Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Has anyone rebuilt there old 2.8 and turned it into a 3.1 or 3.4?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Has anyone rebuilt there old 2.8 and turned it into a 3.1 or 3.4? by AL
Started on: 09-23-2013 07:24 PM
Replies: 23 (698 views)
Last post by: AL on 09-29-2013 10:52 PM
AL

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALSend a Private Message to ALEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just like the title saids,I've have my 2.8 out and was going to get a 3.4 but I started to think what if I rebuild the 2.8 and make it a 3.1 or 3.4, has anyone done this ? And if u did , did it work good or did u regret not getting a real 3.4 .
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post09-23-2013 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a fresh 2.8 stroked out to 3.1. I easily should have at the very least gone to a Camaro 3.4.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done both. First, I put a stroker kit in my old 2.8 to turn it into a 3.1. Then after that engine died, I bought a 3.4 crate engine. I wish I would have gotten the 3.4 to begin with.
AL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALSend a Private Message to ALEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So it would be better to go with a 3.4 to start.

------------------

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL:

Id say so, at least for the better lubrication system
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would recommend the 3.4 over the stroker conversion. But honestly, I'd recommend the 3x00 series engines over the 3.4 V6. They weigh less than the 3.4 V6 (aluminum heads weigh less than iron heads), deliver more performance, and are plentiful in the salvage yards. I'm referring to the 3100 / 3400 / 3500 SFI V6 engines used in a lot of GM FWD vehicles.

Actually, the only reason I still have the 3.4 V6 is because I got a deal on this nifty uber-rare racing intake. If it weren't for that, my Fiero would have a 3400 in it right now.
project34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL:

Yes, and more specifically, start with either the 3.4L crate engine, or the 3.4L engine found within all `93 through `95 V6-equipped Camaros or Firebirds --- and NOT attempting (because of often-thin cylinder walls) to bore and stroke your 2.8L Fiero engine into a 3.4L engine.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM had 2 blocks and 2 cranks to give you the 3 engine sizes.

Block 1 was the 2.8, and with a longer stroke crank a 3.1
Block 2 had a larger bore and the 3.1 crank to be the 3.4

To try get 3.4 using the 2.8 block would probably need a .060" overbore and a 3.1 crank.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-24-2013).]

Fiero38SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero38SCSend a Private Message to Fiero38SCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As previously stated, go straight for a 3.4 engine and rebuild that to your liking. Do not waste you money, like so many including myself, on the 2.8 block.
AL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALSend a Private Message to ALEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok then, 3.4 it will be,I found a crate engine from sdcp for 1,865.95 brand new. Hopefully order it buy this weekend, unless u guys know where I can get one cheaper, thanks guys for your input.AL

------------------

30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Has anyone rebuilt" their "old 2.8 and turned it into a 3.1 or 3.4?"

Yes
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, many have. likely more common back when 3.1/3.4 short blocks were not so cheap & bountiful.

so much better & cheaper to just swap the short block and be done with it
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL:
Ok then, 3.4 it will be,I found a crate engine from sdcp for 1,865.95 brand new. Hopefully order it buy this weekend, unless u guys know where I can get one cheaper, thanks guys for your input.AL

The $1,866 price you located seems a reasonable one to me.
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2013 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL:

You can also buy a used 3400 motor and rebuild that into a 3.4 motor and end up with a better oil pan and cam upgrade. There is a much higher cost but I don't regret one penny.

http://www.fierosound.com/34engine/3400details.htm
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/075502.html
AL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALSend a Private Message to ALEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So many options ,but I think the 3.4 sounds good to me, hopefully I can finish this build and get my baby back on the road again,thanks AL.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL:

So many options ,but I think the 3.4 sounds good to me, hopefully I can finish this build and get my baby back on the road again,thanks AL.

For your 3.4L engine swap, and as I've mentioned to several others, I suggest employing this concise write-up by fellow PFF member, crazyd, which is titled, "Fiero 3.4L F-Body Engine Conversion ( http://fiero34swap.eleventenths.org ). The current version of this article indexes its subject matter into 22 well-labeled sections:
  1. Getting Started
  2. 3.4 Engine Choices
  3. Gaskets
  4. Mounting the 3.4 Engine On Its Stand
  5. Oil Filter Adapter
  6. Mounting the Flywheel/Flexplate
  7. Relocating the Starter: Drilling the Holes
  8. Tapping the Starter Holes and Mounting the Starter Holes and Mounting the Starter
  9. Exhaust Manifolds
  10. Bellhousing
  11. Block Chop
  12. Oil Pan
  13. Timing Cover
  14. Cleaning Gasket Surfaces
  15. Water Pump
  16. Harmonic Balancer
  17. Accessory Transfer
  18. Oil Pressure Sender and A/C Compressor
  19. Clutch
  20. Mounts
  21. Installing the Engine Back On the Cradle
  22. Setting the Ignition Timing
Even in its updated, slightly expanded version, that 3.4L engine swap write-up still amounts to only around 10 pages of hard copy, as opposed to the hundreds you may see elsewhere. However, I think you'll find that reading those 10 pages and keeping them handy with you will represent a very time-efficient way to answer many or all of the key questions you may have regarding the installation of a 3.4L engine swap into your Fiero.

As I've mentioned to other forum members before, I relied on an earlier version of that write-up for my own 3.4L engine swap, successfully completed in around three days, on New Year's Eve, 2006, just before I joined this forum.

Good luck to you on your 3.4L engine swap project!
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of the same stuff applies to a 3400 block except:

You'll have to switch pistons or your compression ratio will be 7.3:1 ... not a problem if you are rebuilding the used motor like I always do.
You'll need to shave the oil pan to make the front engine mount work with a pre-88 or make a new mount for the 88 cradle.
Plug a drain hole as described on page 1 or 2 of my thread.
Clip the inner lip of the roller lifter guides that are bolted to the block.
Dent or remove the heat shield on the lower intake.
Get 5.85" pushrods. Get 17# injectors should require no ECM programming or 19# injectors if you plan to add mods later.

I went to the added trouble of rocker arm stud adapters and used 1.6 full aluminum roller rockers.

The benefits of a 3400 block over a 3.4 block is you get a better oil pan and a windage tray so you won't lose oil pressure on sharp left turns. Higher flow oil pump stock. Free [roller] cam upgrade as the stock 3400 cam is superior to the H260 that is quite popular among 3.4 swappers...
AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO DRILL STARTER HOLES SINCE THEY ARE ALREADY THERE ON THE 3400 BLOCK!

You can re-use your distributor or add the DIS that came with the 3400 with some minor reprogramming of the stock Fiero ECM.

You need to do the DAWG intake neck mod in order to let this cam breathe past 4200 rpm properly. Most 3.4 swaps with inferior cams to the stock 3400 cam don't peak past 4500 rpm as it is without that mod.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 09-25-2013).]

AL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2013 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALSend a Private Message to ALEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info, I'll keep u guys posted on how it goes, thanks.

------------------

Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
why not just go with the 3500 for a 40HP more power?
Inferno

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2013 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for InfernoSend a Private Message to InfernoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Inferno

423 posts
Member since Nov 2003
why not just go with the 3500 for a 40HP more power?
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not just go 3800SC for 80 more HP and less money than a 3X00/60?

God forbid the OP want to look stock and not want to spend months on a swap...

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 09-27-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
AL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALSend a Private Message to ALEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It would be great , but remember I live in Cali, the smog patrol don't let people put whatever engine in there car.

------------------

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want a new crate motor and the stock look then the 3.4 crate motor is the only option really.

Once you stray from that then the sky is the limit. It's a question of how much do you want to pay.
AL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALSend a Private Message to ALEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I didn't live in Cali I would go more in hp,but what's the point in building a great motor and then u have to fight the government so they can let u drive it,u guys r very helpful thanks again,AL.

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock