4.9 conversion help in Slidell, La by MyDream88GT
Started on: 09-02-2013 01:27 PM
Replies: 11 (419 views)
Last post by: madbrad01 on 09-04-2013 07:26 PM
MyDream88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyDream88GTSend a Private Message to MyDream88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking for someone to help with a 4.9 conversion in my 88. I am mechanically inclined but have never attempted something like this. I have contacted the Fiero Factory in Ga. and will us them if I have to but it is a hell of a trip for me and I would like to do all the prep work and the detail work to make sure the install is very clean. A pay/trade deal could be worked out, I just pulled the stock motor and is has about 60,000 miles on it, plus a new gasket set for it.

My options are..

1. Prep the cradle and suspension along with the engine bay and the engine as I want then rent a truck and trailer then take a 7 hr drive to drop it in Ga., then do the engine bay clean up and button up when it gets back.

2. Find a trust worthy person to help with the install and be able to "do it right the first time"

3. Try to do the complete install myself

Just like everyone else I have a budget so the more I can do myself the better. I have a friend that can do any welding I need and I already have my car in the air and the cradle dropped.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MyDream88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyDream88GTSend a Private Message to MyDream88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe a new approach.. Who is close to New Orleans that can do a 4.9 conversion?

[This message has been edited by MyDream88GT (edited 09-02-2013).]

Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
4.9's are not that hard if you have the engine harness made.
The axles are off the shelf at Autozone (if you are using the caddy 4 speed), the mounts are simple angle iron, and some universal trans mounts.
Fuel lines can be bought from a speed shop.
If you can replace a stock 2.8L, you can swap a 4.9.
Everything you need to know is on the forum

------------------
84 Fiero 2.8
84 Fiero 2.5
11 Camaro SS/RS LS3 6.2
13 Traverse LS 3.6
12 Silverado Z71 5.3
12 Tahoe LT 5.3

MyDream88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyDream88GTSend a Private Message to MyDream88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Then my next questions would be, who can make me a harness and doesn't the ecm have to be modified?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The stock, unmodded ECM can be used, but it sets a couple of codes.
There are people here who can program Caddy chips. (I do my own.)
If you start having chips made, pay particular attention to the broadcast code that's on yours. It'll be a 4 digit code. "BWYB" or similar. There are at least 5 different flavors of chips for the 4.9. Some of them will run in "limp mode" if you try to make them run a different version. In other words, just because a chip will run somebody else's car, doesn't mean that it will also run yours correctly.
I make it sound ugly, but the people who do chips already know this stuff, and usually know what works with what.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The harness is easy.
If you can read a wiring diagram, all of the info is on Mickey Moose's "my 4.9 wiring thread".
madbrad01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madbrad01Send a Private Message to madbrad01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to sell my drop out, heres a video of the car running. http://youtu.be/ydKnQEX2WBA
MyDream88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyDream88GTSend a Private Message to MyDream88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madbrad01:

I'm going to sell my drop out, heres a video of the car running. http://youtu.be/ydKnQEX2WBA

Tell me more..mileage, year of conversion, and anything you've done to it, oh and a price of course.

Thanks
Bill

MyDream88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyDream88GTSend a Private Message to MyDream88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

MyDream88GT

50 posts
Member since Aug 2013
PROBLEM SOLVED....

I just purchased a 4.9 already converted and ready to go with a low 42,000 miles on it. Thanks Steve, look forward to meeting you next month when I pick it up.

Bill
madbrad01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madbrad01Send a Private Message to madbrad01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with the swap, The v8s run well,i just needed more to run with my sons ls swap s10! buy the way, how much is the going price for a drop out?
MyDream88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MyDream88GTSend a Private Message to MyDream88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
$1200 with 42,000 miles on it.. Swap done by Ed Parks in 2010
PFF
System Bot
madbrad01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2013 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madbrad01Send a Private Message to madbrad01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock