Would this fit in the front of a fiero? by Shill
Started on: 08-26-2013 12:21 AM
Replies: 11 (590 views)
Last post by: FIEROPHREK on 08-27-2013 09:06 AM
Shill

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ShillSend a Private Message to ShillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have a stripped chassis to measure? not wanting to modify any structural pieces.

http://www.summitracing.com.../abt-sa144/overview/
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Over 2' x 2' and just under 1-1/2' high? I seriously doubt it without cutting and modifying structural pieces.
n7vrz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be willing to bet a good chunk of money on your handling going in the crapper with the extra 270+ pounds of weight that you would add to the front end.
1 gal of gasoline weight is 6.073 lbs
44 X 6.073 = 267.212
Add to that the weight of the tank/lines/pump/support brackets/etc.
Yes, you would lose some front end weight with the removal of stuff to fit the tank but not nearly enough to offset what you add on.
So, now you have the tank installed and filled. Did you put in stronger springs to support the extra weight?
You didn't? Well I hope you like riding around on the bump stops.
You did? What's the ride going to be like when you burn off that fuel and don't have the added mass to compress the springs when you hit a bump?
Just my thoughts.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Front of car is a crumple zone ... bad place for a fuel tank.
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Front of car is a crumple zone ... bad place for a fuel tank.

At least this is a fuel cell, the VW beetle had a pop can of a gas tank up front and it was much more of a crumple zone. I wonder how many of the MILLIONS of bugs burst into flames after a heavy front end impact...I would not do it though....
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

At least this is a fuel cell, the VW beetle had a pop can of a gas tank up front and it was much more of a crumple zone. I wonder how many of the MILLIONS of bugs burst into flames after a heavy front end impact...I would not do it though....

I wouldn't do it. Even fuel cells can leak.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is what I would do is check into the PPG pace cars and even contact Fred on his. They installed fuel cells in all those cars for on track requirements. I am not sure of the size but it did not require cutting or kill the handling. But then again it may have only been a 8 gallon cell too. I am not sure how much they held. I had some photos but not digital of them. They fit in very nicely but they were shaped differently.

unless you need it for racing it would be a lot of work for something that is not really needed for the street. The cost would well out weigh the cool factor. The stock tank is in a great location and is very safe. Lets face it a car has to go through you to get to it.

Either way check out the real indy pace cars and the PPG Pace cars and see how they did it as they worked fined there.
aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spencer, that tank is worth more than your car in its current condition. not trying to be mean, but WHY??? If you REALLY want more gallons, get an '87-'88 tank and expansion tank and bolt them in.

------------------

Build thread for my 88 + 3800NA swap

FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not something like this ?

It's 4 gallons so the extra weight shouldn't be a problem. Mounted it in the front compartment and plumb the lines into the front of the fieros fuel tank. If you plumb it right you can fill both tanks from the front. The only problem is you will stay on full forever until the fuel is used out of the vertical tank.

------------------
ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

[This message has been edited by FIEROPHREK (edited 08-26-2013).]

jaredmurray88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I remember seeing something about a summit or jegs cell that was wedge shaped that fit right in the front..
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:The only problem is you will stay on full forever until the fuel is used out of the vertical tank.

I wouldn't really say that's a problem... I also wouldn't mount where the top of the new tank is any higher than the fill neck at the back.
PFF
System Bot
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doober:

I wouldn't really say that's a problem... I also wouldn't mount where the top of the new tank is any higher than the fill neck at the back.

Exactly! Mount it at the same height or slightly lower than the normal filler so you don't overfill and make a mess.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock