Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Best looking Iron Duke engine? Most pimped out 2.5?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Best looking Iron Duke engine? Most pimped out 2.5? by DanDamage
Started on: 09-03-2013 11:43 AM
Replies: 26 (1910 views)
Last post by: Fiero STS on 01-23-2017 08:35 AM
DanDamage

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen pics of a Supercharged? Or was it Turbo? 2.5 that they put in a special one time edition of the Fiero. I know it wasnt a production model. I would like to see what people have done to the little 2.5 over the years. I know its unpopular, but lets see what the dedicated have created with it.

------------------
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view. What I live for

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1988holleyformula

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1988holleyformulaSend a Private Message to 1988holleyformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With as simple as the Iron Duke is, I like the subtle changes that TopNotch has done to his:

edit: Check out this thread Dan: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/086439.html

[This message has been edited by 1988holleyformula (edited 09-03-2013).]

Sile

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SileSend a Private Message to SileEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That awkward moment when I realize this whole time I thought the 2.8 was the iron duke & i'm wrong.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is nothing particularly special about mine...just very clean with everything powdercoated in a black and white theme. But, this thread needs more pics...

During installation....

20k miles later....

I don't recommend using white in the engine bay...
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OOOooo I like the white theme
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Edit....I have figured out what is causing these double posts. Happens when you make a post, then later use the back button and go backward through the form submission page. It doesn't seem to do it if you go back right away...only if you wait a while before doing it.

[This message has been edited by CowsPatoot (edited 09-04-2013).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sile:

That awkward moment when I realize this whole time I thought the 2.8 was the iron duke & i'm wrong.

Just think Iron Puke and you think of the 2.5 immediately...

Ok, I'm not just a hater, I am also an owner. Nothing too fancy, just trying to keep my Indy clean

DanDamage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DanDamageSend a Private Message to DanDamageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great pics thanks guys
Good work also on them

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wish I could find it, but there is a pic somewhere of a chromed out duke, I mean really chromed out. Its on the cradle not in the car if I remember right.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2013 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Wish I could find it, but there is a pic somewhere of a chromed out duke, I mean really chromed out. Its on the cradle not in the car if I remember right.

Is this it? (it's a Jeep 2.5, but related)

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 09-05-2013).]

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2013 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This one was at the 30th....

PFF
System Bot
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can one of you guys post a soundclip of a stock 2.5 ? I want remember the sound. It's been awhile since I heard one running.
CowsPatoot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84 Duke with an 86 V6 exhaust...specifically, the white and black one posted above.

Same car, but with the original 4 cyl exhaust...

[This message has been edited by CowsPatoot (edited 09-07-2013).]

stefanosg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2013 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CoolBlue87GT:

Can one of you guys post a soundclip of a stock 2.5 ? I want remember the sound. It's been awhile since I heard one running.

Here ya go, complete with belt squeal too.

paced84

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is my
Indy, air cleaner by Fred Bartemeyer

------------------

signature by F-I-E-R-O (My Indy on right / #1 IMS)

[This message has been edited by paced84 (edited 09-08-2013).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still waiting for a picture of one with webers on it!
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ref: the soundclips, just like I remember. Thanks for posting.

Compare with my TDI, It's close in sound level.

(The slight buzzing noise is from camera mount)
stefanosg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2013 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stefanosgClick Here to visit stefanosg's HomePageSend a Private Message to stefanosgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

Still waiting for a picture of one with webers on it!

[This message has been edited by stefanosg (edited 09-08-2013).]

liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2017 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this is quite an old topic, but just happened to run across it and being that I recently finished rebuilding my 2.5 it seems necessary to post a pic
Nothing too special, just all black with braided stainless steel lines and stainless intake pipe.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2017 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There were several Turbocharged Duke engines in Fieros over the years. One was owned by Steven Vincent, then sold to Ed Parks in AL, then re-sold to an area owner that was to restore it. Its probably still out there and Steven might know. It was a neat install done with a kit by Pfaff Turbo of CA then the kit was produced by IRM or Maryland and discontinued when they went out of business. The tooling for this kit must still exist somewhere but who knows where it may lie.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2017 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about this?

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2017 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about a Holley.
Not really a Duke, either. It's an SD4. Don't own it any more.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-21-2017).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here it is with the Dellortos. Very similar to Webers.
Sexy as hell, but gummed up from many years of dis-use. The plan was to run the Holley until I could get the Dellortos sorted.
Ended up selling the car.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-22-2017).]

liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero STS:

How about this?

That looks great!! Where did you get that header?
liv4God

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

liv4God

733 posts
Member since Feb 2011

Originally posted by Raydar:

How about a Holley.
Not really a Duke, either. It's an SD4. Don't own it any more.

Raydar do you know how much power it put out? One of these days I'm hoping to get my hands on an SD4 and put it in an Indy
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2017 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking around 200. It felt almost as fast as my 4.9, without even being properly tuned. (Carb was taken out of the box and bolted on. Set the idle mixture and drove it. Sold it before I had a chance to get it dialed in. It always felt like it was capable of more.)
There are lots of SD4s that make more power than that, but mine had an early cast iron (casting "775") head. The port configuration/location was very similar to stock, except they were huge.
Stock intake gasket and stock header gasket worked acceptably well.

The "801" aluminum head is worth a bunch more power. Others too, I'm sure.

FWIW, mine had a 6000 RPM limiter "chip" in the MSD box. Don't think I ever bounced it off the limiter. Since I didn't know the engine that well, I was a bit reluctant to hammer it any more than I did.

=====================

With all of that said, I've thought about trying to find another "775" head, and bolt it on my otherwise stock 88 Duke (or an 87 with an 88 crank) with appropriate induction and a header, and beat on it.
I also have considered putting "good" pistons and rods into a stock block, along with the 775 head. If everything is balanced, maybe I won't ventilate anything. (The only misgiving I would have, would be the possibility of damaging an SD head, if the magic smoke escaped.)

Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-22-2017).]

Fiero STS

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2017 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by liv4God:

That looks great!! Where did you get that header?

It is a copy of a Hooker tri y header

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock