Started on: 08-24-2013 10:06 AM
Replies: 18 (496 views)
Last post by: nosrac on 08-27-2013 08:48 PM
thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know the XP cam works best with stock heads with minor upgrades. But will the better flowing characteristics of the stage 2 heads with #130 springs be a better option or will it be more of a hinderance. Just getting ready to start my second 3.8sc engine prep. This will be coupled with a full stack IC, a ported and polished SC with boost bypass eliminated, ported lower intake manifold, double roller timing chain, 42.5 lb injectors, and a few other small things...
Of course my second option would be to just get an XPZ cam to use with the stage two heads but just doing a check to see what will work best.. Thanks !!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Better heads is pretty much always a good thing, the XP hot cam is designed to work with stock heads but does not have to be done that way. I have seen builds with the VS cam and modified heads working quite well as well. Dan
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by thismanyfieros:

Of course my second option would be to just get an XPZ cam to use with the stage two heads but just doing a check to see what will work best.. Thanks !!

This ^^^^ is BEST !
However, it ain't that much better. You may gain 25+ horses for an additional $$$.

I would go with stock heads (Wbody store CNC if your old heads are toast), XP cam, 130# springs, Full IC, Gen V, N* & a custom tune to take advantage of the mods.

thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wasnt 100% sure Dan but was thinking it should be ok to run. Just didnt want to hit a snag in tuning with the XP not "running" right.
thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thismanyfieros

3468 posts
Member since Dec 2002
Nosrac... The engine I am building on is higher miles at 110,000.. I just have been picking up pieces to put this other project together for a few years now and its time to poop or get off the pot!! The top is off and its really really super clean so I am not worried about it being higher miles. I do have the option of using #105's on the stock heads on it, or using my stage 2's with the 130"s... The ported SC and LIM puts me at the same output as a Gen 5 so i might as well use it. I do have cosmetic gaskets but i am a bit uneasy about using them as some people havent had the best of luck with them. It all boils down to making final decisions and tearing into it. Thanks for the opinions..
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can the series II intercooler not be used on the GEN V SC. I have a series II short stack cooler here and from what I can see it should work, every thing lines up including the larger opening in the cooler with the gen V intake and even the hole for the PCV valve lines up. Dan
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2013 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about E85 and 60 # injectors instead of that expensive intercooler?

------------------
84 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 3.0 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -12.05 at 111.7mph

thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No E85 available up here... plus that leads to dropping the tank to swap out fuel pump and hoses for E85 compatable components even if it was available..
thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thismanyfieros

3468 posts
Member since Dec 2002
Dan when looking on the ZZP site its only a 30 added charge to get a kit for th gen5 versus the gen 3 kit.. Doesnt really say what the extra 30 is for though??? My guess would something like a different gasket kit?
FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Possibly gaskets or bolts maybe, I know when I compare the two intakes they are identical except for the size of the main opening for the air the gen V is larger of course but the SS intercooler covers that area with its opening so basically if I was to use the SS on the series II I would have opened up the intake to line up with the SS opening which would have made the intake now the same as the GEN V. Will toss up some photos later to show what I mean. Dan
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nosrac... The engine I am building on is higher miles at 110,000.. I just have been picking up pieces to put this other project together for a few years now and its time to poop or get off the pot!! The top is off and its really really super clean so I am not worried about it being higher miles. I do have the option of using #105's on the stock heads on it, or using my stage 2's with the 130"s... The ported SC and LIM puts me at the same output as a Gen 5 so i might as well use it. I do have cosmetic gaskets but i am a bit uneasy about using them as some people havent had the best of luck with them. It all boils down to making final decisions and tearing into it. Thanks for the opinions..

The 130# springs will allow you to rev to ~6500 rpm
But need double roller and machined cover.

However, the 105# on stock heads will work just fine.
Unless you have a tuner all those high HP mods will be underutilized.
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2013 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I gather we're talking about a 3800 S/C?

A noobie reading this thread wouldn't have a clue what you're talking about.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-25-2013).]

thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Third line in first post clearly states starting my second 3.8sc swap.. Get your glasses on Tony!!
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Third line in first post clearly states starting my second 3.8sc swap.. Get your glasses on Tony!!

Obviously easy to miss (and I did) but I would have mentioned it FIRST.

Just getting ready to start my second 3.8sc engine prep.

I know the XP cam works best with stock heads with minor upgrades. But will the better flowing characteristics of the stage 2 heads with #130 springs be a better option or will it be more of a hinderance. This will be coupled with a full stack IC, a ported and polished SC with boost bypass eliminated, ported lower intake manifold, double roller timing chain, 42.5 lb injectors, and a few other small things...

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-26-2013).]

thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didnt throw this question out there for noobs to reply in. Maybe thats why it is worded the way it is. The 3.8sc isnt a noob engine or swap, its a more of a question for the guys who have been there done that. If a noob wants to know what I am talking about, that is what our Pm system or the ability to post on the thread is for.
thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thismanyfieros

3468 posts
Member since Dec 2002
Nosrac: I do have the double roller and machined cover plus the two gaskets it space it out. So that is covered too!!
thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2013 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

thismanyfieros

3468 posts
Member since Dec 2002
And I just bought Hp tuners too boot!!
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nosrac:

The 130# springs will allow you to rev to ~6500 rpm
But need double roller and machined cover.

However, the 105# on stock heads will work just fine.
Unless you have a tuner all those high HP mods will be underutilized.

I have had pretty good luck running stock tune stuff on cam setups.. Fine tuning has never produced results better than the base tune stuff I have ever done, and I hold quite a few "mod for mod" records out there.

Overall ported heads are a really bad mod for the money.. For the money you have into ported heads you can easily get 98% of a turbo setup on a car that will make HUNDEREDS more horsepower on stock heads than a m90 would make on modded heads.
nosrac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2013 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I have had pretty good luck running stock tune stuff on cam setups.. Fine tuning has never produced results better than the base tune stuff I have ever done, and I hold quite a few "mod for mod" records out there.

Overall ported heads are a really bad mod for the money.. For the money you have into ported heads you can easily get 98% of a turbo setup on a car that will make HUNDEREDS more horsepower on stock heads than a m90 would make on modded heads.

Well I agree with you 100% as that has been my experience as well.

Technically speaking, The more mods you do the faster you can go but the real world HP numbers in the M90 based 3800 is the law of diminishing returns.

Dramatically different builds and mod levels (stock vs $$$ mods) are within the same HP level ~280 to ~380 give or take 20hp. With a turbo that is NOT the case.

[This message has been edited by nosrac (edited 08-27-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock