Started on: 08-19-2013 11:03 AM
Replies: 9 (574 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 08-21-2013 02:08 PM
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking about having a custom alternator built for my 3800SC. Do any of you guys have any issues running the stock (88) 2.8L alternator? I don't think it can keep up enough especially at 94amps. Especially with my HID's, bigger motor, all the extra electronics, stereo, amp, subwoofer, etc. I was going to do the PowerMaster 140amp one from Summit or Jegs, but they don't really do much over stock until 2400rpm. I want it to have more power at idle, etc to really help. So I submitted some info to a custom alternator website that only does them and gave them my specs and what I was looking for. Didn't know if anyone else had a custom one built per their specs.
Thanks,
Amir

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rare87GT (edited 08-19-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
quick question... what type of battery, and age of that battery?
Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Battery is an Optima Red Top.
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am using 140amp alternator designed for a 1998 Bonneville that I got from Rock Auto. Have not driven my car enough to know if it works well, and my car is no where near the level of yours as far as power draw or power made (pretty much stock everything besides 3800 s/c)

------------------
--Jeff aka mrfred8
- 88 Yellow GT
- 86 Silver SE (3800 s/c)
Fieros For Sale

[This message has been edited by mrfred8 (edited 08-19-2013).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any local alternator shop can upgrade the internals and change the pulley size.

Keep you money in the local economy.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Any local alternator shop can upgrade the internals and change the pulley size.

Keep you money in the local economy.

While true, it is getting harder and harder to find one, except in a larger town.

Rare87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the reply I got back from Mechman Alternators. Looks like the real deal and with a 10 year warranty, I like how they operate and their customer service.

Amir-

OK, that is no problem. We have actually designed an alternator housing that is carved out of a solid chunk of T6061 aluminum that houses cutting edge 6 phase hairpin stator internals. These internal components offer MUCH better output at idle than any other alternator on the market, and can easily survive 100,000+ miles in the harshest conditions. They feature TWO internal rectifiers that are each 3 times the size of the original Delco alternator rectifier. Our units also have 12 giant press fit diodes, as opposed to the 6 tiny diodes your stock alternator has. These features, along with incredibly efficient dual cooling fans, allow the alternator to cool better, and make more power when hot. Billet-Tech units are stable to 20,000 rpm shaft speed, making them far more durable in high-performance racing applications than other aftermarket alternators. The unit is a direct bolt in/plug in replacement for your original alternator, is made in the USA, and comes with a 10 year warranty. This unit will easily maintain 14+ volts at idle, even with all of your accessories running.

150 amp
300 rpm turn on
500 rpm - 100 amps
800 rpm - 120 amps
1200 rpm - 150 amps
$349

Polished, Chrome, or black anodized aluminum finishes are available at additional cost.

You can see a dyno test video showing the incredible idle output here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-j3QNVXN6k

You can learn more about these cutting edge units at: www.billetalternator.com

Matthew Young
(865)522-6166
1-888-MECHMAN
mlogan@mechman.com
www.mechman.com
www.billetalternator.com
www.trucktoughalternators.com
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2013 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nv missed the price
------------------
Dan
Build Thread

[This message has been edited by KOS (edited 08-19-2013).]

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2013 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something similar - at a similar price.
http://www.trucktoughaltern...144-replacement.html

140A @ idle
240A @1700rpm

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2013 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also came across this 220A rebuild kit for $107
http://www.aspwholesale.com...wProd&productId=5159

...and this place http://www.dbelectrical.com...skylark-cutlass.aspx
110 amps @ 600rpm
220 amps @ 1200rpm

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 08-21-2013).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors