ROADSTER REDUX ( Crow) / DARKWING by fieroseblack
Started on: 09-05-2013 12:56 PM
Replies: 27 (957 views)
Last post by: pontiackid86 on 09-20-2013 12:04 AM
fieroseblack

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My long time passion, (1992) was involved with a 18 wheeler recap tire on the way home from the 30th. I fondly had named the 86 S/E Fiero, "DARKWING." It actually is on the 30th DVD twice. The trucking co. I made a settlement and the Fiero was totaled due to trans and engine problems from the recap tire.

I have now begun a new project of finishing a roadster started in 2004 by Crow on this Forum. If you put roadster in search it will come up. The one issue that I need help with is the header over the windshield. I have not been able to find or think of a way to have a header and seal it up nice. It also has a removable three piece top. Much like my old jeep Wrangler set up. I need to find someone or somehow to have a nice windshield header that will allow me to use the aluminum frame and canvas pieces.

Any thoughts and suggestions will be appreciated. At this time PIP says "cant find server.'

Mike Parker

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like you have a great start to a project.
Congrats.
Mike
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had an 84 convert I was playing with for a while, when looking for parts I found that 90's Sunbird's and Lebaron's had some parts that may have worked. Also, check out any 80's-90's Mustangs converts if you can find them. They used to be all over in the local yards, but not so much any more.

Rob

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 09-05-2013).]

fieroseblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Mike G.

Now you see why I need a new console door and cup holders. The theme of the interior will be black with dark gray & a splash of red. Two snaps in a circle.

It appears I needed to reboot my system for PIP.

Mike P.
fieroseblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroseblack

1047 posts
Member since Apr 2002

Originally posted by qwikgta:

I had an 84 convert I was playing with for a while, when looking for parts I found that 90's Sunbird's and Lebaron's had some parts that may have worked. Also, check out any 80's-90's Mustangs converts if you can find them. They used to be all over in the local yards, but not so much any more.

Rob

Thanks a lot. The header thing is driving me to drink. But it was only a short trip.

Mike P.
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Rob

MP, looks like you and i need to hit the junkyards again since we're both looking for the same thing.
fieroseblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

MP, looks like you and i need to hit the junkyards again since we're both looking for the same thing.

I agree, I need to see some first hand.
355Fiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 355FieroSend a Private Message to 355FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mike;

I have a targa set up on my 308 replica and I am doing a plate welded to the lower side of the windshield. it is about 2" wide with a 1/4" lip on the edge. I bought Firebird t-top seals and cut the centre portions out and glued the two sides together and then glued the Firebird window seal to the Fiero door seal about half way down the window section.

The t-top seal is kept in place by two small clip rails that are 3/4"x1/8"x1/4" bent into a C configuration. I have one rail on each inside edge of the plate welded to the roof section. The t-top seal clips into these rails and after some sealant, should be very water tight. I posted a pic over in Yarmouth Fiero's build thread as he was asking about how to do it as well and I linked to my pic below as well. I am just about to put this whole arrangement together in the next few days and can get some more pics up for you.

Not sure if the writeup makes sense but hopefully the pic explains some of it....

Thanks
Don

fieroseblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
355Fiero.............man thanks a lot. Please let me know how it comes out with pics.

Thanks
Mike Parker
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Mike,

Sorry to hear about Darkwing! One of my Favorite Fieros! But glad to hear you are working a Roadster project. I'm in the process of doing a Roadster myself but will have no soft top. I will offer up this thought - and I'll try and get some pics this weekend - but look for pics of a T - Top car and look at the way it's made to seal the top - something similar along the entire length of the header - much like 355Fiero has shown. Good luck on the new project.

Pat

fieroseblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pat,

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions.

Mike Parker
PFF
System Bot
BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your life would be much easier to make it a true roadster. No top, and waterproof the interior as best you can and only take it out when there is ZERO chance of rain. Now that would be a badass car.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 09-07-2013).]

BlackThunderGT

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackThunderGTSend a Private Message to BlackThunderGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can’t believe Darkwing is dead! Good luck with the new project. What are you driving at the Ruckus?
fieroseblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks I thought about all time roadster but this is East Texas and a pop up shower comes often.

Paul, The roadster runs great, has a 3.8 N/A and A/C. So if the weather is good, I am good. I guess it is no different than owning / driving a motorcycle. Looking forward to catching up with you and your bro at Ruckus XII.

Mike Parker
85red2m6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85red2m6Send a Private Message to 85red2m6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know I'm buying an 89 Z24 Cavalier ragtop for parts from a buddy, and I'm gonna see how much of the hardware I can adapt for my fiero Top... I was thinking maybe some of the framework and definitely the front latches and such...

------------------
1986 Fiero SE 2.8 Auto - Blackie
1985 Fiero GT 2.8 4-spd - Goldie II - To be driveable this season
1985 Fiero GT Convertible - 3.8SC 4-spd - long term project
1987 Cavalier Z24 2.8 5-spd - daily driver - 300k miles and still goin
1993 Bonneville SSEi - 3800SC parts/wiring donor for 85 Vert

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am sorry to hear you lost your DARKWING. I know you had several years of your life wrapped up in there. Wishing you the best with your new endeavor.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 09-07-2013).]

fieroseblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

I am sorry to hear you lost your DARKWING. I know you had several years of your live wrapped up in there. Wishing you the best with your new endeavor.

Thanks Joe. It's onward now on the new project.

Mike P.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I almost purchased this car when crow had it for sale originally. About the only thing that killed it was the fact that i would have had to wrestle with my wife for garage space.

The choptop is already hogging a spot so it was a no go.

Good luck on the Redux.
fieroseblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
still looking for ideas and/or suggestions.

Mike P
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2013 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mike,

I'm really sorry to hear about your car. I remember meeting you at the Boerne Tx show in 99, or 2000.
(pics from that show...)

------------------

fieroseblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Joel,

I remember you as well. We were both members of AAFO and you also had the Archie blue chop top 5.8L. Glad to see you held on to the maroon one, nice Fiero. I retired and we moved to East Texas, outside Tyler. I now belong to the North Texas Fiero Club, but keep in touch with the AAFO in San Antonio & the Bat City Fieros out of Austin.

Mike Parker
PFF
System Bot
Falcon Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2013 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Falcon FieroSend a Private Message to Falcon FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mike,

Glad you are staying with Fiero's after your loss. I have not had a Fiero since 2004, but still read the forum here daily.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cant wait to see the car Mike...U will love the 3800 as it such a smooth good running motor...

NEVERDONE

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2013 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NEVERDONESend a Private Message to NEVERDONEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boy cameras sure have come a long way since 2000!
fieroseblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroseblackSend a Private Message to fieroseblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Cant wait to see the car Mike...U will love the 3800 as it such a smooth good running motor...

Thanks Steve, I have some questions I am saving for you.

Mike P.
jwct7

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwct7Send a Private Message to jwct7Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for your loss Mike, I sure you know (I told you often enough) I used to love driving behind the "Darkwing". Good luck with the new project.
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2013 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mike,
Sorry to hear about your car. It is easy to make it "pop-up shower proof". Down pour while driving at 70 MPH is another story. Snaps are easiest. You got the frame which is the hard part.
Good luck with your new project.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2013 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gota love them recaps... I lost one before (admittedly I rushed through my pretrip inspection and missed that it was a tad low on air) Seems like a nice project, I've always liked that roadster.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock