Tacho Reading High? by Cruza
Started on: 08-20-2013 06:35 AM
Replies: 6 (1448 views)
Last post by: Doober on 08-22-2013 08:57 PM
Cruza

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CruzaSend a Private Message to CruzaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A little background: I live in Australia and am 17. I have a 1985 Fiero gt as a weekend car and recently I have had enough money to start restoring it.
I recently replaced the coil and ever since the tacho has been playing up reading about 1000 to 1500 RPM higher than its actually idling. The coil is a Bosch coil MEC717.
is there anything that i could be damaging from this? Have I done something wrong? I'm not sure as i don't know too much about Fiero's.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe you need a new tach filter.
James_GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James_GTSend a Private Message to James_GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Cruza,

I'm from Australia too. I bought my GT when I was 17 and have owned it now for nearly 5 years and have been driving it daily. They're exciting cars to own, so I hope you enjoy yours too.

As TopNotch suggested. The tach filter might be a good place to start, since they're inexpensive to replace. Rodney Dickman sells those (www.rodneydickman.com).

Was the tach reading correctly before you replaced the coil?
Cruza

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CruzaSend a Private Message to CruzaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James_GT:

Hi Cruza,

I'm from Australia too. I bought my GT when I was 17 and have owned it now for nearly 5 years and have been driving it daily. They're exciting cars to own, so I hope you enjoy yours too.

As TopNotch suggested. The tach filter might be a good place to start, since they're inexpensive to replace. Rodney Dickman sells those (www.rodneydickman.com).

Was the tach reading correctly before you replaced the coil?

Yes, the tach was reading correctly before I replaced the coil. the car sat around for about 4-5 years before I bought it so not everything works well. when I bought it, it wasn't idling properly, so I figured to start with the coil.
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Australasian Fiero owners unite!

Mine's doing the same thing on the stock coil, I've been meaning to suss out a new tach filter for a while but just haven't gotten around to it.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just picked up an '88 Formula which had no instrument cluster. I've tried three different clusters, and the tach only reads correctly on one of them. One of the other tachs reads more than double and the other one reads nothing.

I did some research and I suspect it's the capacitor for the tachs which has failed. Read about this Here.

Originally posted by Lambykin:

Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2013 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You'd be correct, Fieros aren't the only one plagued with this. G-Bodies (Malibu, Monte Carlo, etc.) and F-Bodies (Camaro/Firebird) from the same era have had the same issues.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock