EGR valve washer problem - 4 cylinder by xquaid
Started on: 09-22-2013 03:44 PM
Replies: 5 (500 views)
Last post by: schw32m on 09-28-2013 08:35 AM
xquaid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2013 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for xquaidClick Here to visit xquaid's HomePageSend a Private Message to xquaidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased an AC/Delco replacement EGR valve for the 1988 Fiero 2m4 (4 cylinder) engine.

The kit came with 11 or so washers.

Here is my problem: The directions state "Find your code from the previous EGR valve to locate the washer for your new EGR valve".
I found the code but the code is not listed on the new part list.

I searched google: Can't find what I need....
I tried on washer, that tripped the check engine light.
I tried the "medium hole" washer, that tripped the check engine light.

Does anybody know the washer #?

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Emissions

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

stefanosg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of the first things I replaced was the EGR. I do not recall it coming with any washers. I think I got mine from Autozone, I don't recall the brand. It came with a soft metallic looking gasket, but no washers. '88 L4 Auto
xquaid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2013 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for xquaidClick Here to visit xquaid's HomePageSend a Private Message to xquaidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

See my Cave, Emissions

theogre,

Thank you for the helpful information! I will check this the minute I get home

- Justin

xquaid

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2013 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for xquaidClick Here to visit xquaid's HomePageSend a Private Message to xquaidEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cannot find either code on the list of washer codes. I guess I will continue trial and error Next up, smaller washer! :P
schw32m

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2013 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for schw32mSend a Private Message to schw32mEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen this a few times with the comment "I can't find a number on the chart that matches the original EGR I took out. So how can I match the washer size?". Actually folks it is fairly simple and I've done this on many cars.

1. After removal, you will want to TRY to match with the chart.

2. If this fails (you can't find a matching number) take a dial caliper and measure the orifice of the original EGR.

3. Measure the inside opening of the washers to find the one that is closest to the original EGR.

Once you get one that is close (usually within a couple of thousands) install and test. 99% of the time it should be right and work correctly.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock