What can I expect next by a gem
Started on: 08-21-2013 11:17 PM
Replies: 5 (264 views)
Last post by: pontiackid86 on 08-23-2013 10:25 PM
a gem

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for a gemSend a Private Message to a gemEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my 1984 SE has only 50 thousand miles on it, what wears out or fails as the car puts on more miles? I'd appreciate any heads-up you can give to me. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whatever breaks first.

Seriously, it's really difficult to go off of mileage in cases like this because your car is now 30 years old. 30 years is a long, LONG time. Rubber seals and such know age, and even with lower mileage on them can still see accelerated wear due to the passage of time.

You can simply follow the maintenance schedule as outlined. However I would constantly keep an eye on all suspension components and constantly check the engine for any potential first sign of leaks, i.e., any grime remove it immediately.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has your car been driven every year? If it sat for 15 years the problems will be different than if it has been lightly used all the time. If it sat for 15 years under a tree the problems will be even worse. Another variable is what part of the country you are in. I'm not gonna tell you to worry about rusted brake lines in Las Vegas....
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in 2007, I bought an 84 with 68,000 miles. It was driven, but not very much, the second owner had the car for 20 years and put 30,000 on it. I started driving it everyday, usually about 500 miles a week. It now has about 150,000 on the odometer. I have changed (not counting tune ups and reg maintenance like brakes etc):
All four tires (the set that came with the car didn't last a couple of weeks, they were old and a couple of them became egg shaped). on my third set of tires now
Three rear wheel bearings
motor mounts
All bushings, ball joints and rod ends in front end (the car now has 88 rear cradle)
Cam gear, replaced it with the phenolic gear and had to replace that again with an aluminum gear
Multiple starters, (for some reason I go through starters so I get the lifetime one and just exchange it for free when it goes bad. (They are re-manufactured in China mostly but the Mexican one in there now seems to be holding up
Clutch
fuel pump
Radiator
Radiator fan (used late model fan from Toyota mini van
Ignition module
Lifters (one collapsed on me while driving)
Engine needed new rings ( I suppose they PO never really drove the car at high RPMs like I do on the highway so it developed too much blowby at about 100K miles). I changed the rings, pistons and rod bearings. I also lowered the rpms by about 10% by going to 17" rims and 50 series tires

It may sound like alot but it what you have to expect when you buy an old car, especially one that was rarely driven or driven around town at low speed and low rpms. I still look at it this way.... it is cheaper than a car payment.

a gem

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for a gemSend a Private Message to a gemEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the information. The car was driven and very well taken car of . It looks inside and out like a new car. I'm sure it was parked in the garage at PO's and there is no evidence of it ever being dirty. I just wish I had a maintenance record. no rust on it at all. It's clean like new not clean like cleaned up.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2013 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by a gem:

my 1984 SE has only 50 thousand miles on it, what wears out or fails as the car puts on more miles? I'd appreciate any heads-up you can give to me. Thanks
on an almost 30 year old car.....what couldent fail

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock