The Aviator Project by XThirtySeven
Started on: 09-02-2013 12:42 AM
Replies: 21 (1319 views)
Last post by: fieroboy_gt on 06-01-2016 02:09 PM
XThirtySeven

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My name is Ermin and this is my 88. The reason its called The Aviator is because the color will be Aviator Grey from the Audi TT. Heres some of the progress I've made this months since I bought it for $1300. Big thank you to everyone on this forum for all the resourcefull things you've all posted.

The car itself 1988 GT V6 5 Speed with Beechwood interior and Premium Sound

]

Put in a removable steering wheel, I'm 6'2" so this makes it a little easier to get in as well as theft protection. Also brings the wheel closer to me which helps when my seat is all the way back

Speaking of seats, I put in some racing seats. I used the stock Fiero rails and bolted everything in the stock locations. I also put in racing harnesses and bolted them to the stock seatbelt location.

Next the Headlights got switched out since the stock ones suck. I popped in these EBAY lights with 100 watt bulbs and it greatly improved the asthetics and visibility. $35 for bulbs and headlights.

Next I decided to get a little more mechanical. The shocks are all blown so I needed to upgrade things. Found a DiY on here so I built my own rear coilovers. Popped them in today, they feel great.

Next is the rest of the suspension, I have a box full of polyurethane stuff and Rodney Dickman parts, just no time to put it in. In the next few months I'm dropping in a 3800 S/C and within 2 years I plan on doing the F355 kit.

------------------
I bought a Fiero because my friends said I shouldn't.

[This message has been edited by XThirtySeven (edited 09-02-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if you need some parts let me know i am local. and if your looking for an engine i might know someone who has one in excellent condition
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mmeyer86gt/gtp

3853 posts
Member since Sep 2001
if you need some parts let me know i am local. and if your looking for an engine i might know someone who has one in excellent condition
Shonyman32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shonyman32Send a Private Message to Shonyman32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How hard was it to put the seats in? Where did you buy them and they look very similar to SRT4 seats. Have you sat in SRT4 seats and if so how close are they?
XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shonyman32:

How hard was it to put the seats in? Where did you buy them and they look very similar to SRT4 seats. Have you sat in SRT4 seats and if so how close are they?

I have a friend with a SRT4, the SRT seats are better on the head support but they are a bit loose on the sides. I bought the seats on Craigslist they are called Type R Replicas. If you want a set they sell them on eBay for like $250 shipped. Instal was easy, I can post a very poorly made video if you'd like. It involves making 2 brackets out of Simpson ties.
XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

XThirtySeven

149 posts
Member since Aug 2013

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

Shoot me a text maybe youll have something that sparks my interest.

XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

XThirtySeven

149 posts
Member since Aug 2013
Here are the wheels I'm planning on getting, will they work? What tire size do you guys recommend?

(Why is it so difficult to put pix on this site!)

http://shop.klutchrepublik..../products/sl5-silver

------------------

CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2013 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Way cool!
Will be in touch soon.
Last week was crazy.
XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2013 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CC Rider:

Way cool!
Will be in touch soon.
Last week was crazy.

I look forward to the email. Im itching to do more to this car.
XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2013 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well despite everyone saying not to get the VFiber kit, I went and did it anyway. Fitment is what you would expect. I had to struggle to get the tail lights in and the front bumper doesn't align well with the fenders. The sideskirts however fit great though I may sell themo buy a different set. I think they made a mold and then made the bumpers off the outside of the mold because the molds are bigger than they should be. However for the price I can overlook some of the imperfections. It ended up at $592 shipped. It came with a mesh grille but I ordered a Honeycomb ABS grille to make it look nicer. Later I will try to use a badgless MK4 Jetta grille to get a different look. I went to the Junkyard and bought 95 Maxima turn signals, the challenge will be mounting them. I have to find some fog lights and also find out how to mount them.

XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brought something home for the Fiero tonight, don't tell the wife

------------------

PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 03:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey if you are happy with it, that is all that matters.

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this project.

Good luck and keep tweeking !
IIKool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2013 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not crazy about the front, But really like the back
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 04:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anything new ?
XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2013 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somewhat, I've been busy cleaning the garage so I can park it for the winterand start the swap.

Also ordered different wheels because I wanted something lighter and the shop was jerking me around with my previous order. I got 17/18x8 ET45 Enkei RPF1s in Gold and 215/40/17 245/40/18 BF Goodrich GForce Tires. Also got a great deal on a vinyl wrap for the car instead of paint so I put 2/3rds down and will pay it off after the guy is back from SEMA. I need to redye my old Corbeau A4 seat and swit h out the seats that are in it now. I will probably only end up running 1 seat. Ive decided to tale this build into a different directions and build it to go race. With California having a ton of great tracks and plenty of autocross opportunities, its time for me to partake in something I've admired a long time. The front end suspension and stesring rack is coming out next weekend and I'm replacing the bushings with poly and adding lowering springs and lowering ball joints. Starting to gather pieces for a 12" Corvette brake upgrade aswell.
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What brand of wrap? I am considering buying one unless I can actually decide on a color.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That cars gonna be sweet when you get it done
XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

That cars gonna be sweet when you get it done

Thank you I really hope it will be.

Originally posted by LornesGT:

What brand of wrap? I am considering buying one unless I can actually decide on a color.

Avery, my friend is certified to wrap and has a spare roll of black so he is doing it for half off his normal cost. If anyone in Norcal is interested he will do a Fiero for $1400.
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2013 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a set of those seats. Very comfortable but the drivers wore fairly quickly from getting in and out.

DF
XThirtySeven

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XThirtySevenSend a Private Message to XThirtySevenEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well its definitely turning into a long time project. This weekend we pulled the motor and craddle out and will be slowly putting a 3.4 LQ1 in. I have all my poly bushings just have to figure out how to press them ino the craddle and accesories. Then im gonna order a clutch and try to start mocking up the crate motor. I have a feeling this car will be done next summer or later.

CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2014 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like fun - good luck and let me know if I can help

------------------
Red 1988 GT 5 speed LQ1 Powered
Poly all around, Koni's and Lowered
Items for sale - cradle support - 3800 tranny mounts
http://s733.photobucket.com/albums/ww339/CC_Rider/

PFF
System Bot
fieroboy_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2016 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroboy_gtSend a Private Message to fieroboy_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How have the V Fiber stuff held up for you ? Was thinking about getting the front fenders an that same rear bumper.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock