question here is, would I be better off stripping all of this to avoid the extrensive sanding and feather edging? Also since it is chipping, it shows it is no longer adhered well.

Now, my other big problem areas are the roof and trunk. Clear coat is gone on them. Worse, the paint looks checked or etched. Lots of "lines" running through the paint. (White paint, dark lines). Again, would it be best to just sand this some? Or strip it down to bare?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may want to ask the place that will be doing the painting so what you do to prep is compatible with what they do to paint.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought there were issues with using chemical strippers with the body panels (maybe that was just the SMC panels). Anyway, bead blasting would be the way to go, but the paint shop should be able to help you, as mentioned.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock