Hardest plug job ever... by evowake
Started on: 08-20-2013 06:00 PM
Replies: 11 (380 views)
Last post by: evowake on 08-21-2013 03:24 PM
evowake

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for evowakeSend a Private Message to evowakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thought you might all enjoy this! I've never seen a plug casing shear like this... let alone twice.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WoW! What a nightmare! How did you ever getting those 2 out? I see the threads "removed" from the center one, and still in tact on the left one. I bet one thing, it is running smoother now, Looking at the gap on the left one, I have to wonder if it was able to fire with a stick coil.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I feel your pain -------
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just changed out the plugs in my freshly acquired '88 GT and they looked just like that! None of mine broke (thankfully!), but all were pretty rusty and well worn. Runs better with fresh plugs in her.
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing the broken ones were cylinders 2 and 4...because those are the hardest to access. Question is....were the plugs in the rear bank the same kind of plugs? Or was this another case where a PO replaced the rear ones, then lost his nerve before doing the front?
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys are troopers

With my limited tools/ resources I probably would've given up, I shudder thinking about it!
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it happened to me as well...
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The plug that broke on mine was dead center hard against the fire wall - last turn of the easy out broke it loose. There was no sign of anti-seize on the plugs!

[This message has been edited by steve308 (edited 08-21-2013).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Geez, I think rust was the only thing holding those plugs together.
I feel like I need a tetanus shot just from looking at those things.
Kit
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rourke_87_T-Top:

Extracted !

I feel ya

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine usually break the ceramic off too if they are going to break from being stuck. Wow I've seen rusty cars in the woods for 40 years with better looking plugs than those.
PFF
System Bot
evowake

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for evowakeSend a Private Message to evowakeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a common hurdle for us!

The crappy threads on the middle one are from me grabbing it with channel locks to twist it off of the ez-out!

all 6 plugs were the same. The car only has 36k miles on it, so they were as original as can be. Don't have the car back together yet, but after it's ready i'll have replaced:

plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ign. coil, egr valve, shift/select cables, tires, shocks, and struts. It's going to be a WHOLE new car

[This message has been edited by evowake (edited 08-21-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock