Fierari build Thread, picture heavy ^_^ by FakearriGT
Started on: 08-12-2013 09:06 PM
Replies: 17 (680 views)
Last post by: RCR on 08-10-2014 04:34 PM
FakearriGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FakearriGTSend a Private Message to FakearriGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK Gentlemen and Ladies, I figured I would shower you all with the wonderious building of the first car I purchased outright.

I will start at the beginning, some of these pictures you all may have seen before but there will be many additional updated photos and notes so here we go.

To start off, it was 2008, there I was, the center of Iraq, just gotten off patrol, and I thought to myself, "hey, I've got some money saved up, it would be sweet to own a kit car, lets see what I can find", so after searching around for a bit I found that most were ridiculously overpriced and didn't warrant that price considering they generally all still had stock Fiero engines in them. Then I stumbled across this gem

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FakearriGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FakearriGTSend a Private Message to FakearriGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sigh, don't hit enter when making a topic.

Anyways, after seeing that picture i said oh sweet a ferrari kit, those I always thought were cool, so I looked at the price, which was insanely doable, so i started to get excited, below are some more of the photos with the listing

I decided to pull the trigger on it without seeing the car in person, which, in retrospect was a bad idea after seeing the condition of the car when it arrived at home.

this photo sums up how rough the car really was

I bought the car thinking I could use it as a daily driver, those dreams were out the window as the car was gone over and we realized it barely ran, when it did it ran terrible, and it wouldn't shift into gear at all

Fast forward....4 years, 2012, we (we is my brother and I) decide it's about time to rip into this car to try to see if we can get it up and running, I had tried selling it to no avail due to the issues it had, so with this in mind we decided to pull the engine, which as a side note is a ridiculous task when you are using your driveway as a bay -_-

here is a video of it running and a few shots of it prior to us pulling the engine

So, we tore into the engine, ripped it out the passenger side wheel well, transmission and all, to begin the process of repairing it.

First things first, because it wasn't shifting properly we figured the transmission was bad, but it turns out the transmission was out of a Beretta, which being a FWD car, had a FWD shifter mechanisim on it, so we put a RWD one on and boom good to go. Then my brother ran the computer through some checks and decided the whole thing was junk, so more money later we put a new computer in it and it started to read out proper codes.

Without too much detail pretty much all the vacuum hoses were junk coolant issues a few other things here and there, here's a few shots of some of that work

Sooo, cleaned up the top of the engine make it look alot better repainted some of it, and then it sat again for a little while.

fast forward to this summer, I had purchased a year or 2 ago the front Fi512 bumper from Amida, and decided it was time to get some serious work done on the car to get it either drive worthy or sell worth which ever comes first....
FakearriGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FakearriGTSend a Private Message to FakearriGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FakearriGT

19 posts
Member since Dec 2010
so we went to work, we sanded and bondo'ed and primed and sanded some more and one problem lead to another, we were going to just touch up the areas that had issues, however, after much deliberation we decided to just do the whole car and get it over with, sooooo.....

here's a few shots of it hanging out at the house next to my brother's car

so here is my rugged self while home working on the car in the garage, my dad's working over the front end

after a week straight of body work and fixing the exhaust on the car it was time to get going on it. The exhaust it felt was a big issue for why the car didn't run right, and then we realized some idiot before us had adjusted the car's idle, so instead of running at a cool 1100 range it was set down to around 550, which caused it to pretty much never stay running, so problem solved it ran great after that.

here's my bro welding up some exhaust patches

and now onto the pre-final product, sanded ready for paint

and a sneaky shot while work is happening....

[This message has been edited by FakearriGT (edited 08-09-2014).]

FakearriGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FakearriGTSend a Private Message to FakearriGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FakearriGT

19 posts
Member since Dec 2010
And, a few coats later, this is what the car came out looking like....I will go ahead and admit that it didn't come out perfect, and as i type this the car is finishing wet sanding and is being resprayed a few more coats to make sure it's good to go, it's a learning process sometimes, but the pictures thankfully don't show any issues so you can appreciate it for how it will be when complete.

Overall very pleased with the car, however it's definitely been a money pit that i'd much rather get rid of, that said I love owning a fiero because I love the community, I rarely post up here but I love reading the threads here and the DIY that everyone does to make their cars that much nicer.

I'm sorry I don't have more photos, I had some but they've come and gone, one funny story before I go, the mail man stopped by to drop off a package and he expressed concern to my dad because the "red car" was gone, it had not moved in so long that it became almost a fixture in the yard haha, I'm hoping that will change with it being back up to snuff, enjoy.
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Diggin it!

Nice job so far.

HAGO!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nice choice on the Amida nose, makes a HUGE difference.

The car has come a long way, great job.
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This car is screaming for a choptop!

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2013 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Boostdreamer:

This car is screaming for a choptop!

100%

jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
nice car, Chop top would be sweet... Thank you for your service.

------------------

87 GT
series 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a
My Build

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love TRs, but honestly I've always hated that kit,,,Until you put Amida's 512 nose on it. That is sooooo much better. Looks really good so far. Way to stick with it.

Bob
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

I love TRs, but honestly I've always hated that kit,,,Until you put Amida's 512 nose on it. That is sooooo much better. Looks really good so far. Way to stick with it.

Bob

+1 It's looking great!

I've never understood the super long overhung facias that kit makers seem to think will pass as more authentic just because it matches the overall length of the original car. That original nose... uck.

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 08-13-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2013 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Photoshop chop by 85SEnochie:

------------------
Jonathan

'68-69 GTO Nose - The Project has Begun!
My '85 L67 Build Thread

[This message has been edited by Boostdreamer (edited 08-13-2013).]

no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2013 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DAT NOSE...

Nice job!
FakearriGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FakearriGTSend a Private Message to FakearriGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey there. figured i'd post an update to the car

Finally came home, redid body and repainted.

Alot of the body work we did the first time we cleaned up a bit this time around, and i did alot of finishing touches to it, as well as working on the engine a bit more, turned out we replaced the ECM with another bad ECM, so I found another that was still good, and it runs and drives fine now, finally.

some of the body work being done

the main problem area being fixed up again and again until it got right

some shots of it in the booth and then completed in the booth

didn't stop there though, i was rejuvenated from having the paint done by a professional, even if it was still in the garage, so I went about doing a bunch of finisher work to get it perfect

firstly i undercoated the wheel wells, which came out great, really gave it a professional finish feel
FakearriGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FakearriGTSend a Private Message to FakearriGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FakearriGT

19 posts
Member since Dec 2010
you know, i don't know why the photos are upside down, they are rightside up on photobucket and on my computer, i hate you technology
So then i went about painting the doors, giving it them some depth

FakearriGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FakearriGTSend a Private Message to FakearriGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FakearriGT

19 posts
Member since Dec 2010
And so here's the finished product as she sits. it's been a long road the last 6 years. I decided after having it that long and bringing it back from the dead that I'm going to sell it, let someone enjoy it, since it will only sit in my garage collecting dust and breaking down from lack of use otherwise, bitter sweet but i think it's the best call to make

FakearriGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FakearriGTSend a Private Message to FakearriGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FakearriGT

19 posts
Member since Dec 2010

Brought it to a local weekly car show and drew a crowd the whole time, and have had drivers stop on the road to ask me if it was real or not, so i'm very happy with the final product, and to as of right now call it mine.

thanks for looking hopefully not too many pictures.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pictures look good. That's probably the nicest looking short wheel base TR I've seen. Too bad you won't be enjoying it longer.

I will make one suggestion to paint the belt molding red on the front fender.

Nice job.

Bob

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock